WALKING CHALLENGES - Your pick!

Options
In addition to the daily exercises "challenges" that we will have to do, you will have the opportunity to sign up for a "walking challenge" and / or a "running challenge". See below and be thinking of which of these challenges you want to sign up for! (You dont "have" to sign up for a walking or running challenge, but just know that it will help toward your overall calories burned for the challenge weeks.)

13 WEEK WALKING AND RUNNING CHALLENGES.......

These personal challenges are meant to take you the full 13 weeks to complete. Feel free to pick one - or don't do any!! REMEMBER, THESE WALKING/RUNNING CHALLENGES WILL BE IN ADDITION TO YOUR EVERYDAY EXERCISE CHALLENGES, so don't bite off more than you can "chew"!

The "EVENING WALK" CHALLENGE - This is a 65 mile challenge walk/run, bike or treadmill. You will have the entire 13 weeks to work on getting in these "miles". You will give me weekly updates as to where you are on your "miles". Do the math (13 weeks, X 5 days per week = 65 days of walking. Divide that into 65 miles and you will have to walk 1 mile per day 5 days/week for the entire 13 weeks.) Remember, this will be IN ADDITION to your daily exercise challenges. Let me know if you want to commit to this challenge.

The "SERIOUS COMMITMENT" CHALLENGE - This is a 130 mile challenge walk/run, bike or treadmill. This challenge is for those of us that do ALOT of walking/running and/or biking! This works out to be 2 miles per day if you walk 5 days per week for the 13 weeks!! Remember, this will be IN ADDITION to your daily exercise challenges. If you think you are up for it - commit to this challenge!

The "TRIATHELON" CHALLENGE! - This is a 250 mile challenge walk/run, bike or treadmill. This challenge works out to be 3.2 miles per day if you walk/jog/bike 6 days per week, or 3.84 miles per day if you do it 5 days per week. Put another way - this equals out to 19.25 miles per week for 13 weeks!! Again, this is in addition to your daily exercise challenges. This is a good one for those of you who like to bike as well as walk. Those biker miles can add up fast - so who's up for this one?

The "GOLD MEDALIST" CHALLENGE (also known as the "show off" challenge... hehehe. This challenge is 400 miles - to be completed over the 13 week course. This is the ultimate walking/running, biking challenge (treadmill too!) This works out to be 30.76 miles per week for 13 weeks! Dont forget - this is IN ADDITION to your daily exercise challenges. I think that 'm gonna tackle this one!! Who's with me?

C25K CHALLENGE - This is just that. The "couch to a 5K Marathon challenge!! The C25K program runs for 9 weeks, so our 13 week Summertime challenge will be perfect for those of us that sometimes need to "repeat" a week for one reason or another. It would be fun for us to do this together and cheer each other on to a real 5K !! Also, if you chose to do this running challenge, keep track of the "miles" that you have run - they count toward your walking/run, bike, or treadmill challenge that is listed above!!

B210K (Bridge to 10 K) CHALLENGE - Obviously - this is for those more advanced runners that want to try to push themselves from the 5K level to the 10K level - more power to ya!!! I'm the wimp that can't run and am STILL trying to do the C25K program!! Hehe. The app that I downloaded to my phone for this challenge shows that this is actually a 14 week challenge - but it will be exciting to watch as you "runners" advance through the ranks and we can cheer you on!! Let me know if you are interested in doing this extra challenge. Again, if you chose to do this running challenge, keep track of the "miles" that you have run - they count toward your walking/run, bike, or treadmill challenge that is listed above!!

We will have additional "fun" challenges like crunches, bear walking, hula hooping and jumping rope. If you can think of anything "fun" that you want to make a team challenge out of - please let me know!! These will not be for "points" just for fun.

Replies

• Figment14300
    Options
    I def am interested in the evening walk challenge, I am currenlty trying to walk a mile or more 4-5 days a week so that would be perfect for me! :smile: Something attainable but also keeps me motivated to stay on track with my current walking schedule
  • carriel1976
    carriel1976 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oooooh fun! I am going to choose the serious commitment option. I would do more but, my plan is to do pilates and kickboxing as the heart of my cardio and can only fit I so much. Thank you for working so hard on these challenges.
  • cath1717
    cath1717 Posts: 120
    Options
    Definitely the "Evening walk challenge" for me as I need to train for my 21 miles "Walk for feminine cancer" that I have to walk in one day, August 25th.

I have to raise 1 250$ for the research of Feminin cancer. If you want to encourage me and the good cause, you can donnate here: http://www.endcancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Montreal2012?px=2639527&pg=personal&fr_id=1461&s_locale=en_US

I'm missing only 155$ to achive my goal! :D

Catherine
  • Balance79
    Balance79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do the Serious commitment Challenge! (I'm in week 4 of training myself to run a 1/2 marathon in May, ...so, I plan to log all of my miles for this).
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know I can push and walk the evening walk. I think just getting out before I settle down at night will be a nice change.
  • musky4
    musky4 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    hmm - INTERESTING - just one question --

what does our daily/weekly already committed commitments look like :)

i would have to know that b/4 i could 'add' anything else.

I very much like the idea that a walking challenge can count towards the main challenge -
    but i am leary only because if i have to do ... like 100 up/downs and stair climbs, plus God only knows what -
    i would not be able to 'add' too much more - -ya know what i mean?

maybe i'm just TOO much OUT of shape :)

thank you so much!!
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Question: So by "in addition to the daily exercises" do you mean the walking challenge exercise won't count toward the minutes and the calorie burn we need?
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in doing the evening walk challenge, but I'm not sure how to track my miles, just how long I walked for. :frown:
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    Question: So by "in addition to the daily exercises" do you mean the walking challenge exercise won't count toward the minutes and the calorie burn we need?

Yes. It will count. It's just not a "required" challenge. I just don't want any one to be "overwhelmed" thinking that they have to commit to a walking challenge of this size. If anyone does NOT want to commit - but still wants to walk and count those calories - they can do it that way.

Musky - it's going to be like last fall's challenge as far as having to do about 3-4 different "exercises" everyday for 6 days. Burpees, push-ups, etc.

I'm planning on posting an example on the blog tonight so that people can see what a typical day's challenges look like.
  • amazing_grace♥
    Options
    I'm interested in doing the evening walk challenge, but I'm not sure how to track my miles, just how long I walked for. :frown:

I have a free app on my Android phone that has a GPS that lets me know how far I walked and how many miles I walked. Also, if you have a certain "route" that you walk, perhaps you could drive it (by car) and see how many miles it is.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    Options
    Does the walking actually have to be done in the evening?
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    Options

I have a free app on my Android phone that has a GPS that lets me know how far I walked and how many miles I walked. Also, if you have a certain "route" that you walk, perhaps you could drive it (by car) and see how many miles it is.

Thank you very much!! I don't drive, but I will find an app. :smile:
  • Cazzy42
    Cazzy42 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi. Can you put me down for the evening walk challenge!!! Thanks. C
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am going to commit to the triathlon challenge but secretly strive to complete the show off challenge hehe! :wink:
  • Jem97
    Jem97 Posts: 54
    Options
    Ill go for the "serious Challenge", can we count kayak/canoe miles too?
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Put me down for the serious commitment group!
  • cath1717
    Options
    I make my itinery in google map before leaving that way I know how many km I will walk and how long it will take my about.
  • cath1717
    Options

Thank you very much!! I don't drive, but I will find an app. :smile:

I make my itinery in google map before leaving that way I know how many km I will walk and how long it will take my about.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Put me down for the "Serious".