Eat at maintenance? What would YOU do??

Options
DarkAngellEyes
DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
Hi all! I'm new to this group, but not really new to the concept of eating more to weigh less... although its been more like eat more to maintain for me...

As many people here, I started out at the measley 1200 cals that MFP assigned to me. As I did my own research and started working out more, I upped my calories to 1400, then to 1600 when I started NROLFW (which was still below what the program suggested for me). About 5 weeks ago I finally actually calculated my TDEE and BMR and set my daily goal at 1800.

In those 5 weeks, my weight has not changed - even though the 1800 is about 20% below my TDEE.

I have recently began to realize I may be "over-training" and just working out too much (lifting 3 times a week and doing a relatively intense boxing class 2 times a week), so I have decided to cut my workouts down a bit and focus mainly on lifting. Keep in mind I just made this decision today so I havent actually made any changes to my schedule just yet.

Before I decided to pare down my workouts I was toying with the idea of eating at maintenance for a while to see if I can jump start my metabolism again. But now my question is - since I plan on reducing the intensity of my weekly exercise schedule, should I just stick to the 1800 calories and see what happens?? Or should I try eating at maintenance for a couple weeks??

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DarkAngellEyes
    Options
    Any suggestions?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Taking a break and eating maint is a great idea and our bodies definitely need the break now and then.

I suppose my question would be- do you feel overtrained and did you include your exercise in your TDEE?

For me- I don't lose when I drop below 15% off my TDEE, 20% gives me a standstill.

Do you enjoy your boxing? If so- I'd keep it and up the cals to closer to 15% and enjoy the extra cal bump. If you are tired, your weight isn't increasing or your lifting form is suffering- then I would cut back and head toward maint cals.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new to this group, but not really new to the concept of eating more to weigh less... although its been more like eat more to maintain for me...

As many people here, I started out at the measley 1200 cals that MFP assigned to me. As I did my own research and started working out more, I upped my calories to 1400, then to 1600 when I started NROLFW (which was still below what the program suggested for me). About 5 weeks ago I finally actually calculated my TDEE and BMR and set my daily goal at 1800.

In those 5 weeks, my weight has not changed - even though the 1800 is about 20% below my TDEE.

I have recently began to realize I may be "over-training" and just working out too much (lifting 3 times a week and doing a relatively intense boxing class 2 times a week), so I have decided to cut my workouts down a bit and focus mainly on lifting. Keep in mind I just made this decision today so I havent actually made any changes to my schedule just yet.

Before I decided to pare down my workouts I was toying with the idea of eating at maintenance for a while to see if I can jump start my metabolism again. But now my question is - since I plan on reducing the intensity of my weekly exercise schedule, should I just stick to the 1800 calories and see what happens?? Or should I try eating at maintenance for a couple weeks??

Hi there, let me tell you, I learned a bit the long hard way. I upped calories slowly prior to knowing a thing about TDEE and all that. I then found out and made the jump. Had I heard about a metabolic reset, I believe I honestly would have gone that route instead of what I did. I am doing fine right now and I know my body is being fueled well and in over 16wks into eating now. I am happy with where I am and plan to go into a bulk cycle in the fall. Anyway, I would highly recommend you eating maintenance for 6wks, you will have a gain, but with your lifting and pared down cardio I believe you will still see some positive physical changes that the scale may not reflect but your tape measure will. Then after that you can then drop 100 calories and then another 100 calories after a couple weeks until you see the scale start to move. If I were at the point you are, that is exactly what I would do my friend.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

It's always a hard call, because most people want the weight off immediately. I personally always recommend jumping straight to maintenance and taking a diet break.. Although it will put weight loss on hold temporarily, it will allow your body to adjust, recognizing the new maintenance level, and then once everything stabilizes, you can reduce cals by 15% and begin losing. It is still the same concept, only, I feel that it's less painful. When you move to maintenance you know that some gain will occur, and no loss will occur while you are stabilizing. To me, that helps w/the mental aspect of upping and waiting around for loss to occur. Your body is gonna go through the same process either way, but people seem to be able to handle it better when they "know" that they're on a break, if that makes sense.

Here are some of the threads I where I elaborate on this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/533559-maintenance-before-losing-advice-please

AND

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/541567-once-you-have-your-tdee-and-bmr-next-step

And here are blog posts that discuss it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/faq-finding-true-maintenance-200567
    AND
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/why-eating-less-and-exercising-more-can-backfire-203395
    AND
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/faq-how-exactly-do-i-go-about-eating-more-200576

Kiki
  • DarkAngellEyes
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions ~ I really appreciate the input! :flowerforyou:

I really do enjoy my boxing classes, I just feel like I havent truely been allowing my body the rest periods it needs between lifting days. It helps a little that my boxing membership is just about expired so I may just keep it up until it runs out in a couple weeks and then just wait to renew...

I think I am going to take the advice and start eating at maintenance for a few weeks to see what that does. I know I may see a gain on the scale, so Im going to try my best just to stay off it entirely (keyword - Try. haha).

Do you think I should just jump in head first and start with maintenance calories today? Or should I finish off this "week" and start fresh after my weigh-in day (next Wednesday)?
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    If you're ready, jump. Otherwise, you're just prolonging the inevitable, anyway, lol. Do it while ya got the guts :tongue:

Kiki
  • steph_arena
    Options
    Just wanted to pop in and say that i followed kiki's suggestion of going to maintenance for 2.5 months and loved it..scale didn't really move but man it was fun to eat! alsoit was great to see that eating as much as i did didn't make me GAIN weight! Well worth the effort.
    Also I have been faithfully logging EVERYTHING and the real quantities (not eyeballing) that also helps. When you have been at the weightloss-maintenance for awhile tend to relax the logging and a couple of weeks really being honest helps;)

Good luck and make sure you read kiki's links...
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 42, 5'6" and weigh 183. 2.5 weeks ago I upped my cals from 1350 to 1800 (TDEE-15%, light activity). With all these posts here, am now wondering if I should up it to my maintenance of 2130 for the next month or so? Or should I stay where I'm at?

Scared to be eating so much more (been conditioned that way) and not sure how to eat that much but want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Thanks for your help!

Nadia
  • 31prvrbs
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 42, 5'6" and weigh 183. 2.5 weeks ago I upped my cals from 1350 to 1800 (TDEE-15%, light activity). With all these posts here, am now wondering if I should up it to my maintenance of 2130 for the next month or so? Or should I stay where I'm at?

Scared to be eating so much more (been conditioned that way) and not sure how to eat that much but want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Thanks for your help!

Nadia

Hey Nadia,

The metabolism reset is def a "recommended" first option for those who can handle it. The mental stress of "how long before the scale starts moving" is reduced, because the scale isn't *supposed* to move (down) during a reset. You can relax, eat good food and know that you are basically laying the groundwork for what's to come. Many people that merely up the cals to TDEE -15%, will often stress about their decision, thus releasing cortisol, which can cause the body to react even more negatively and holding on to fat even more religiously, before it begins to release the fat. Also many who have been under-eating for extended periods of time need the re-feed more than they realize. So their body ends up looking at the original phases of upping cals to cut numbers as a re-feed anyway. That's that 4 wk period where you see people posting "OMG, I'm gaining" or "it's been 3-4 wks with no loss"

That usually means that their body is gonna take that re-feed period whether they give it or not, only the extra stress that they're going through while wondering what's going on, is adding to the delay. So that's why we either tell people to up to deficit #s, but be willing to wait 4-6 weeks before results come, OR just skip straight to maintenance, for 4-6 weeks, then go to cut #s.

Either way can work, but just know that if your body "needs" that re-feed. It's gonna take it regardless. So know your own mental state, & which way would work best for you. It's purely a personal choice.

Kiki
  • DarkAngellEyes
    Options
    Just a little update - I took your advice and started eating maintanence last Friday, but it's not quite my TDEE... Since I'm following the NROLFW lifting program, I decided to also follow their calorie recommendations. This means I will be eating 1950 on non-workout days and 2200 on workout days (according to other calculations, my TDEE is right around 2300).

So today is just day 3 of maintenance but I'm already enjoying being able to eat a little more than I was before... AND I have a bit more confidence that I will be able to stay within my goals on the weekends (which is always when I seem to slack a bit).

Hopefully this will be what my body needs.
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your help!

Nadia

Hey Nadia,

The metabolism reset is def a "recommended" first option for those who can handle it. The mental stress of "how long before the scale starts moving" is reduced, because the scale isn't *supposed* to move (down) during a reset. You can relax, eat good food and know that you are basically laying the groundwork for what's to come. Many people that merely up the cals to TDEE -15%, will often stress about their decision, thus releasing cortisol, which can cause the body to react even more negatively and holding on to fat even more religiously, before it begins to release the fat. Also many who have been under-eating for extended periods of time need the re-feed more than they realize. So their body ends up looking at the original phases of upping cals to cut numbers as a re-feed anyway. That's that 4 wk period where you see people posting "OMG, I'm gaining" or "it's been 3-4 wks with no loss"

That usually means that their body is gonna take that re-feed period whether they give it or not, only the extra stress that they're going through while wondering what's going on, is adding to the delay. So that's why we either tell people to up to deficit #s, but be willing to wait 4-6 weeks before results come, OR just skip straight to maintenance, for 4-6 weeks, then go to cut #s.

Either way can work, but just know that if your body "needs" that re-feed. It's gonna take it regardless. So know your own mental state, & which way would work best for you. It's purely a personal choice.

Kiki

Thanks Kiki!

I can see how eating at maintenance for 2 mths and then decreasing to the cut amount will trigger the loss. But I'm not clear on how it works if I stay at TDEE-15%, and let it ride for say 6-8 weeks. What do I change my cals to afterwards to start losing? Or will I start losing (after the probable gain) by just remaining at my cut cals?

I'm rather enjoying this new way of living, even though I'm skeptical on how my body will react, but I also understand your explanation of how stress affects me...so I won't stress....

Thanks!