New Artificial Sweetener Neotame Just A Spin Off Of Aspartam

Options
gadzukks
gadzukks Posts: 28 Member
I wanted to give you a heads up on a new artificial sweetener called “Neotame” that is making its way into processed food products. Food manufacturers have been pushing for alternatives since the public has gotten wise to the health risks of Aspartame.

Well they’ve gotten their wish as NutraSweet, the original manufacturer of Aspartame, has come out with Neotame which is reported to be 13,000 times sweeter than table sugar and about 30 times sweeter than aspartame.

What’s really surprising is this new product is essentially based on the Aspartame formula. Neotame is basically Aspartame plus something called 3,3-dimethylbyl which they claim reduces the production of phenylaline, hence making it safe for those suffering from phenylketonuria (PKU).

What’s significant about this? With this small change they no longer have to post a warning label on products the way they did with aspartame.

This is significant from a marketing position. They figure you’ll skim over the ingredients list and not recognize “Neotame.” But not if you’ve read this post.

Is Neotame really safer for consumption than Aspartame?

From what I’ve gathered in the research there’s really no reason to believe this product is any safer for consumption except for individuals suffering from PKU. In a search of PubMed.gov, the US National Library of Medicine which contains millions of medical citations, there’s not ONE mention of any double-blind scientific studies on Neotame and its toxicity with humans.

Why not? Good question. I have no idea but it makes you wonder how the FDA goes about approving some products and not others. That’s a whole other issue in itself that I’ll refrain from going on a rant about.

My advice is to stay away from this stuff. Despite the claims and PR tactics by manufacturers that artificial sweeteners help in the battle against obesity, the research seems to suggest otherwise. Don’t be fooled into believing this stuff won’t have an impact on insulin sensitivity.

We could start splitting hairs on how much is really enough to cause a problem, but there’s enough natural alternatives for sweeteners that it’s really a moot argument.

You probably already know my position on processed and refined foods so if you generally avoid these products it won’t matter. If you’re looking for a little something to add to your oatmeal, coffee, or whatever, I’d say look to use a natural product like raw organic honey or something like Stevia.

From where I stand all the slick marketing hype and claims by artificial sweetener manufacturers is nothing but smoke and mirrors. The mere fact that this stuff is whipped up in some lab is enough to make me cautious. We live in a time where there’s more and more of our food products being genetically modified or altered in some way. I’m not so sure this is a good thing.

Call me old fashioned or whatever you want but I’ll put my trust in the foods God has provided for us in their natural state over something man in all his wisdom has concocted up with science.

I know it’s tough to eat organic all the time and for most of us that’s just not realistic. However, I think the human body can handle small amounts of toxins and deal with it if a person’s health is generally good. If you’re eating mostly whole, natural foods, even if it’s not all organic, you’re far better off than consuming processed and refined foods with artificial ingredients.

Once again moderation is the key word.

Just wanted to give you the inside scoop on what’s new so you’re informed when reading food labels. Always looking out for you. Until next time, eat Primal, exercise with a purpose, and live with passion!

Shane Doll is a certified personal trainer, fat loss expert, speaker, and founder of Shaping Concepts Fitness Training Studios. If you’re looking for a personal trainer in Charleston, you can receive a no-obligations personal training trial and consultation without risking a dime. Over 1000 Charleston area residents have transformed their bodies following our unique burst training workouts and simplified nutrition programs. Experience the Shaping Concepts difference today.