Tough to lose weight even though Thyroid is regulated?

Options

Replies

• toni14301
    toni14301 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would agree that everyone is different. I, myself, find it VERY difficult to lose weight. I am happy just to maintain and be healthy - as long as it doesn't go back up.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Dropping wheat helped for me after I read that people with thyroid problems have difficulty processing wheat.

I dropped it completely at first and went very low carb (only in fruits and veg) and lost 18lbs in the first month. Then started re-introducing non wheat based carbs ie rice, potatoes and gluten free bread.

The last few months I've only lost about 2 lb a month, usually when water comes off at TOTM, but I've only got a few pounds left to go and my goal date was June.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I think one key is keeping the carbs low - say under 90-100 grams - and making ALL the carbs come from fruit and veggies. If you can stay away from white food, you should lose.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm new here too. I am learning lots the last few days. I just found out on Friday that I have a low thyroid. Went in for more precise blood tests today. I am really not happy to hear that your meds have not helped with your metabolisms! Mine slowed right down, and I put on almost 40 lbs in the last few years, though I had lost that same weight & kept it off for a decade (before menopause). I chalked it up to menopause & some very difficult years... along with lack of exercise.
    Anyway, in September I bought the MyTrak & have been exercising like crazy, which has enabled me (along with a very strict diet), to lose 30 + lbs (at the rate of 1 lb @ week)...
    However, the last few months I have been having serious vertigo problems, along with all the other symptoms you've mentioned. Then all of the sudden, my heart rate has gone crazy. The heart-belt clued me in... so I went to the dr (feeling like a hypochondriac), asking the dr to check my thyroid. Sure enough, its low.... so we'll see. But he did tell me that the meds would help my metabolism. I sure hope it does!!! Don't understand why most of you are still having difficulties.
    I'd love to be friends, and learn all I can from you.
    Blessings,
    Debby
    PS... going to check out www.stopthethyroidmadness.com right now. Thank you!
  • emboch
    emboch Posts: 60
    Options
    I am having a tough time as well even though my thyroid is "regulated" now. Any tips on how to jump start this weight loss since the hypothyroidism has pushed me back a little? I am determined to get this weight off!
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm new here too. I am learning lots the last few days. I just found out on Friday that I have a low thyroid. Went in for more precise blood tests today. I am really not happy to hear that your meds have not helped with your metabolisms! Mine slowed right down, and I put on almost 40 lbs in the last few years, though I had lost that same weight & kept it off for a decade (before menopause). I chalked it up to menopause & some very difficult years... along with lack of exercise.
    Anyway, in September I bought the MyTrak & have been exercising like crazy, which has enabled me (along with a very strict diet), to lose 30 + lbs (at the rate of 1 lb @ week)...
    However, the last few months I have been having serious vertigo problems, along with all the other symptoms you've mentioned. Then all of the sudden, my heart rate has gone crazy. The heart-belt clued me in... so I went to the dr (feeling like a hypochondriac), asking the dr to check my thyroid. Sure enough, its low.... so we'll see. But he did tell me that the meds would help my metabolism. I sure hope it does!!! Don't understand why most of you are still having difficulties.
    I'd love to be friends, and learn all I can from you.
    Blessings,
    Debby
    PS... going to check out www.stopthethyroidmadness.com right now. Thank you!

I have vertigo also -- really bad at least once a week - several times it sent me to the hospital because I couldn't stop vomiting and my blood pressure was through the roof. My Naturopath has me on GABA for vertigo -- I think it's 500mg - twice a day. You can purchase GABA in any health food store, Whole Foods, or online. I take 2 with lunch and 2 with dinner.

Metabolism is a tough thing -- it's not just thyroid. It's also adrenals - cortisol, etc. It's also Vitamin D levels, ferritin/iron levels. It's how much you sleep and the quality of your sleep. It's also what you eat -- not always how much you eat, but what you eat. I have a hard time with it because I love intense exercise - but my body tends to stall on weight loss when I exercise every day. So, I am playing around with how many calories I replace when I exercise... can I believe the number of calories burned that's on my heart rate monitor?

As for diet -- I cannot lose any weight at all if I am eating starchy or sugary foods. It doesn't matter if I only eat 500 calories a day - if it's a high carb/low nutrtition type food (like bread, pasta, cereal) I am not going to lose weight. That's why I am gluten free and dairy free. Still, my weight loss is in spurts. I'm almost to my goal weight, so focusing on not gaining!!

So losing weight is different for each of us -- but I have to be honest with my food diary - and hold myself accountable if I am eating high calorie/low nutritional foods. Our food needs to come from nature - not a box :tongue: !

Terri
  • anamartinsdemorais
    Options
    Hey! I'm so glad I found this group, reading the posts have been really helpful!

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a year ago and I've gained over 8kg. I want to go back to my previous normal weight but finding it really hard, I'm not really sure what I should be doing or what I should be eating. Normal dieting doesn't seem to work for me anymore, anyone have any suggestions or tips? I'm guessing a low carb diet would a good option for this situation?

Thanks for the help :)
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Hey! I'm so glad I found this group, reading the posts have been really helpful!

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a year ago and I've gained over 8kg. I want to go back to my previous normal weight but finding it really hard, I'm not really sure what I should be doing or what I should be eating. Normal dieting doesn't seem to work for me anymore, anyone have any suggestions or tips? I'm guessing a low carb diet would a good option for this situation?

Thanks for the help :)

We have several members that are doing Paleo or Primal diets -- these are low carb options that are healthier than Adkins. One of them allows dairy and one doesn't - but I can never remember which is which. So, they allow healthy fruit, unlimited veggies, and meat/fish -- not necessarily the "lean" options -- they believe that the fat from animals isn't really all that bad. As other fat options, you could use olive oil or coconut oil (my favorite), nuts, seeds and avocado.

Primal and Paleo are frequently called "caveman" diets - because they take our body back to a place in ancient times when no one was fat - there were no processed foods, heavy sugar usage, bread, etc. It takes your body some time to get used to the healthy food and to begin to give up the fat.

The only reason I don't fully embrace it is because I am addicted to exercise -- I'm not sure these diets would do well for me. But I do think they are a great way to eat and you can see yourself eating this way forever -- so, its not really a diet! I do try to keep my carbs to under 100 gms per day -- and nearly all from fruits and veggies.

But I don't think any diet will work if your thyroid is not leveled out (and not only TSH!), and your adrenals and other critical metabolic levels are optimal. This takes a lot of focus and a doctor that will work on it. Lot's of info on stopthethyroidmadness.com

Terri
  • ReneeMV63
    ReneeMV63 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is with me, but I am also going through menopause. That adds to my problem
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Thanks Terri,
    I take Borax drops, from the health food store (which takes away the vertigo in 12-20 hrs). But it keeps coming back every month, so I'm wondering what is causing it.
    So, from your comments, I may end up gaining weight when I go on meds? Yikes!
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Thanks Terri,
    I take Borax drops, from the health food store (which takes away the vertigo in 12-20 hrs). But it keeps coming back every month, so I'm wondering what is causing it.
    So, from your comments, I may end up gaining weight when I go on meds? Yikes!
    No, I didn't intend to say that you will gain weight when you go on meds. I just like people to understand that the thyroid meds are only part of it. It's why I keep telling people to educate yourself about what metabolism is and to understand that it's more than just medication - it's also nutrition and exercise.

This site (http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/) is where I find out much of what I know about hypo/hashi - and from my Naturopath who has helped me so much. I also purchased the book from Stop The Thyroid Madness. There are parts of it that are a little extreme, so I discuss with the doctor and we agree on how we will get rid of my symptoms.

Each person is different -- so you may have a wonderful respond to the meds and that would be fabulous!!
  • debbylee22
    Options
    Thanks again!
    I sure hope so. I have lost 30 lbs. since September, with 10 lbs to go, I sure want it to keep going down... Although, I must admit my energy level seems to be too low to do the exercise that I have been doing. I have been exhausted through-out this weight-loss journey, but I am focused.
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Would you recommend going to an endocrinologist as opposed to a regular family doctor for treatment?

Go to whomever will listen to you. My family dr is better. She sent me to two different endocrinologists. One i walked out on because he would not listen to me. Kept saying there was nothing wrong as my number were all within range. Never mind i felt like crap.

The second did not listen to what i was saying either. She told me to stop putting cream in my coffee and all would be well.

After 16 years of hypro thyroid, finally had thyroid removed for other reasons. The surgeon want to put me on a lower dose than I was on before it was removed. I refused and he rewrote the prescription for the previous dose.

Then the pathology cam back on my thyroid and found cancer (small and not a problem) but i was sent to a radiation oncologist for a second opinion. He upped my synthroid and i feel much better.

Keep trying doctors, keep insisting on getting treated for symptoms not numbers. Be your own advocate. Learn all you can.

Good luck.
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've been on Thyroxine for an underactive thyroid (reason "unknown") for nearly 4 years now. I have still not lost the weight I gained before they put me on medication (about 4kg) despite being in the "normal" range...

I have also now been diagnosed with issues related to other hormones, including prolactin, where they are looking for a pituitary tumor. MRI done. But now on holidays so get my results 24 April.

I'm not a large person, but these extra kilos are very depressing all the same. But then again, my messed up hormones are making me all depressed, so I'll just be happy for a proper diagnosis and hopefully then can boost my weightloss.
  • marriedwith
    marriedwith Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been on Thyroxine for an underactive thyroid (reason "unknown") for nearly 4 years now. I have still not lost the weight I gained before they put me on medication (about 4kg) despite being in the "normal" range...

I have also now been diagnosed with issues related to other hormones, including prolactin, where they are looking for a pituitary tumor. MRI done. But now on holidays so get my results 24 April.

I'm not a large person, but these extra kilos are very depressing all the same. But then again, my messed up hormones are making me all depressed, so I'll just be happy for a proper diagnosis and hopefully then can boost my weightloss.

Best of luck to you - I would think that if the MRI showed something that needed to be taken care of that they would have been pulled into a hospital. So think positive!
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Well, I'm thinking that haylz_me might be from Europe or Canada where medical assistance is sometimes delayed. Hormones are crazy things -- and can really make your body do crazy things. Thyroxine is just another synthetic T4 that frequently does absolutely nothing to relieve the depression, weight gain and other systems of hypo/hashi.

haylz_me -- I will be praying for you. I would recommend that you try to reduce your carbs if you haven't already - stick to vegetables and fruit and try to eliminate "white" carbs like sugar, bread, rice, pasta. Fat is actually ok -- as long as it's good fat like avocado, coconut oil, coconut milk, almonds, salmon (wild!) etc.

Hope you can get some help for your symptoms!! I've fired several doctors and finally ended up with a Naturopath (not covered by insurance) who has helped me tremendously - and I lost 15 pounds!
  • Emnee
    Emnee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dropping wheat helped for me after I read that people with thyroid problems have difficulty processing wheat.

I dropped it completely at first and went very low carb (only in fruits and veg) and lost 18lbs in the first month. Then started re-introducing non wheat based carbs ie rice, potatoes and gluten free bread.

The last few months I've only lost about 2 lb a month, usually when water comes off at TOTM, but I've only got a few pounds left to go and my goal date was June.

Hi everyone! I am new to the group. Very glad such a group exists! I have been struggling with my weight for a while now and I was always wondering if my weight gain was due to my eating habits or my hypothyroid problem or both. :frown: I was diagnosed about 3 years ago and my doc has put me on the Synthroid tablet ever since. I just recently started eating clean & exercising again (for a little over a week now) and have been eating quite a bit of whole wheat breads and such to fulfill my carb needs. Is wheat really bad for me? Should I completely discard bread from my diet & rely solely on fruits & veggies for carbs like some of you here? I really want results. ): Being put on the Synthroid pill hasn't really affected me much... I don't feel any different and I don't feel any better than how I was before.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm new too. :) I was diagnosed about 2 years ago, after gaining somewhere in the vicinity of 40-50 lbs in less than a year (and had never had any true weight issues previously). I've only had my Synthroid dosage adjusted once. It seems to work pretty well for me, thankfully, as far as most symptoms go anyway. I found, after the endocrinologist also put me on metformin, thought I'm not diabetic, that the only way I can lose is working out. Quite a bit. I lost about 40 lbs between summer 2010 and spring 2011 and I believe it was 27 inches as well. BUT, in order to do that, I had to work out at least 4-5 times per week. Depending on what was going on, for a period of time, I mostly just did 3 segments of 10 minute trainer per day 4-5 times per week, or I had a women's fitness class at my church 2 nights a week, and I went to Zumba most of the time for an hour class 2-3 times per week. But when I saw the most dramatic improvement was when I was doing 30 minutes of 10 Minute Trainer per day 4-5 times per week. It wasn't easy and I didn't like doing it, but I did like the results. I also calorie counted for a while to get a better grasp for what I was putting in my body. (I didn't do it nearly as long as I've been doing it this time.) I got busy with traveling and school and a multitude of things last summer & got out of my routine.

I got myself started back on the right track in January and I haven't lost a lot of lbs yet, but, thankfully, I don't have as much to lose this time. I had gained about 15 lbs back, I'm on a mission to lose 25 this time, probably. :) I've been varying my workouts, but I walk HARD generally at least once a day, I do the new Zumba DVDs, throw some 10 Minute Trainer in periodically, and just started 330 Day Shred last week (I'm doing that M-F currently). So, for me, keeping the calories as close to where they should be and working out are the key. I don't lose just counting calories. I HAVE to work out. Even though my scale results aren't phenomenal (YET), I've lost 2 inches from my hips, 1.5 inches from my waist, and inch from each thigh, an inch from each forearm and half an inch from each bicep (actually that had gone down an inch & has now gone back up half an inch, I imagine due to my strength training :wink: ). If you're working out and watching your diet, be sure to take measurements, because the scale doesn't always tell the whole story. Best wishes to everyone.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Just my personal opinion - but anyone trying to lose weight, regardless if they are hypothyroid or not, should eliminate sugar and grains from diet. Try it for 30 days and see if it helps. Even people with normal thyroid can have insulin resistance which causes your body to store sugar and grains as fat.

@mariposa224 - my endo had me on Metformin also -- and I initially lost weight on it, but then it stopped. I suspect the Metformin is for insulin resistance. Also, I've noticed that many people that are hypo, lose weight easier on a low calorie diet without exercise... as soon as I start exercising heavily, my weight loss stops. I know there are others on this forum that have the same. I LOVE to exercise -- but best I can do is maintain.

Terri
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    @mariposa224 - my endo had me on Metformin also -- and I initially lost weight on it, but then it stopped. I suspect the Metformin is for insulin resistance. Also, I've noticed that many people that are hypo, lose weight easier on a low calorie diet without exercise... as soon as I start exercising heavily, my weight loss stops. I know there are others on this forum that have the same. I LOVE to exercise -- but best I can do is maintain.

Terri
    So, for me, keeping the calories as close to where they should be and working out are the key. I don't lose just counting calories. I HAVE to work out.
    That's why I said "for me." I know that different things work for different people, whether or not they have thyroid disease. For me, monitoring and maintaining caloric intake alone doesn't do it. Working out (in conjunction with monitoring my diet) does.

My a1c was at the top of the range that it could be at and still be considered "normal," so the endocrinologist termed me as 'pre-diabetic' and put me on the metformin to help kick start my weight loss. I do my best to keep things in my diet within reason and there are many days when I don't get my full amount of carbs in, other days I go over just a little. I don't eat tons of sugary treats, but I do allow myself small indulgences, as I'm working to keep this as a lifestyle change. I don't see me giving up sugar for the rest of my life, so I really don't have a desire to cut it completely from my diet. I need these changes to be sustainable changes, not something that I'm just waiting to break free from.