help!!! new to this and need help

Options
Sinope82
Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
Hi i'm Sarah,

I've joined today because i'm really struggling and i want so badly to do this the right way. In the past I have been through pretty much every mad way to lose weight. I always start out with good intentions but when i stop losing weight i lose control and end up eating virtually nothing. I've made myself very ill in the past and i'm so worried that it's going to happen again because i can hear the little voices telling me i'd lose weight if i just...... Again )o:

My partner is brilliant and really wants to help me be happy about myself and is determined to help stop me being i'll again and i have a great set of friends who keep an eye on me but i need help from people who've been where i am and proved you can lose weight sensibly and those who are going through the same thing.

With my partners help i've managed to increase from the average 600kcals per day i was eating to now trying to eat 1390 per day. I list myself as sedentary and then add exercise as i do it because what i do varys alot as i go hiking long distances and with a lot of climbing whenever i get chance and can burn alot of calories in one go but other times i just get a short walk in an evening.

Basically i don't know where to start with how much to eat to lose my last 21 lb sensibly and i desperately don't want to lose control and starve myself again. I'm 5' 6" and currently 168lb. I know my BMR is about 1500 ish and this is the target i've been trying to get to. However now my weight loss has stalled i don't know what to do. I know BMR is only an estimation so does that mean i'm now eating too much?

Any advice on what i should be aiming for with regards to calories & rate of loss would be greatly appreciated. Also with regards to exercise i keep worrying about doing too much in one go as i really struggle to eat the calories back ( iv'e ended up with more left than i started with before now ) any advice would be great as i really can't predict how much i'll burn per week through exercise.

Thankyou for your help x

Replies

• 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1500, then that's the absolute minimum cals you'd need just to lay in bed all day. If you're getting out of bed everyday, you need much more than that. Have you read the TDEE sticky and done your calculations for TDEE?

That will help you to understand what goal you need to work toward. Your weight comes to a standstill, because our metabolism slows in order to meet the need. When we're not eating enough, there's no need for the metabolism to work so hard, it wants to conserve energy for the most crucial body functions. Reading through all of the stickies will really help you to get a good idea of how much you should be eating, and what to expect during the process.

If you have been under-eating for an extremely long period of time, it may be more beneficial to do a full metabolism reset: eating at maintenance until your body completely stabilizes before trying to resume weight loss.

If after reading through the stickies, you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask..:smile:

Kiki