Is Texting an Overused Medium?

Options
DMZ_1
DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
I certainly feel that way.

I really am not a fan of text messaging. I think it is an inefficient means of communication. There are times where texting makes sense (like you need to locate someone in a noisy environment like a bar, club, stadium). Going back and forth in 160 bits of character does not make a whole lot of sense to me. I tend to express myself in longer bits of information. I like a focus on meaningful and quality, not quantity. Also, screens on cell phones are smaller than laptops or desktops and it is not good for eyesight to text a lot.

The written word has less meaning than the spoken word or the spoken word with body language. That is Communication 101 right there. In the early days, there needs to be more context.

I hope I'm not coming off as a grumpy old man, fuddy duddy. :laugh:

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you, and, frankly, it is a relief to me to see a man expressing this opinion of texting. I find that most men, and I use that word loosely in this context, prefer texting because it's "easier" than picking up the phone and actually calling a woman.

I think texting is fine when you have something brief to communicate or have something to say that doesn't require a response. But I hate when men try to have a conversation with me via text message, and I generally just don't respond. Asking me out on a date with a text message is an absolute dealbreaker. But I am pretty old-fashioned in that regard. I still write actual letters to family and friends I don't get to see regularly. For some reason, I have this idea that people you truly care about are worth the effort.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Yes it is,without a doubt as was email to a phone call which was to only person to person.
    It is 2012 and part of our culture good or bad.

I think all means of communication can be used but nothing in the long run can substitute for actually talking to someone in person.
    Only then can you see the uncontrollable little smile,the genuine blush,the sound of true love in a voice.
    Sooner or later it has to get to that or it won`t work.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree- I just hate the phone in general. No texting, no phone calls. I'd rather talk in person!

I do text when it's right but overall I would rather see the person.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am a texter. I absolulty hate talking on the phone. I have always hated it. I am in my mid 30s but since I was 20 I have always communitcated more by email, IM or texting then I have by using the actual phone to talk. Even when doing business I would rather meet up with someone in person then talking on the phone.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    I am a huge texter .. emailer..facebooker..lol. i find it so much easier to say what i mean or feel when i text it. But sometimes it makes it harder to then finally talk in person or on the phone because i have such a huge comfort level texting. I dont like when people dont text...lol
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    nope i rather text you than talk to you unless we are in a relationship or I'm just in the mood to hear your voice other than that I'll text you and if you don't like it then you got my number so use it ... that's how I feel and besides i rather text my guy friends since it just saves time and less confusion most times.

facetime seems to becoming an overused medium for me with some people hell i just rather text you and next thing I know i gotta not only do I have to listen to you but now I have to focus and look at my phone or computer while i talk instead of the tv :laugh:
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Nammer! Bad bad! lol
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    I absolutely hate talking on the phone. If you love me, don't call me. I would much rather text any day. It's faster, more simple, and hell, if I don't want to respond right away, I don't have to.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    I absolutely hate talking on the phone. If you love me, don't call me. I would much rather text any day. It's faster, more simple, and hell, if I don't want to respond right away, I don't have to.

I can talk faster than I can type on a phone. I can type on a more traditional keyboard much faster.
  • Katefab26
    Options
    I can talk faster than I can type on a phone. I can type on a more traditional keyboard much faster.

I've had far too much experience texting, I suppose. I used to work in a call center where I absolutely couldn't get away from the phone, so I like to be able to control the pace of the conversation. Sometimes I put my phone down and walk away, knowing that in about two minutes I'll have completely forgotten where I put it and won't find it for a day. :laugh:
  • timnca03
    timnca03 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Nope....texting is the easiest way to communicate while doing multiple things. Its quick, easy, gets your message across with out a lot of small talk! Thank goodness for unlimited texting plans!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

That explains a lot....
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    Texting can be overused. I do text a lot but I rather talk sometimes.

FL and I talk on the phone for hours. I love it. There's nothing like those late night phone calls that last hours. Not all the time, but every now and then it's nice.

When I have a new date, I always ask them to call me before to say hi in "person". It just makes me feel less nervous.
  • Katefab26
    Options

That explains a lot....

:flowerforyou:
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that refuses to talk on the phone. She'll text you for hours. But if you call her after a few texts because it'll be quicker, she'll ignore the call and continue texting to you.

I'll always take in person first though. I hate the phone, but it is far better than texts for anything besides quick messages like "I'll be 30 minutes late" etc.
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I hate texting! My phone's screen doesn't work. I haven't replace it. It's an awesome excuse to avoid texting people! It's hard to communicate sarcasm and express emotion in a text.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Texting is great because it is easy, quick and a silent/private way to communicate, but I totally get your point.
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I hate having conversations over texts. Short messages like setting meetup times or simple questions, sure thats fine. But if a session lasts more than 2 replies, I'd much rather talk.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    I hate having conversations over texts. Short messages like setting meetup times or simple questions, sure thats fine. But if a session lasts more than 2 replies, I'd much rather talk.

Exactly my perspective on it!
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    I hope I'm not coming off as a grumpy old man, fuddy duddy. :laugh:

By the way, this made me chuckle. :laugh: