Is Texting an Overused Medium?

Options
2»

Replies

• mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Well texting wouldn't be my first choice of communication although I do text and don't mind it... But it's definitely not my main preference of communication. Communication should go beyond that especially with certain people IMO
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I'm a texter lol. I'm often carring on 4 different conversations while making dinner and helping my children with homework. Texting is easier I dont have to worry about the noise level in my house either. I talk on the phone as well but not nearly as much as I text. My sister compared it to living with a 16 yr old lol:blushing:
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Funny I was just thinking about this this morning. It seems like guys are totally into texting rather than picking up the phone, and I hate that texting has become the main tool of communication...especially if someone is asking me out. Pick up the phone and call--don't text and ask me out.

Now I think little notes back and forth are fine for texting...like: "thinking of you", or "have a great day". But, I don't want to hold a conversation via text.
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Sometimes talking is better, but texting is so convenient. Flirting by text is such fun - seriously if you've never tried it you should give it a go before writing off texting as chore
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Funny I was just thinking about this this morning. It seems like guys are totally into texting rather than picking up the phone, and I hate that texting has become the main tool of communication...especially if someone is asking me out. Pick up the phone and call--don't text and ask me out.

Now I think little notes back and forth are fine for texting...like: "thinking of you", or "have a great day". But, I don't want to hold a conversation via text.

I don't think it is just guys who are totally into texting. I've seen enough women are into the texting runaround. I would say that there's a direct relationship with age. A 25 year old is more likely to be a texting maniac than a 40 year old, but there are plenty of 40 year olds who are big time texters. Life stage also plays a role in texting as well. I think a 40 year old who has been married for 15 years and has a set social life is not going to be as big of a texter as a 40 year old who is single and maybe also in the process of developing new friendships as well as dating.

Holding a conversation via text message is a major annoyance to me. If I have to hold a text based conversation, I would rather do that in email or on a website like Facebook, etc.

So many means of communication, so many choices, and yet the way we communicate with one another is probably weaker than it was 20 years ago.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Starting to think that I should put in my POF profile that I am a texter and hate to talk on the phone.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this some more today and I was thinking that when you text/write you have time to think of what to say, you can ignore something that is said if you want. It's not really realistic. You have to know how to think on your feet, and texting doesn't allow that. Just a thought! I'm awkward so I like texting sometimes because I can think about what I'm going to say, but it doesn't work in real life!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I love texting. I love emailing. I love talking on the phone. And I love f2f contact. ANY form of communication is good to me.

One of my girlfriends and I have entire conversations for hours by text :laugh: I dont even know why, cos we talk for England when we meet too! It's just one of those things. Ive only ever met one man that loved texting/sexting as much as me though, mostly men I've met prefer phone or f2f.

The downside is that text (or the written word) CAN be misconstrued and can get you in trouble. So I do draw the line when discussing a controversial topic or having a disagreement. At those times, I'd rather talk on phone or meet f2f. And I dont like the dump by text or hiding behind a text rubbish. That is just cowardice.

But in general, I think it's improved comms between couples (so nice to get a text saying 'I want you' or something to indicate someone is thinking about you), it keeps friends in touch and its a fab invention!! But you can't beat f2f if you have the time :bigsmile:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I like texting/email as a relationship sustainer, but when I'm getting to know someone I want to talk on the phone and/or meet in person as soon as possible to see if there's even enough chemistry to make it worth continuing getting to know him.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    The downside is that text (or the written word) CAN be misconstrued and can get you in trouble. So I do draw the line when discussing a controversial topic or having a disagreement. At those times, I'd rather talk on phone or meet f2f.
    I learnt this the hard way! :sad: But yeah, I can only agree.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I don't think it is just guys who are totally into texting. I've seen enough women are into the texting runaround. I would say that there's a direct relationship with age. A 25 year old is more likely to be a texting maniac than a 40 year old, but there are plenty of 40 year olds who are big time texters. Life stage also plays a role in texting as well. I think a 40 year old who has been married for 15 years and has a set social life is not going to be as big of a texter as a 40 year old who is single and maybe also in the process of developing new friendships as well as dating.

Holding a conversation via text message is a major annoyance to me. If I have to hold a text based conversation, I would rather do that in email or on a website like Facebook, etc.

So many means of communication, so many choices, and yet the way we communicate with one another is probably weaker than it was 20 years ago.

DM...I didn't mean to sound as though I was generalizing about men--just speaking from what I have personally experienced. And I agree completely with your thoughts on age and stage of life. My daughter is 22 and I had to make a rule...no texting during meal times or when her and I are out and about together. Her texting is out of control!

Fortunately for me, my cell phone is a work phone and I'm not suppose to do much texting with it. Makes a great (and true) excuse to not text. And Facebook is my friend too!