Just had to share this as I was shocked!

Options
sazroy
sazroy Posts: 262 Member
I was just looking up on google How many calories to burn to lose a kilo (estimate!!).. that led me to Yahoo Answers.. got my answer.. but from that answer there was another question that's already been answered.. It shocked me, and actually disgusted me.

Here is the link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Apupk6pSxWAuIQbbLjssxjbsxQt.;_ylv=3?qid=20120330192647AAaUyUJ

And the actual content:

What to do after a binge?
1 homemade cupcake ( 200? ) 1 fiber one brownie ( 90 ) 1/2 cup almond milk ( 60 ) Pumpkin muffin ( 110 ) Carrots ( 18 ) Lettuce ( 10 ) Broccoli ( 5 ) Celery ( 5 ) Strawberries ( 18 ) Fiber one cereal ( 60 ) Oatmeal ( 100 ) Pb2 ( 45 ) Larabar ( 200 ) Yogurt ( 50 ) 6 TBSP egg whites ( 50 ) Protein jello ( 25 )
5 more strawberries ( 18 ) Worst day ever. 1,200 That cupcake was nasty, the brownie was unnecessary, the muffin was also disgusting. I’m ******* sick.

The numbers are the calories next to it.

That all add's up to 1,200
I NEVER eat cupcakes or anything and I'm FREAKING OUT. Like seriously. I have/had anorexia so I'm soooo scared I'm going to gain because I usually eat so little!

3 hours ago
Report Abuse

Lolita Lolita
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Purge but it's too late now probably. Just exercise your *** off or fast tomorrow. Isn't it disgusting to know that you've eaten over 1000 calories. I try to keep it under 500 but I had a bad day today too. Guess I'm fasting tomorrow.
Source(s):
Me unfortunately

3 hours ago
Report Abuse

Asker's Rating:
3 out of 5
Asker's Comment:
It was to late.
I'm fasting

Seriously? This girl was fretting that she ate 1200 calories.. the other girl tries to only eat 500! How are these people not dead? My God.

Replies

• oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Anorexia and really any Eating Disorders are so traumatic :(

Some of the stories i have read of the things these girls and yes even boys have been through have literally had me in tears :(
    Most of these people even know how much damage they are doing to their body, but they just can't seem to help it. I have read of people writing their story and begging those who do not have an eating disorder to not dabble, because it overtakes your mind :(
    I guess it is like any addiction really it takes over your whole world :(

As for how are they still alive?? sadly a lot aren't, and sadly too many go way too young in their teens/ early 20s.

On the other hand i guess it goes to show just how amazing our bodies really are.
    Just how much abuse they withstand and just how well they actually can recover when treated properly.

I guess if anything we should use this as a positive to be grateful that we have found ANewLucia and Kiki, who are pointing us in the right direction and have even provided resources to help us do our own research, and that we have the mental strength to get on the right track with our eating, nourish our bodies with good fuel and recover from the lack of food we have had in the past, whether that be for months or years :)

I know i have said it before and i have no doubt i will say it again, Thank you ANewLucia and Kiki for everything you guys do here. I really look forward to bringing those scales out and the measuring tape out and reporting my losses :) I do know it will happen.

Gawd now i am getting all emotional!! Dinner time here LOL
  • sazroy
    Options
    Just so you know I wasn't meaning to be offensive with the "How are they not dead?" comment!!
  • oonga
    Options
    It never crossed my mind that ANY of your post was offensive :(
    i am sorry you took my post that way :(

Oddly enough I had actually just stumbled on some other anorexia blog pages earlier, looking for one that i saw years ago.
    So it was kind of spooky to see your thread only about an hour after i had been doing the search.

It was a lady from years ago and she had a forum and stuff as well, it was a support forum to help people in the same situation. That one i found when i was doing weight watchers years ago.

In the end she stopped writing on her page as she went into intensive therapy and that was part of her healing process that she had to do. I often still wonder what happened to her, did she recover, is she still alive. So from time to time i do a search to see if there is an update anywhere. She knew if she didn't get help then and there she wouldn't live much longer.

Again sorry you misunderstood my post, but truth be told, i have often been grateful that i haven't developed such an eating disorder, i am also amazed at how much we can abuse our body and survive it.
    I always thought there was no way i could develop an eating disorder, but lately I have actually realised just how easy or possible it would be :(
    I realised i have become obsessed with the scales myself, which is why i asked my partner to hide them, the whole eating less and exercising more did start to become obsessive as well.

If anything i guess i was offering an explanation, to what i read as a genuine question on your behalf. I probably ought to have read it as a rhetorical question not a literal question :)

If i could delete that post i would, but i can't so maybe one of the moderators can delete it, like i said it was not meant to be offensive to anyone.

Errrrr i just looked up at what i wrote and i think i am still being overly emotional and its not even TTOM !!!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    One thing about US is there are people who are extreme over weight or extreme under weight.
  • oonga
    Options
    deleted :)
  • sazroy
    Options
    It never crossed my mind that ANY of your post was offensive :(
    i am sorry you took my post that way :(

Oddly enough I had actually just stumbled on some other anorexia blog pages earlier, looking for one that i saw years ago.
    So it was kind of spooky to see your thread only about an hour after i had been doing the search.

It was a lady from years ago and she had a forum and stuff as well, it was a support forum to help people in the same situation. That one i found when i was doing weight watchers years ago.

In the end she stopped writing on her page as she went into intensive therapy and that was part of her healing process that she had to do. I often still wonder what happened to her, did she recover, is she still alive. So from time to time i do a search to see if there is an update anywhere. She knew if she didn't get help then and there she wouldn't live much longer.

Again sorry you misunderstood my post, but truth be told, i have often been grateful that i haven't developed such an eating disorder, i am also amazed at how much we can abuse our body and survive it.
    I always thought there was no way i could develop an eating disorder, but lately I have actually realised just how easy or possible it would be :(
    I realised i have become obsessed with the scales myself, which is why i asked my partner to hide them, the whole eating less and exercising more did start to become obsessive as well.

If anything i guess i was offering an explanation, to what i read as a genuine question on your behalf. I probably ought to have read it as a rhetorical question not a literal question :)

If i could delete that post i would, but i can't so maybe one of the moderators can delete it, like i said it was not meant to be offensive to anyone.

Errrrr i just looked up at what i wrote and i think i am still being overly emotional and its not even TTOM !!!

No, no! It's okay! I didn't misunderstand it :D I was just making sure that you and anyone else who reads my original post understand I was just sharing, not being ignorant :)
  • oonga
    Options
    Ahhh thank you heaps for that!
    I feel better knowing I hadn't upset you :)
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I saw this posted on here as advice to someone who claimed they could not get under 130 pounds.
    If you can't lose weight for weeks on end, it's BECAUSE YOU ARE EATING TOO MUCH.

When you are in your healthy range, and especially when you only have a few lbs to lose, you have to usually eat below your BMR to lose at any see-able pace. I ran the number for another lady and if she were eating at a 15% cut from her TDEE, she was only going to lose 1 pound every seven weeks. That is just entirely discouraging for anyone. You are off by your cal count even a little bit and you can blow it.

If you are wanting to lose weight, I would drop your daily goal by 250 a day and reassess in a couple weeks (this is about 1/2 lb per week loss). Yeah yeah yeah, depending on what you are eating, you might drop below the "golden" 1,200. If you are small though (you sound like you are) you will be fine. I am 5'5" 135 lbs and ate at 1,150 for 7 weeks and lost about 1.4 lbs a week (I since upped it since I only wanted to lose 1 lb a week, but just to show you, I felt fine at the time and it is totally doable).

Don't beleive this CRAP they are telling you about "maybe that is where you are supposed to be." 130 lbs is EASILY within the healthy range for your height. If you aren't losing weight, it means it's because you are eating at your maintenance. EVERYONE'S body is going to not lose weight when you eat at your maintenance. That's it. You need to eat less to lose.

i have been reading about lower calorie diets and what they can do to your body in the process of getting rid of the weight, which is why i decided to give 'eating more' a shot. it just made much much more sense. people who give this advice are the norm and it makes me sad for people trying to lose weight. :(
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The best way I've found to deal with these situations- is to give credible evidence to the contrary.

Be the change and people will listen. Give them solid info and then walk away. Let people make their own minds up when they are ready.

There are a million things that happen each day that could drive us crazy if we let them.