Would someone mind helping me out...IDK what I should do

Options
paj315
paj315 Posts: 335 Member
I'm stuck and need some help!!!

I started upping my calories from 1400ish the beginning of February to 1940 (per heybales "eating for the future you" group which also coincides with the fattofitradio.com site as well. I also recently read New rule of weight lifting for women and this is just slightly under what they recommend for me. When I started upping in Feb I was at 187 pounds. I got down to 182 within that month and now for all of March I have been gaining and not decreasing in my measurements. I'm now up to 185 (have been for 2 weeks) Now I am not trying to be focused on the numbers I wouldn't care about the numbers if I could see progress elsewhere but nothing. So could someone take a look at my numbers, my food diary, and my workout schedule and give me suggestion. I am going for 40-30-30 for my food but hardly ever reach the protein and always go over on the fat.

My stats are 5'5" and 185 pounds.

My work out schedule is:
Sun- rest
Mon-rest
Tues am- weight lifting with personal trainer pm spin class
Wed- spin class
Thurs- am- weight lifting with personal trainer pm spin class
Friday- rest
Sat- spin class
other than my workouts I am pretty sedentary with some house cleaning and cooking.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am getting super frustrated. I am trying to do this the "right" way but, ugh it's hard.

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and have a question- why are you leaving 400ish calories uneaten a few times a week? This can stall you and cause your body to view your healthy eating days as binges instead of steady fuel it can rely on.

I would up your protein intake (protein shakes REALLY help) and make sure you eat enough every day and stop having the big deficits. You had several days where you were netting below your BMR.

Try to keep your chin up- it's just a numbers game sometimes. :) You can do this!
  • paj315
    Options
    Thanks. Should I not look at my calorie intake on a weekly basis? I had a BIG out to eat meal last week on Friday and consume probably over 3000 calories. Does that not balance out the days that I am under? Or am I looking at it totally wrong?

I have tried protein shakes but I have yet to find one that I can drink with out adding stuff to it to make it taste ok!! Tips on that???
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Should I not look at my calorie intake on a weekly basis? I had a BIG out to eat meal last week on Friday and consume probably over 3000 calories. Does that not balance out the days that I am under? Or am I looking at it totally wrong?

I have tried protein shakes but I have yet to find one that I can drink with out adding stuff to it to make it taste ok!! Tips on that???

Well, that's a matter of opinion. I personally go by a weekly average but if I have too many days (read- more than one) below my goal then I don't lose. I have a free day that I use (it's a personal thing) once every few weeks and just eat what I want (I rarely get above 3000 cals and my TDEE is right around there).

I would just have one high day and then the rest be back on target. If I have three days in a row to 'make up' for one bigger day- then my workouts suffer and my body doesn't trust that Im going to KEEP feeding it. Hope that makes sense.

Protein shakes- there are SO many different kinds. My favorite thing is to add peanut butter or strawberries to it. You can also get flavorless protein powder and add it to all kinds of food- like oatmeal or spaghetti sauce or muffins. Perhaps that would be a better option for you?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Gemiwing is correct. Feed your body consistently so it knows you are not just binging to then starve it again. I have done what you have been and my weight lose stalled. Eating under BMR tells your body immediately to slow down.

Protein, protein, protein is key! Being over in fat is not so bad but being under in protein is. Protein is the building block for muscle building and repair.

Regarding your workout, I think it is a bit much. I would suggest MWF heavy lift and T,TH spin. Instead of always spinning change things up, do interval training as suggested in NROLFW.

Listen I know it is a struggle, but remember you have yoyo'd for a while and in a sense continued even while upping. I understand the fear but I am telling you, you give your body the consistent level of food and don't sweat spike days(your body really does rejoice then..I had a 3194 spike day yesterday). I have read to help burn fat you do so every week. I have more research to do on it and will share that as well. But for now trust the system..remember the low cals did not work before...it isn't sustainable. Why go through the torture of deprivation to not be able to maintain that miniscule consumption forever and regain and exceed previous gains...
  • paj315
    Options
    You girls are awesome!!

I have been thinking about adding another lifting session per week, I'm a little scared though because I have never done any weight lifting without my trainer and I cannot afford a third session a week with him!!

I know the higher cals are good for me! Back when I was eating 1200 my trainer stopped in the middle of a session and said that he could tell that I wasn't eating enough because I was not performing well, so he's happy that I am eating more!

I had breakfast with my mom this morning who is also losing but she is eating 1100 to 1400 cals a day and doing all the spin with me plus zumba (no lifting) and is losing like crazy, actually twice the amount that I have in the same amount of time. She was chiding me this morning for eating so much. She keeps trying to tell me that I need to "cut back". I tried to explain why I am doing what I am doing but she just doesn't get it.

I will stick with this for sure, if only, because I don't think I could survive just eating 1200 calories again!!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You girls are awesome!!

I have been thinking about adding another lifting session per week, I'm a little scared though because I have never done any weight lifting without my trainer and I cannot afford a third session a week with him!!

I know the higher cals are good for me! Back when I was eating 1200 my trainer stopped in the middle of a session and said that he could tell that I wasn't eating enough because I was not performing well, so he's happy that I am eating more!

I had breakfast with my mom this morning who is also losing but she is eating 1100 to 1400 cals a day and doing all the spin with me plus zumba (no lifting) and is losing like crazy, actually twice the amount that I have in the same amount of time. She was chiding me this morning for eating so much. She keeps trying to tell me that I need to "cut back". I tried to explain why I am doing what I am doing but she just doesn't get it.

I will stick with this for sure, if only, because I don't think I could survive just eating 1200 calories again!!!

Oh my she is losing so much muscle. No way!

Listen lady you have a trainer twice a week, you sure can do it on your own one day. I know you can!
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I once asked a similar question.. people looked at my diary and showed me that I was eating too many processed foods and to add more fresh fruits and veggies. Once I noticed that and admitted it, I began to cut out some of the processed and add fresh. I saw weight loss that week.
  • paj315
    Options
    Thanks, I typically eat pretty healthy, very little processed food, but I have noticed over the last month or so things have slipped back in, like Kashi frozen waffles with real maple syrup!! I probably shouldn't be eating those everyday!!!