Need advice on dance software for wife

Options
dougii
dougii Posts: 679 Member
My wife and daughter just went to a Zumba event last night and really enjoyed themselves. My wife would like to lose about 20 pounds but has a bit of a problem - her spine was fused about 7 years ago from L4 through T2 so she found that the jumping movements in Zumba were quite painful, enough so that she will not do them. She would like to do something along the lines of Zumba or some other dance type workout but I have no clue as to what would be good for her. Any advice on dance type software or other software that you think would work for her would be very welcome. Pros and cons? Thanks in advance - you are a great group! (BTW - a fused spine means that she has no disks anymore, just one very long large bone, 4 rods and about 26 screws.)

Replies

• Calyps0
    Calyps0 Posts: 44
    Options
    Sorry and commiserations. I can't help except to mention one that I would like (but it doesn't seem to be available in this country so I have no experience of it to rate it) and that is; Walk It Out. Not dancing but walking to music. There are reviews on youtube if you're interested.
  • 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have to agree walk it out might be the best, there won't be as much hip/back movement like there is with dancing....Its not a Wii game but she could try Richard Simmons Sweating to the oldies they are half dancing and very fun to do...Personally I have not tried the Walk It Out but I do --do several walking DVD workouts and I love them...Hope this helps
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Sorry and commiserations. I can't help except to mention one that I would like (but it doesn't seem to be available in this country so I have no experience of it to rate it) and that is; Walk It Out. Not dancing but walking to music. There are reviews on youtube if you're interested.
    [/quote

You can get it on eBay but its not cheap they sometimes go for £70-£80!
  • Calyps0
    Calyps0 Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks shakybabe I saw that on ebay but at that kind of coin I don't think I want it that much! It works out at 121 Australian dollars plus postage - I could possibly buy a 2nd hand American wii console and have it posted back here for that price! I wonder why it is so rare.

On another subject; have you tried a pilates ball for exercising with? I haven't tried it so I don't know how easy it is but it might be a useful aid for balancing.

A walking DVD sounds interesting Reneejax22, I might have to try and get ahold of one of those too.
  • 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The walking DVD's that I have are by: Leslie Sansone and one by Denise Austin
    I must say that I like the ones by Leslie the best. With both of them you can walk from 1-5 miles.

Here in the states we have some libraries that will let you check them out, see if you can do the same to try it out :flowerforyou:
  • dougii
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - I will pass it on to my better half. 1 more work day and I am on vacation!!!! 2 more days and we are on the road - woo hoo!!!!
  • Suegeee
    Suegeee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fusion, but have 2 (minor) herniated discs L4-S1, so have limitations too. I just bought (for $10 at Gamestop-used) Get Fit with Mel B. It's got lots of variations including a dance component (though not like Zumba) plus cardio, combat, etc. Lots of aerobic variation AND she can choose the exercises she can/wants to do. I LOVE IT!! You're a good husband to try and help :)
  • AggieSigner
    AggieSigner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think there is a Gold's Gym game that might be something to look into. I don't really know much about it, and I'm not even sure how much it is price-wise. There's also the Just Dance games that you might look into as well. I don't know much about that either, but it's an idea.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    in UK the gold's gym game is called My fitness coach cardio workout. I got that for xmas and enjoy it.

It has boxing training and exams and an exercise/games session where some can also be done with balance board if you have one, though this isn't a dance game.
  • dougii
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I am going to get a couple of these DVDs, used, at Gamestop for her to try. This is a great forum and I really appreciate all of your input!!!