Any other shorties? :) And feedback please?

Options
amsparky
amsparky Posts: 825 Member
Hey all!

Just wondering if there are any other shorties on here that this is working for. I am having a heck of a time eating more and every time I do, I hear that little voice that says "you're short and don't need that many cals!" :)

If it helps, I'm a teacher and work out 5-6 days a week. I feel like I work out hard - NRWL4W and intervals 3 days, run 3 days 4+ miles and plyometrics 1 day a week. I assume that would put me at moderately active? The past few weeks I've had two or three off days a week, but that isn't the norm for me.

Thanks!

Replies

• Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and had lost/gained the same 2 pounds for 5 weeks. I upped my calories and lost over 4 pounds this past week. I know that everyone says to eat back exercise calories...I haven't started to do that yet, but I will probably do that when this loss slows down. O, and I usually have to be creative in the evening to find enough calories to eat. I need to get some protein powder and use that as a supplement...I think that would help.
  • amsparky
    Options
    Congrats on your success! May I ask how many cals a day you are on?
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" and started a modified version of New Rules (I have arthritis in my lower back and knees and program outlined in the book assumes you haven't any orthopedic issues). I started on MFP at the end of January and initially lost 3 lbs on 1200 cals. I upped it to 1400 (which is probably still too low) and I gained over and above what I had originally started at in late January. Then this past week plus, those lbs (about 5 ) dropped off. I lift 3xs weekly and do cardio (which I cut back from a45-60 mins 3xs weekly to 30 inclu cool down). On non-gym days, I take joy rides on my bike and take longer walks with my pooch. My plan by the end of April is to up my daily cals to 1600 work out days or not.

I want to loose 35 lbs and reduce my body fat to 23%. I'm 59 yrs YOUNG. I've already lost alot of inches since Jan. even though my weight on the scales is all over the place.

Hope all works out for you and am glad you are a New Rule Goddess!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 & currently cutting @1900-2000 cals ;)

I lift 3 days/wk, 2 cardio/wk

Works for me :)
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set just above my RMR at 2000. I did eat back some of my exercise calories today. Got about 2200 calories altogether, but I calculated about a 600 calorie burn doing TurboFire this morning.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I'm 5' 0" and eating 1800 - 1956

The scales and measurements are slowly coming down I'm only three weeks in but it does get easier to eat more!

I'm not eating back my exercise cals now unless my net is lower than my bmr - as exercise is already calculated into my tdee, but on days I'm hungry I will eat more.
  • amsparky
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input!

I think I have two things going on - too much cardio and too few cals! I'm just now getting to where I am eating over 1200 net cals - I assume I should be getting back to that TDEE - 15 or 20%?
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your input!

I think I have two things going on - too much cardio and too few cals! I'm just now getting to where I am eating over 1200 net cals - I assume I should be getting back to that TDEE - 15 or 20%?

Hi,
    I'm 42, about 5'6", am at 183 lbs and have recently upped my cals from 1200, to 1350 and now 1800 (TDEE - 15%). My normal activity range is 30-60 min cardio/circuit training 2x per week, walking, cleaning,etc. so, I would say that's light exercise for me. Feeling much better but may have put on 2 lbs (although I'm PMSing, so that might be the cause too). I will continue eating this way and hopefully my weight loss will kick in. I know I have to give it time...7 yrs of under eating would have caused some damage to my metabolism.

In reading your first post, I would say your activity level is more than moderate. So, yes, according to what I've been reading on many of the other posts, you should recalculate your TDEE (w/ a higher activity level) and eat 15% below that but no lower than your BMR on heavy workout days.

Nadia