NROLFW ... for husbands?

Options
zombilishious
zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
Hey all! I got back into lifting a few months ago, and discovered NROLFW. I just completed my first 2 workouts. My husband belongs to my gym, but never goes. In fact, he's never lifted weights in his life. He's decided he wants to work out with me 2 days a week ... purely out of insecurity. (He remembers what I looked like pre-kids when I lifted heavy, and is terrified I'm going to get fit and leave him ...ugh). Anyway, he's a real baby about muscle soreness and lifts 80lb pallets all day long at work. I'd love to have him do this with me (with modifications so he doesn't have to use a "girly" swiss ball) and know it would make him feel so much better in the long run, but I know he's going to feel that DOSM and decide he can't, which will only lead to a lack of support for me doing the program. Any suggestions on how to reassure him and keep him moving will be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the author say that this program is even harder than the boy one? :happy: that should be motivation enough to do the girly exercises too, haha.

Just drag him along, I'm sure he'll love it.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hubs is doing NROLW with me. He subs in v-ups in place of ball crunches; mountain climbers for jacknives. It's pretty easy to avoid the ball, with just a little creativity.

For soreness: come up with a stretching routine for after. We use a mishmash of Supreme 90 Day's cool down, and the cooldown from Kenpo X. Make sure you breathe through the stretches, and hold them for a good 60 seconds.

If your "manly man" is like mine, he's a bit of a baby about muscle soreness, so you might have to cater to him a bit. Run him a hot bath. Take turns with a foam roller. Give each other massages.

Oh, and make sure to massage his ego, too. Tell him how sexy you think he is when he's lifting; squeeze his biceps and purr when he's all pumped...guys eat that stuff up!

Good luck!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    There is a New Rules of LIfting for men as well.

Also, after doing a lot of reading - I highly recommend Strong Lifts (stronglifts.com). My hubby and 12 yo are doing this right now and I'm thinking about starting it as well but I want to finish NROLW