Starting ChaLEAN Extreme

Options

Replies

• Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    So I've now completed BC 2 of Week 1 and I have to say -- today went MUCH better than my first day! My weights were more appropriate and I felt like I had worked out. In fact, my arms are burning just a bit as I type this.

But this leads me to another question. (Remember, I'm new at this...) I only have dumbbells in 5 lb increments and only up to 20 lbs. Today I used mostly 10 lb weights. When should I move up to the 15 lb weights? When I feel like the 10s are getting "too easy"?

And, thinking even further ahead, the 10s seemed a little too easy for some of the lower body exercises, but is jumping up to 15 lbs going to be too much?

I have a feeling I'm going to have to find some money (or win the lottery) pretty soon and upgrade to heavier weights.

Rule of thumb for this program is if you are not dying by the 12th rep you need to go up in weight. I had to buy some 8lb and 12lb because for my upper body going up 5lbs was not feasible. It is okay if you are dying (fail) by your 10th rep but for this phase you need to make it to your 10th rep but it must be heavy enough you can't go beyond your 12th rep. Hope this makes since. I am using 8lb and 10lb on upper body and 10 and 15lb depending on what the exercise is on my lower body.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    So I've now completed BC 2 of Week 1 and I have to say -- today went MUCH better than my first day! My weights were more appropriate and I felt like I had worked out. In fact, my arms are burning just a bit as I type this.

But this leads me to another question. (Remember, I'm new at this...) I only have dumbbells in 5 lb increments and only up to 20 lbs. Today I used mostly 10 lb weights. When should I move up to the 15 lb weights? When I feel like the 10s are getting "too easy"?

And, thinking even further ahead, the 10s seemed a little too easy for some of the lower body exercises, but is jumping up to 15 lbs going to be too much?

I have a feeling I'm going to have to find some money (or win the lottery) pretty soon and upgrade to heavier weights.

When I was in Target I tried out the 20s. They felt like a big jump from the 15s for my biceps. I know a 5 lb jump would be hard on my triceps. So I bought 2 lb wrists weights to help bridge between weights.

The heaviest I have is 15 at the moment. I held off buying some 20s because I want to look into an adjustable system. I don't want to have a whole bunch of dumbbells. I looked at Push so I know I'll need heavier weights for it.
  • KathieDee
    KathieDee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just finished Turbo Jam Fat Blaster workout...so much sweat....I feel good!!!
    Will be doing Burn Circuit 2 tomorrow.
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE this workout. I'm on day 2 of chalean extreme (yesterday was rest day, but I did an hour on the elliptical) Can't wait to see my 30, 60 and 90 day result! Hope you ladies have a great evening. Happy burning :smile:
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I just ordered CX tonight & hopefully will get it later this week!! I can't wait!! I have weights that go up to 20lbs, will that be enough or will I likely have to invest in more? What do most of you lift by the end of the 90 days? Just curious...
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    I'm in! I started today, Monday 4-2-12. I just finished the first workout about an hour ago. I'm a total newbie at this. :)

But....I'm disappointed in my workout. I think maybe I underestimated my weights, so the workout seemed very easy for me. I'll have to use heavier weights on Wednesday.

I also think some of my "That's it?" feeling is because I've been doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred/Ripped in 30 and am somewhat used to Jillian trying to kill me.

I feel like I still need to exercise today.

(Edited because I apparently had no idea what today's date was!)

You sound just like I did when I started. It took me until week 3 to feel as though I was truly challenging myself with the weights. I was used to doing lots of cardio so I felt like I was missing something. I did add in more cardio than the program had for my non-lifting days. Sometimes I jog after my lifting workout. I take my rest days now though.

I can already see a difference in my arms. I haven't taken my second measurements yet. I have some work pants I haven't been able to wear in months. Just last week they were snug in the derriere. The scale has not budged in two weeks, but I'm wearing the pants right now and they are loose. When I was where you are now, I read these types of posts and wondered how that could really be. Yet here I am three weeks later with loose pants.

Karen

I felt the same way too at the beginning (first week) and was told by someone who was further along that if it feels too easy, make sure to move really slowly and flex muscles, what a difference. I had thought I was moving slow enough as it is such a mindset change after doing TurboFire but what a difference. As soon as I start moving too fast even now (1 more week to go for my 1st round) I notice it feels too easy.
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    I am almost done the first round of CXE/TF hybrid that I set up. Next Round 2 on April 16th. I am doing Janelle Summers hybrid which I think will be much tougher cardio wise :)
  • Kincar
    Options
    I just ordered CX tonight & hopefully will get it later this week!! I can't wait!! I have weights that go up to 20lbs, will that be enough or will I likely have to invest in more? What do most of you lift by the end of the 90 days? Just curious...

I only just finished Burn so I can't answer concerning the end. The heaviest I currently have is 15s. It wasn't quite heavy enough for the leg only exercises in BC3 but I made do by moving very slowly. I definitely need heavier weights for Push because the execercises are single muscle group so I will be able to go heavier on all leg work. I had not been lifting heavy-ish before starting CLX.

I don't know what shape you're in, but I would think 20 lbs would be good through Burn. If you've been lifting you pro a ly want heavier weights. HTH

Karen
  • lilbit71
    lilbit71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Also, don't forget, she says if you don't have weights that are heavy enough SLOW down your reps and make the weight you do have feel heavier. If you slow it down, the weight will seem heavier.

When I was in Target I tried out the 20s. They felt like a big jump from the 15s for my biceps. I know a 5 lb jump would be hard on my triceps. So I bought 2 lb wrists weights to help bridge between weights.

The heaviest I have is 15 at the moment. I held off buying some 20s because I want to look into an adjustable system. I don't want to have a whole bunch of dumbbells. I looked at Push so I know I'll need heavier weights for it.
  • lilbit71
    lilbit71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started CLX Monday and will do my 3rd workout today. I totally lucked out and had a friend that was selling the Bowflex dumbells CHEAP, so I bought them from her! BEST INVESTMENT EVER!!! This is my second go round with CLX as I didn't follow through the first time, but I am SO excited to see results after 30, 60 and 90 days. I was told Sunday that I was getting definition in my arms and that was just from the 1st 2 weeks of my first attempt! I can't wait to see what really doing the program does for me. I'm so glad this group is here! I am a Beachbody Coach, but that certainly doesn't mean that I know everything about every workout, so have the knowledge of others that have done this workout is wonderful and comforting! Thanks for being here...
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    What does it mean when you finish your first month of Burn CLX and didn't lose a single inch off your body? I'm disappointed :(

Actually, what I'm most troubled by is that I played about 30 minutes of Wii Tennis with my family last night and my arms and back are so sore this morning that I can barely move them. You would think that after a month of "extreme" arm work a little game of wii would not render me incapacitated:)

I used heavy weight to the point of failure, as in I could not raise them for another rep without using poor form, so what do you guys think?

Vicky
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I am not sure why you didn't lose an inch. I have lost 3.5 off my waist alone. Do you not have a lot to lose? Did you eat enough? I know that you are also running not sure if you are possibly doing to much so you weren't able to put enough into your weight training days. I would need a little more info. Do you hurt the day after your weight days? How heavy did you get? In Burn I ended the 4th week using nothing but 8,10,15lbs. But started barely using 3,5,8lbs. Did you make sure to increase your weights each time you could?
  • mom2fabfive
    mom2fabfive Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    HI Everyone! I just found this group.My name is Tara and I am a mom to 5 fabulous kids. I am trying to drop at least 23 more pounds. I started my first round of CLX on Friday April 13th. I will be on day 6 of my second week tomorrow. Then Thursday will be rest day. Will start week 3 of burn circuit on Friday. I am loving the program so far.
  • Kincar
    Options
    Vicky - Can you have someone watch you work out so they can check your form? If you haven't lifted before, it can be hard to catch your own mistakes. How heavy are you lifting? Did you increase your weights over the course of Burn?

With the post-Wii soreness, it could be that you simply used your muscles in different ways/movements than you do while doing CLX. The movements are much more rapid for sure.

Tara - Welcome! I'm on week 2 or 3 of Push. I've had great results from this program. During Burn I didn't think I was changing much. I was very pleasantly surprised when I measured myself at the end.

~ Karen
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that I rec'vd my CX program & started it on Saturday April 14th....I love it!! I am now on W2D4...I just wanted to stop in and say 'Hi' to everyone else who is doing this as well...I have seen that others are doing a mixture of 2 things but for me right now I am just proud that I have stuck with one program right now but maybe on the 2nd go round - if I do that - I will try to mix it up with something else as well!! :)
  • ChiJenn
    ChiJenn Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Jennifer 40 years old with two little girls 5 and 8 yrs. trying to lose this 15 pounds that has slowly found it's way onto my belly, thighs and rear! Started on 4/9/12 and Shakeology on 4/7/12. Gained 1 1/2 pounds the first week with the program, very sad about that. But I knew I was working out hard and eating right so I am going to try and not think about that. I hid the scale and will weigh and measure again at the 30 day mark. Got my fingers crossed that I see some results. I have tried going to the gym and cardio and counting calories for about 7 years with minimal results. I hope CLX and weights change all that! I am and have been sore since I began the program. Trying to also add in 30 min. or more of walking per day. I have a bum knee that I am currently in rehab for (hurt it 3 days before I was suppose to start CLX) another roadblock, there always seems to be one when I try and lose weight. But this time I said too bad I am going forward anyway, my body will adjust and I am working through it! So my question is do I really need to "eat back" the calories I burn as suggested by My Fitness Pal? I just feel like I am eating a lot on some days.

* Love to add some friends.
  • mom2fabfive
    mom2fabfive Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    So glad to have found this group! Please feel free to add me as a friend so we can motivate and support each other! I just finished week 2 day 6 of burn cycle. Tomorrow is my much deserved rest day! Will rest up and be ready to start my third week on Friday!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    CLX rocks! I'm a grad... 20lbs, 21" and 10% body fat in 90 days. This was the program I used to start my weight loss journey and it changed my body shape entirely... I can't say enough about the benefits of women lifting weights.
  • clowermom
    clowermom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Jennifer 40 years old with two little girls 5 and 8 yrs. trying to lose this 15 pounds that has slowly found it's way onto my belly, thighs and rear! Started on 4/9/12 and Shakeology on 4/7/12. Gained 1 1/2 pounds the first week with the program, very sad about that. But I knew I was working out hard and eating right so I am going to try and not think about that. I hid the scale and will weigh and measure again at the 30 day mark. Got my fingers crossed that I see some results. I have tried going to the gym and cardio and counting calories for about 7 years with minimal results. I hope CLX and weights change all that! I am and have been sore since I began the program. Trying to also add in 30 min. or more of walking per day. I have a bum knee that I am currently in rehab for (hurt it 3 days before I was suppose to start CLX) another roadblock, there always seems to be one when I try and lose weight. But this time I said too bad I am going forward anyway, my body will adjust and I am working through it! So my question is do I really need to "eat back" the calories I burn as suggested by My Fitness Pal? I just feel like I am eating a lot on some days.

* Love to add some friends.

I really, really, really think you should eat back your calories! It's amazing how many calories you burn lifting weights. Do you have an HRM? If so, log those calories. If not, I used a formula from the New Rules of Lifting for Women to determine how many calories I should eat to lose or maintain (I'm in maintenance) and then how many calories I needed on workout days. So far so good. I've been following this formula for the last 4 weeks and haven't gained.

And when it comes to "eating back" calories -- make sure they are worthy calories. I try to eat more protein on days that I lift. In fact, I have my macros set at 40 protein / 30 carbs / 30 fat.

....Just my 2 cents. :smile:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Starting again...I have done some of Chalean Extreme then took a break to give NROL4W a try. I do like NROL but I feel actually completing CLX 1st will help be more efficient with another lifting program. I am going to try doing a CLX/TF hybrid now. I am the worst with sticking to a progam, I guess I just get bored but I'm really hoping to make it all the way through CLX this time before moving back on to NROL4W.