IT Band advise

Options
JodaNord
JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
I posted this to fitness and exercise too, i need all the help i can get!

So I strained my IT band.

I am getting a foam roller today. i also have a massage therapy appointment for tomorrow and am going to see an acupuncturist when i can get in.

My problem is I injured it a week ago now, going for too long a run and pushing past where i should have stopped. I rested for two days, tried to do a short treadmill run and didn't even make 20 mins. I left it and didn't run for 5 days then went outside and just barely made 3 miles before walking the last 2 mins home. I have my first half marathon to run and dont want to have to bow out because of the knee! what else can i do, or how long can this last before i can run again?

Replies

• JodaNord
    Options
    bump
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've been in that situation before... and it's not fun. Sounds like you have a plan in place, but you need to rest and ice too. Rest is the hardest part because you want to continue training. I once had to pass on a sprint tri and half marathon in the same month since it took three weeks before I could run. Ice packs will help reduce inflammation. Other than that, I used a foam roller like you have been. I was amazed at the tension that was in the upper/outer leg area, but the roller really does help.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Thanks, i don't want to miss the half marathon, so rest, ice and stretches, as well as acupuncture and massage are what i am trying and see if next week I can run at all... OTherwise, i get the bike out and try that at least till i can run! and hope i am good to go MAy 6th!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I had the same injury in 2009. I eventually had to stop running for an extended period of time for it to get better. I was in trainng for a 10k, trying to break 46 minutes. I had to resign myself to the fact that I wasn't going to break 46. I want to say I stopped running for about a month before the race. I was able to do the elliptical and other cardio exercises. I felt good on race day, but I was a hurtin' puppy afterwards.
    Also, have you tried an IT Band Strap (brace)?
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I haven't, as i just started addressing this issue this week, as i figured rest after the run where i felt it would do it, but not the case. So a brace is a good idea, i can try it out...
  • jdelot
    Options
    Yep, the brace helps...but rest is the key. I know it sucks. You're probably trained up pretty close to ready for the 1/2.
    BTW, I have my first 1/2 that same day.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Sweet, Thanks for the info, makes me feel better. I ran 12 miles the day i injured the knee, so i know i can do the Half, but i would be feeling better if i could continue to run up to the same day! My half is in Vancouver BC
  • jdelot
    Options
    Mine is in Lincoln, Nebraska.
  • Edumovich
    Edumovich Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm going thru the same thing right now. Injured my IT band 8+ weeks ago. I rested for 2 weeks, then started back on the elliptical then slowly started running. Got up to 6 miles and it started hurting again. Had to take another 2 weeks off. Can now run 3 miles without pain but no where near I want to be for my training. I have a half that same day, it is my second half but I am thinking about not doing it. I don't want to injure myself so bad that I can't run for months. I figured I have already done a half so I know I can do it, planning on taking it easy for a few months and signing up for another half in Fall. Good luck to you. I know how frustrating IT band injuries are.
    I roll it out twice a day, and stretch with some yoga. Elliptical really helped while I couldn't run. I heard that massage therapy didn't really help people, just rolling it out was sufficient. However, I have heard that acupuncture works about 50% of the time. Good luck!
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I am hoping doing acupuncture helps, and taking it easy the next two weeks, with not running, then trying next weekend for a run, and i am going to get my bike out and try that this weekend too. SO, i am going for the race, its a month away and we'll see, if i can't finish running, i can at least finish walking... THen i will try again next year i guess...
  • Edumovich
    Edumovich Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!! Hopefully the acupuncture helps!!!! Let me know if it does!
  • jdelot
    Options
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I think I've developed the issue. It started last week. I just took it easy on the running and the first day I was able to run this week (due to weather and the gym being closed) it happened again. I iced it that night, yesterday when I got home from work, and I busted out a foam roller. My problem with the foam roller, I start at my hip and when I get to almost my knee, it really hurts. Luckily I got time before I do a half (my goal is by January) but I do have a Warrior Dash in 2 weeks and a 10k at the end of May.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    SO to update, i have been resting and not running for two weeks now, and using the foam roller, been to massage and Acupuncture. Tried to go for a run this weekend, didn't alst 15 minutes and then hurt like a bgger all day. So, i have an appt with physio tomorrow and we'Ll see what they say now. The Half on May 6th may be out, but if it is, i am aiming for October one in my hometown instead! Any thoughts or ideas what else to be doing to get this better?

I do foam roller, strenght dvds, bike to work, walks, and have a brace and joint/ache cream i use as well....
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    SO to update, i have been resting and not running for two weeks now, and using the foam roller, been to massage and Acupuncture. Tried to go for a run this weekend, didn't alst 15 minutes and then hurt like a bgger all day. So, i have an appt with physio tomorrow and we'Ll see what they say now. The Half on May 6th may be out, but if it is, i am aiming for October one in my hometown instead! Any thoughts or ideas what else to be doing to get this better?

I do foam roller, strenght dvds, bike to work, walks, and have a brace and joint/ache cream i use as well....

From what I've read and researched it sounds like you are doing everything right...hopefully the physio will have more info, but it really does sound like you need to keep doing what your doing and continue on! Hope it heals fast for you sweetie and good luck! I'm dealing with a sore ankle and not sure if it's a stress fracture or just irritated...so I feel your pain (a little) but my half is not until Sept. so I have a lot more time...blessings and luck to you!
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Thanks! Its weak ankle muscles and collapsed arch and then some weaker muscles in my hamstrings. So i am doing strengthening exercises daily as per the Physiotherapist and biking to work and doing strenght dvds to keep my fitness halfway decent. Monday I go for a run on the track with the therapist to assess my gait and see what i need to change or improve to make running pain/injury free.

i didnt "injure" myself doing something bad, it was a build up of weakness in certain muscles being compensated for by other muscles that eventually was just too much strain on the ones compensating...
  • jdelot
    Options
    Thanks! Its weak ankle muscles and collapsed arch and then some weaker muscles in my hamstrings. So i am doing strengthening exercises daily as per the Physiotherapist and biking to work and doing strenght dvds to keep my fitness halfway decent. Monday I go for a run on the track with the therapist to assess my gait and see what i need to change or improve to make running pain/injury free.

i didnt "injure" myself doing something bad, it was a build up of weakness in certain muscles being compensated for by other muscles that eventually was just too much strain on the ones compensating...
    I missed your original update. Sorry to hear that it's not going so well. But, at least now you have a plan to get back to healthy. Sucks that you will probably have to miss the 1/2 on the 6th. Better to skip it and get yourself right, though.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    [/quote]
    I missed your original update. Sorry to hear that it's not going so well. But, at least now you have a plan to get back to healthy. Sucks that you will probably have to miss the 1/2 on the 6th. Better to skip it and get yourself right, though.
    [/quote]

Thats my thought too, i would rather get totally healthy and things working properly and run the entire Half, then go out strong, feel pain partway and limp walking across the finish.

I plan on hitting up a half in my hometown in Ocotober now. Whether i run May 6th or not will be up to the therapist Monday after we run...