Help with weights PLEASE

Options
5ladybugs
5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
I'm not having much luck with the scale, I've upped my calories but just a few days ago.
I'm on week 8 tomorrow of C25K and I LOVE running. I don't want to give that cardio up.
Everyone on MFP seems to love strength/weight training. I'm going to give it a try. These are the items I found at my house ( teenage boys)
2 3lb dumbells
2 5 lb dumbells
2 5 lb ankle weights
2 15lb dumbells
A weight bench, its old and crappy but usable I think.
A bar
3 2.5 weights
4 5 lb weights,
6 10lb weights
6lb weight ball
Skipping rope
Rubber stretchy looks like skipping rope?! :)

Any suggestions? Exercises, length and how many days a week. I run every 2nd day.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    There are so many exercises you can get going with with equipment that you have. I would strongly suggest grabbing a copy of New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women. It has illustrations to ensure you do the movements properly and a regimen to get you going. It also has a complete breakdown of the nutritional aspects of what we have been discussing her, but way more of a humorous approach.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If I had that equipment I'd be sitting pretty!

ETA: I second the vote for "New Rules of Weight Lifting"
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I also encourage you to grab New Rules of Lifting. I've been using the book and it's been excellent. Sounds like you have a great variety of equipment there. Happy lifting!!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    You seem to have a good base to start with. You could either start with videos (check out Shop.cathe.com or collagevideo.com), finding some that use the equipment you own, or take advantage of free sites that show you how to do workouts, like these:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/recapture-your-form-5-post-pregnancy-circuits.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/11-at-home-bikini-model-exercises.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/home-for-the-holidays.html

Bodyrock.tv

Or the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women"

~Kiki
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this was posted... here at home I've got a dumbbell set that I can make up to 20 pounds each, and the resistance bands that came with the Billy Blanks Boot Camp DVD set (which I still have!). I am moving at the end of July and don't know if I'll have access to a gym. Smallish town in Texas. So I'll have to use the things I have at home to get my strength training in. I will be getting the "New Rules of Lifting" book, it's already in my cart at amazon.com, along with the Women's Health "Big Book Of Exercises" (anybody seen or used this one?)... Soon as my "fast food" jar has the money in it, I'm buying those.

For the record: Fast Food jar is a queso jar that I drop money in every time I REALLY want fast food, to the point I would have gone out and bought it in the past. When I want new fitness gear, I dip into that jar. I confess to being a recovering fast food junkie.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    the Women's Health "Big Book Of Exercises" (anybody seen or used this one?)...

I've seen it and purchased it for people before. Definitely a worthwhile purchase..
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The women's health book is great. It has lots of variations on common exercises, so you'll be sure to get the workout you need with the equipment you have on hand. I bought both books in this post from amazon.