Yield Not to Temptation

Options
egwatkins
egwatkins Posts: 9 Member
There's an old hymn that we used to sing in church called "Yield Not to Temptation." The first line of the song says:

"Yield not to temptation. For yielding is sin."

Funny thing about that song is that every time I walked in our office break room today and saw that gallon size bag of snacks (miniature Snickers and Starburst candies) sitting on the counter, THOSE lyrics would pop in my head. I couldn't help but laugh a little bit as I was being not so subtlely convicted to stay away from the bag.

But the next line in the song is so encouraging: "Each victory will help you some other to win." That's what it's all about...each good decision building upon the next to give us victory each day over unhealthy habits.

For the record...I, personally, love the lyrics in the chorus of this song: "Ask the Savior to help you, comfort, strengthen and keep you. He is willing to aid you. He will carry you through." How edifying it is to believe that God wants me to have victory in this area as much as, IF NOT MORE THAN, I do. After all, I am His temple.

So in the meantime, when I HAVE to go in the break room, I'll keep laughing and singing my old hymn knowing that I don't have to give in to the temptation and I can be victorious over my cravings.

Keep up the good fight, everyone!!! :happy: