Love to exercise...Love to eat.

Options
TriMom1976
TriMom1976 Posts: 4 Member
I'm motivated to exercise. I love to jog, bike, swim, etc. I love the mental clarity I gain from a 3 mile jog. But..yes, there is a BIG butt :laugh: : ). not really that big, What I mean is.... i struggle with portions and cravings. Who else feels this way? and what are we going to do about it?

Replies

• spudlovie
    spudlovie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well, I love to eat and I am not to fond of exercise. Bad combo. I do have a big butt, lol. Actually it's worse then a big butt. It's a flat butt with fat coming off the side of it, eeeeww. I love food, all types and if it tastes good, I want to eat all of it. Portion control is sooo hard. When I was learning what portion sizes were it was a huge eye opener for me. I saw I was eating like 5 times the portion sizes.
  • skinnyallover
    Options
    I totally feel you. The best thing I can do is remove myself from a situation where there are tempting foods, but this isn't always possible. Then, try to repeat a mantra or drink water.
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well, being a guy, its not the butt, its the gut! I have jeans that fall down, but my belly hangs over - gross! :ohwell:

I love food, that's it. I love good food the most, but once I start eating mindlessly, then I eat just because food is there. I am working extra hard NOT to just pop food into my mouth at a party or in front of the TV. For me, its all about changing these bad habits AND replacign them with good ones.

Two big things that work (so far) are:
    1. Planning food and treats (nothing wrong cake or cookie if you eat a small portion as PART of your balanced diet).
    2. Tracking EVERYTHING - I am sure this is 95% psychological, but it keeps me honest and I can track progress.

Cheers,
    Matt
  • wackicatt
    wackicatt Posts: 23
    Options
    You want it? So just eat it..... Lol, in a healthier form. Have you tried any of the recipe on this site? The black bean brownies are really good, and so are the pudding milk shakes......
  • mondlater
    mondlater Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE food too! I am usually pretty good at what I make at home. My problem is when we go out. Which we do a lot, and then I make bad choices. I also LOVE to exercise! I get my workout in everyday. I do at home video's! I am trying to drink a shake everyday which helps, I just have to learn to make wise choices when we go out.
  • trinoc
    trinoc Posts: 73
    Options
    I've quit serving meals family style at home. I know that it's the ideal that everyone strives for, lol, but it just makes it too easy for me to get more. So, everyone puts their food on their plate at the stove. After sitting, eating, and getting my kids to talk and eat (seriously....wrangling some words out of the teenagers...ha) I feel satisfied and have no desire to get up and go back the stove for more food. I'm also satisfied enough to clean up the kitchen mess w/o needing to clean off serving spoons w/ my mouth.

My favorite thing to do at restaurants and portions is this. Have them bring me a "to go" box when they bring my meal. Separate my portion immediately and put the box off the table. Then eat the food I've got left, a real portion, not a restaurant portion. I NEVER take home a restaurant dessert but I will order them. I'll take 2 bites and then dump water on the remainder so it's ruined and I'm not tempted for one more bite. Two bites satisfies that end of meal sweet desire w/o wreaking havoc on your MFP diary. I have lots of friends ask me about the wasted money. Here's my deal....I spend the money if I order the dessert. Later that day or sometime the next day, that dessert will be flushed down the toilet, if I eat it, or it's dumped at the restaurant, if I don't. Either way...it becomes waste!
  • elisacanada
    Options
    This thing I will try for April is to focus on my hunger. Don't eat if you are not hungry . And when I am hungry, I wait 5 minutes more before going to the kitchen .
    Eat slowly and stop when I am full. That's my plan.
    That plus cut on sweet , cut on salt, cut on red meat and cut on carbs. Already it feels depressing but I can do it !
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you! I run a lot and am training for triathlon season, but I can just go over the top with eating somedays! I know that the amount I exercise does not cover the extra calories I eat!
  • tyabd
    tyabd Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've quit serving meals family style at home. I know that it's the ideal that everyone strives for, lol, but it just makes it too easy for me to get more. So, everyone puts their food on their plate at the stove. After sitting, eating, and getting my kids to talk and eat (seriously....wrangling some words out of the teenagers...ha) I feel satisfied and have no desire to get up and go back the stove for more food. I'm also satisfied enough to clean up the kitchen mess w/o needing to clean off serving spoons w/ my mouth.

My favorite thing to do at restaurants and portions is this. Have them bring me a "to go" box when they bring my meal. Separate my portion immediately and put the box off the table. Then eat the food I've got left, a real portion, not a restaurant portion. I NEVER take home a restaurant dessert but I will order them. I'll take 2 bites and then dump water on the remainder so it's ruined and I'm not tempted for one more bite. Two bites satisfies that end of meal sweet desire w/o wreaking havoc on your MFP diary. I have lots of friends ask me about the wasted money. Here's my deal....I spend the money if I order the dessert. Later that day or sometime the next day, that dessert will be flushed down the toilet, if I eat it, or it's dumped at the restaurant, if I don't. Either way...it becomes waste!

good point... though if you dont order it at all you save your money and someone else in this world gets a chance to eat ;)
  • Alana231
    Alana231 Posts: 8
    Options
    I love my excerise that I start about week ago. I do have down falls with eating out. I goofed it up today. But tomorrow I will have figure out a different plan then today. I have to town tomorrow too and I will have the same problem. I will be eating out. I could take a sandwich from home that will do. I will try that. Best make it tonight. :yawn:
  • KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Well, being a guy, its not the butt, its the gut! I have jeans that fall down, but my belly hangs over - gross! :ohwell:

I love food, that's it. I love good food the most, but once I start eating mindlessly, then I eat just because food is there. I am working extra hard NOT to just pop food into my mouth at a party or in front of the TV. For me, its all about changing these bad habits AND replacign them with good ones.

Two big things that work (so far) are:
    1. Planning food and treats (nothing wrong cake or cookie if you eat a small portion as PART of your balanced diet).
    2. Tracking EVERYTHING - I am sure this is 95% psychological, but it keeps me honest and I can track progress.

Cheers,
    Matt

So, so true, Matt. Planning and tracking EVERYTHING helps, and I know this b/c when I just grab something and eat it and it isn't the greatest option b/c I waited until I was too hungry to think clearly to make a healthy choice, I don't want to log it b/c I feel ashamed. But I make myself do it anyway. This seems to help motivate me for the next meal to do better. I have to do a better job of planning my food, b/c you are right, it is the greatest tool to helping me stay on track :)
  • KatieEppers
    KatieEppers Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I NEVER take home a restaurant dessert but I will order them. I'll take 2 bites and then dump water on the remainder so it's ruined and I'm not tempted for one more bite. Two bites satisfies that end of meal sweet desire w/o wreaking havoc on your MFP diary. I have lots of friends ask me about the wasted money. Here's my deal....I spend the money if I order the dessert. Later that day or sometime the next day, that dessert will be flushed down the toilet, if I eat it, or it's dumped at the restaurant, if I don't. Either way...it becomes waste!

Too Funny!!! But so true!
  • Habakkuk3
    Options
    Hi,
    Just starting myfitnesspal. What is a successful diet meal plan. I need to loose 20 pounds over the period of 2 months.
    Share with me what's working for you.

• mpoole6
    mpoole6 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody o:happy: ut there, I'm new to mfp but would love some input to get things moving on the workout front. I'm not new at trying to lose weight but this is the very first time that I feel its going to be successful if I keep up with it and eat the right combo of foods and excersice.:happy:
  • TriMom1976
    TriMom1976 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used be able to eat anything I wanted as long as I exercised. I realized about a year or so ago that I cannot out exercise my diet anymore. It's taking me awhile to get used to this new concept. I look as some food and think, "you can't be THAT bad for me.?!" and I eat it!
  • tammysl4
    tammysl4 Posts: 25
    Options
    I have only been using MFP for 2-3 weeks. I have lost 5lbs and my stomach has gotten smaller. I made a 2 egg omelet yesterday and could not finish it. A cup of soup with a slice of grain bread fills me for supper. Loving this and everyone here.
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used be able to eat anything I wanted as long as I exercised. I realized about a year or so ago that I cannot out exercise my diet anymore. It's taking me awhile to get used to this new concept. I look as some food and think, "you can't be THAT bad for me.?!" and I eat it!

Oh, I miss those days LOL :bigsmile:

However, I feel much better now that I am not stuffign my face with junk. I still eat alot volume wise (just look at my diary) but it is not donuts, candy, cookies etc on top of wjhat was a pretty nutritious diet to begin with (thanks to my lovely wife)
  • wonderlilly
    wonderlilly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    amen, girlfriend! we sound very similar! i LOVE working out, but i probably eat a lil more than i need to. will add you :)