Introductions

Options
Introduce yourself here! What are your goals, how long have you been on this journey, and who are you outside of your weight loss journey!

Replies

• steph2606
    steph2606 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi All! :)

My name is Steph. I am 21 Years old and I live in the UK just outside of London.

I would like to get down to a weight that i would class as "Healthy". Ok, to be honest, im not looking to be stick thin because i know my body isnt built to be like that, but i could be a hell of alot slimmer than i am now. But what is very important to me is learning to love how i look... I have never known what it is like to be slim or look great in what im wearing...so i guess my overall goals would be to get healthy and love my body.

As for how long i have been on this journey...well i could say since i started noticing my weight, so from around 11 years old.
    Losing and gaining is all i ever seem to do but this time...its coming off and STAYING OFF! :happy:

I am your usual, happy-go-lucky kind of girl who likes to listen to people. I would describe myself as friendly and open i guess? lol!
    Sorry i have never been so good at these "tell us about you" things... :blushing:

Feel free to add me :flowerforyou:

Love Steph xxx
  • halforc80
    halforc80 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi all! =)
    I'm Paul, 36, and I'm looking to get from around 23 stone down to a more healthy weight. I've not put a definite target for myself, as I think healthy is a good thing to aim for, but it's certainly going to need to me more than 100lbs!!

I've always been fat, since the age of 5-6, and I can't remember the last time I was able to walk into a high street shop and buy a pair of trousers that fitted. Of course I've tried lots of different diets over the years, but this time it feels different. I have a 6 year old daughter who worries about my size and that's a big incentive for me to do well.

I'm originally from Middlesex, but have lived in the West Midlands for the past 8 years. So anyway, that's me! =D
  • lauriemeridith83
    lauriemeridith83 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome Steph and Paul! I hope you guys can find the support and motivation that you need to succeed from this group!

My name is Laurie. I live in Louisiana (unofficially the FOOD state!) and am 28 years old.

I have always been overweight. Between my genetics, my mother's cajun cooking, and my absolute laziness (I admit it!), I had ballooned to an outrageous weight of 362.2 pounds! I order my clothes online because of how hard it is to find clothes in my size in stores (I'm now a 28), and I recently had to make an order from Old Navy. Old Navy only goes up to a size 30 (I don't know why I used the word only there..it's pretty impressive that they go up to a size 30 with not being a plus size specific store). When I made that order, I vowed I would NEVER have to purchase size 30s. I quickly forgot my promise, and my size 28s became very snug on me recently.

I've been on this journey (this time) for only 3 days. I've tried losing weight before, but every time I get to the 300 pound mark, I give up for one reason or another. I'm hoping this group can help me stay on track!! I am thrilled to say that in those 3 days I have already lost 7.2 pounds! Woot! I've also had to make myself limit my computer gaming to only 1 day a week so I have the time to focus on my health.

I have been happily married for 6 years to an awesome man who supports me no matter what size I am. My weight loss journey is not for my husband, but for myself. I feel like I am only a fraction of the person I really could be.
  • steph2606
    Options
    Wow i feel like i can relate to so much you have said here!

I order alot of stuff online too and was devestated when i found i went up a size recently!!

But the real moment when i thought...this has to change is when i got onto the scales and found myself weighing more than ever before!

And well done you!!! Losing 7.2lbs in 3 days?! Thats amazing!!!! Really inspirational. I lost my 6lb in just under a week and a half.

I am also with an amazing man who loves me exactly how i am, but i agree with you. I'm doing this for me and my life and my happiness!

Thanks for making this group!! i think i will find alot of motivation from here!

xxxx
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    I'm Frances, 29, and a married mother of one daughter. For most of my childhood up until college I was active and fairly slim. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my early twenties. Since that time I have slowly put on weight. In 2006 when I got pregnant with my daughter I was 176. I have only gone up from there. I hit 235 earlier this year - the heaviest I have ever been. I have struggled with losing weight always growing disheartened after awhile.

March 9th I went back to the doctor and was told the only way I'd be able to have anymore children would be to lose weight (something I already knew). Since my PCOS is primarily related to insulin resistance I was put on metforim. That day would change my life. Since that point I have dropped 17 lbs weighing in at 218 now. I'm just under that 100 lbs to go mark.

I have always been that quiet until you get to know me person. I'm incredibly stubborn. I have OCD tendencies when I put my mind to something. My family is the most important thing in the world to me. My husband is my best friend and there is no one else in the world I'd rather spend my time with. My daughter serves as my biggest achievement and is the light of my life.

I look forward to going through this journey with all of you! :)
  • steph2606
    Options
    Hi Frances!

so lovely to hear how much you treasure your family!

I look forward to continuing this journey with you too! :smile:

Its good to have some people to talk to that can relate to your experiences and feelings.

xxx
  • lauriemeridith83
    Options
    I have no doubt that both you ladies will reach your goals!!!
  • Raeken_Zayt
    Raeken_Zayt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Joseph and I'm 28 years old. Have tried things in the past without my success.

Starting in December I changed my diet and then added in walking in Jan, and now Gym late march and onward. So far, almost 35 lbs lost and counting.
  • lauriemeridith83
    Options
    Congratulations Joseph!! You are doing great! Welcome to the group!
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm Melissa. I've been overweight my whole life. Just like you Laurie, I didn't stand a chance against my mother's/grandmother's awesome Mexican food. I'll never be considered thin. I'll always have large thighs and a big butt...my aim is to be fit. I want to feel strong, feminine and lithe. I'm not all the way there yet, I've lost 78lbs so far but I still have about 47 more lbs to go! I've hit a plateau recently so I'm starting to eat back my exercise calories and switch up my workouts.

For those of you who are just starting...
    1) MFP really does work
    2) Eat back your exercise calories
    3) When doing cardio; intervals will burn more calories than going at a moderate pace the entire time
    4) I will not lie to you...it's going suck at first (especially if you're emotionally tied to eating) but stick with it!
    5) Start for all the wrong reasons if you have to - eventually it will turn into something so much more

Trust me, nothing compares to feeling strong lean muscles under your skin - it will give you such high levels of confidence and self-esteem unlike anything else can.

Good luck to us! I know we can do it :D
  • JVonni
    JVonni Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm Jovan and I'm a 24 y/o student from Florida. I was always pretty active up until I graduated from high school. I wanted a 'break' from everything when I first started college at 18, but that break turned into gaining the Freshman 15,20,25,etc. With my mom being a former model, I always had an issue with my body. My mom is naturally slim and my dad is big and broad. He played basketball most of his life....guess who got the basketball player body? :-)

I find that I'm more comfortable with myself now, than I was when I was 100 lbs smaller. I also realized that I have become too comfortable. Whenever I would go shopping and try something that was my current size on, if it didn't fit I would just buy the next size up without protest. I always brushed it off because I had so many hang ups with my body when I was younger, that I didn't want them to carry over into adulthood. Now I realize that I was just scared to face reality-- I needed to change. I've been on my weight loss journey since Feb 5th.

Unfortunately, I have been gaining and losing the same three lbs :-/ I'll admit I'm getting a tad bit frustrated, but I'm not going to give up...My muscles aren't sore for nothing! I'm really trying hard to make this change in my life so that I can be happy and healthy :-) I wish everyone the best of luck! You can do it!
  • lauriemeridith83
    Options
    Welcome Melissa! Congratulations on the weight loss so far! I know you can go the rest of the way! You're almost there! And thank you for all the tips!

And welcome, Jovan! Stick with it! Everyone has to find what works for them! And trust me, there is something that will work for you!
  • JVonni
    JVonni Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome Melissa! Congratulations on the weight loss so far! I know you can go the rest of the way! You're almost there! And thank you for all the tips!

And welcome, Jovan! Stick with it! Everyone has to find what works for them! And trust me, there is something that will work for you!

Thank you! I'm definitely working on what works for me. I've broken my weight loss into 25 lb increments. I feel like this will work better for me because if I keep 'mini goals' along the way, I'll feel more motivated! I am DEFINITELY the type to feel overwhelmed if I take on too much at once!
  • lauriemeridith83
    Options
    Something that may help you (now this is just what I do, not saying it is right for everyone) is cutting back your carbs/sugar and increasing your water intake. My diary should be open to anyone who wants to look at it. There will be a lot of people who disagree with my diet, but 7.2 pounds in 3 days is obviously something. But again, it isn't for everyone. It isn't easy, it isn't yummy, but it is effective.
  • missartthang
    missartthang Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    My name is Leah and I'm hoping to find and give some much needed support in our journey to healthy acceptance of ourselves-no matter what size! Thanks so much for starting this group- I've been heavy all my life and have gone up and down the scale. I don't like to weigh myself as I get fixated on the number on the scale; so instead I make "goal clothes". I just got into my goal pants recently and want to continue on the right path. I'm very active these days and am training for a 5K at the end of April, its been a goal of mine for some time to do one...very nervous but equally excited. When someone looks at me, the last thing they probably think is that I am capable of completing a 5K (I'm not a small lady)--but I am and I will get it done!...working out is not my challenge, its the FOOD!!!! I walk/jog 3x/week and also do Zumba and Yoga classes each week, but when the willpower leaves my car "takes" me to my fave restaurants or to the market and all the good I've done working out is erased by overeating. I'm definitely emotionally tied to food at times, and it has taken years for me to realize it.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all,
    Leah
  • missartthang
    Options
    Frances,
    I joined this group for several reasons, but one was because I read that you struggle with PCOS and its symptoms. I also have PCOS and have been battling my weight and dealing with symptoms for 10+years. Thank you for sharing and helping me to feel like I'm not alone!

Leah
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    Frances,
    I joined this group for several reasons, but one was because I read that you struggle with PCOS and its symptoms. I also have PCOS and have been battling my weight and dealing with symptoms for 10+years. Thank you for sharing and helping me to feel like I'm not alone!

Leah

Anytime! :)

I think it's important that those of suffering from PCOS understand and realize that it isn't a battle that only we are facing. It's more common than people think and unfortunately for those of us who were diagnosed with it years ago didn't have the same resources that being diagnosed today does.

In September there is a PCOS awareness 5k here in Houston. My goal is to be able to run it. It's a cause that is now very dear to my heart.
  • missartthang
    Options
    That's awesome! I try to speak about PCOS whenever I can because you're right--many women don't even know they have it and that it can have severe effects on the body. I'm trying to get healthy so that I can have a baby on my terms when I'm ready. I'm not ready just yet, but I'm working to get my physical health in shape so that when I do want to get pregnant, I can. Have a great day!

Leah:bigsmile:
  • steph2606
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    My name is Leah and I'm hoping to find and give some much needed support in our journey to healthy acceptance of ourselves-no matter what size! Thanks so much for starting this group- I've been heavy all my life and have gone up and down the scale. I don't like to weigh myself as I get fixated on the number on the scale; so instead I make "goal clothes". I just got into my goal pants recently and want to continue on the right path. I'm very active these days and am training for a 5K at the end of April, its been a goal of mine for some time to do one...very nervous but equally excited. When someone looks at me, the last thing they probably think is that I am capable of completing a 5K (I'm not a small lady)--but I am and I will get it done!...working out is not my challenge, its the FOOD!!!! I walk/jog 3x/week and also do Zumba and Yoga classes each week, but when the willpower leaves my car "takes" me to my fave restaurants or to the market and all the good I've done working out is erased by overeating. I'm definitely emotionally tied to food at times, and it has taken years for me to realize it.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all,
    Leah

Hi Leah,

I can totally relate to emotional eating! I am a BIG comfort eater. I eat whether i'm happy, sad, angry, tired...you name it...i'll eat however i feel! It's only recently where i started realising i was using food as a friend my whole life and that it needed to change!!

But we have taken the first step in changing our habits so we have already accomplished so much!

I look forward to taking this journey with you! :happy:

Steph:heart:
  • judithgemini
    Options
    My name is Judy. I live in Calif. I am 64 and tired of being tired and achy all the time. For some reason logging my foods has worked for me. Have done all the diets and was unable to stick with them. This is my first post. I am hoping for positive support to encourage new behavior.