Whey protein and lactose intolerance?

Options
I have been upping my calories for two weeks. I went from 1200 to 1800-1900. Haven't changed on the scale and I feel good. At first I felt "puffy", but that has subsided...phew! I will up again in two weeks after my son's wedding to find my true maintenance level.

Anyway...to my question. I am trying to get in more protein so I bought Jillian Michael's whey protein and have been having 1 scoop after workouts. But the side effects have been yucky. I did a little research and it seems it may have revealed a lactose intolerance. I don't usually have a lot of milk products, but will keeping an eye out for reactions for a while.

Any one else experience this? What can I use to substitute?

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    My Hubby is a vegan and uses soy protein powder- it's flavorless and he puts it on everything. There are rice protein powders as well.

Do a google search on vegan protein powder- those will be milk free. :)
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant. I have used Nitrofusion which is Vegan and didn't have any side effects. I am currently experimenting with Whey Protein Isolate and seem to be okay with that. The Isolate is more expensive, however the lactose is removed. At the moment, I am using Bluebonnet Whey Protein Isolate which only has whey protein isolate and natural vanilla flavoring. There are several brands that have Lactase added (Optimum's Gold Line, the new Species brand, etc.). Make sure you check the nutrition label and look for either Lactase added or ONLY whey protein isolate (or go Vegan...).
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Im going to try veg protein by naturade. I get a rash from dairy thats awful.

http://www.naturade.com/index.html
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I would have never thought I was lactose intolerant, but it may explain things.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I found out I was lactose intolerant in my mid twenties. I never had a problem before. Odd how things like that can develop!

I sometimes use whey protein, but I just take two lactaid pills with it and I'm good. I already use soooooo many soy products - I'm concerned about adding MORE soy to my diet, so I take my lactaid and I'm good. :)
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    Options
    I found out I was lactose intolerant in my mid twenties. I never had a problem before. Odd how things like that can develop!

I sometimes use whey protein, but I just take two lactaid pills with it and I'm good. I already use soooooo many soy products - I'm concerned about adding MORE soy to my diet, so I take my lactaid and I'm good. :)

I think I'll give that a try. I wasn't even having milk until I upped my calories. I think the whey put me over the top. I think I will also try some soy milk. Crazy how versatile soy is...I make soy candles, and granted they smell good enough to eat...I sure wouldn't. :)
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    We use Garden of Life Raw Protein powder... I was told by the sales person, the last time we went into Super Supplements to buy it (it was ON SALE!!), that she was amazed that it was their best seller, even over all the whey proteins.

It tastes good. It's vegan. It's more than just protein, it has a range of vitamins/minerals in it, too. It's actually priced a bit better than most, as well.

Oh, and if you are concerned about SOY, you can look at HEMP protein, or brown rice protein powders. Garden of Life doesn't rely on Soy, though. It has a wide range of protein sources in it.