1,200 enough for strength training? (chalean extreme)

Options
I'm doing Chalean Extreme workouts. I burn average 350-600 during the week. 350-900 during the weekend.

MFP gave me 1,200.

But someone said below 1,300 will put your body in starvation. Lately I've been eating about 1,500. Whenever I figure my calories with chalean extreme info book, it said I should have 1,479 calories a day. so that means the workout I do I should add them to how much I should have per day?

anyone experience?

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    you should net 1200 cals minimum. I don't know much about Chalean Extreme, but you should calculate your TDEE and eat 15-20% under that (unless it's less than 1200)
    there were some good links to calculating TDEE, lemme see if I can find.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    from bodybuilding.com, first find your BMR and then multiply by the activity factor:

There are then a number of other formula which calculate BMR. This means it calculates what you need should you be in a coma.

Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean. Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

As these are only BMR calculations To convert BMR to a TOTAL requirement you need to multiply the result of your BMR by an 'activity variable' to give TEE.
    The Activity Factor[/u] is the TOTAL cost of living and is BASED ON MORE THAN JUST YOUR TRAINING. It includes work, life activities, training/sport & the TEF of ~15% (an average mixed diet).
    Average activity variables are:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

How Accurate are they?: They give rough ball-park figures and are still 'guesstimations'. So the aim is to use these as 'rough figures', monitor your weight/ measurements for 2-4 weeks, & IF your weight is stable/ measurements are stable, you have likely found maintenance.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Not even close
  • jessie_rose24
    Options
    Not at all! Check out these links to postings on MFP regarding your TDEE

TDEE- What it is and why you should NOT eat below your BMR

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr

Next Step- What to do once you have your TDEE and BMR

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/541567-once-you-have-your-tdee-and-bmr-next-step

Upping Cals- What to expect and why you need patience!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

Excellent Calculator for BMR/TDEE

www.fitnessfrog.com
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    Thanks so much!! I need 1,941 calories when it comes to working out 6x a week. OMG! :) I usually eat 1,300-1,800 (rare). but seriously. why can't they have accurate info!