Finished Very First Workout.... Not Sore

Options
Is this a reason to up my weights? Truth be told, I didn't use any weights.:blushing: Except for a resistance band for the bentover rows. My husband, former lifter (kinda), told me that I should start with no weights so that I don't over-do it. So, I listened to him, and the workout was tough. I was sweating and it felt like a good workout. But today, I am not sore. I always thought that being sore was indicative of a good workout. However, since reading this book, everything I thought was true had been turned on its head. Is this one more thing to add to the list? TIA!

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I am not always sore after a workout, even if I feel that I worked out hard or couldn't have done it with much more weight, so I don't necessarily think that is an indicator. If you think you could have done more reps at the weight you used then it is time to up your weights.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Don't judge by how sore you get or not. Sometimes you get sore, sometimes you don't. I agree with Nelski-if you can get more reps with the current weight, increase the weight next time you do the workout. If you are worried about form with the heavier weights , then drop them untill you get form right. No one says you should load up and stick with that weight, you can always go down on the next set.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Wait 48 hours
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yanicka knows; Yanicka is wise.

Hard cardio will hit you the next day. Lifting soreness is a little different. It's deeper; not as intense, usually; and sneaks up on you the second day after a workout.

Something to do with the different type of muscle tissue that you are engaging, I'm sure, but I'm not that up on the science of it. I just know I loves me some DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). It's like a pat on the back for a job well-done.
  • HurrikaneHeather721
    Options
    That totally makes sense! Thanks ladies!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I was not sore after my first workout either so I decided to run the next day - BIG mistake! I was in agony the next two days!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Prior to starting New Rules, I did Bodypump-type classes and would get very, very sore for days afterwards. The soreness not going away after a day or two made me realize it was more than DOMS; I was overtraining my muscles.

I finished my 3rd NROL workout yesterday, and have had either just the right amount of soreness, or none at all after all 3 workouts. I am lifting pretty light, but increasing by 5lbs the first set and then 10lbs if I think I can handle it with each new workout. It may be baby steps, but I'm listening to my body and focusing on form for now, I agree that's the best way to go!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    So I did my first day of NROLFW on Monday. I felt like a fool! I watched myself in the mirror to make sure I was getting the form right, and all I could see was the basketball my stomach turned into when I did my squats. Then I was paranoid everyone was watching me. This was really hard for me mentally. It didn't help that I literally fell off of the ball trying to do the prone jacknifes. My arms gave out on me after 7 on set one, and after 4 on set two. THAT was embarassing. I was super sick yesterday with a sinus infection, but I have not noticed ANY soreness. Should I bump up the weights for workout B tonight, or just stick with the same amount, and see if I am sore in a few days?
  • HurrikaneHeather721
    Options
    So I did my first day of NROLFW on Monday. I felt like a fool! I watched myself in the mirror to make sure I was getting the form right, and all I could see was the basketball my stomach turned into when I did my squats. Then I was paranoid everyone was watching me. This was really hard for me mentally. It didn't help that I literally fell off of the ball trying to do the prone jacknifes. My arms gave out on me after 7 on set one, and after 4 on set two. THAT was embarassing. I was super sick yesterday with a sinus infection, but I have not noticed ANY soreness. Should I bump up the weights for workout B tonight, or just stick with the same amount, and see if I am sore in a few days?

I just wanted to comment that I did HORRIBLE on the prone jacknifes! My husband was CRACKING up! Until I made him try to do them and he fell of too. :tongue: Then we realized the ball was a bit deflated (and my husband made it worse) so I looked up an alternative online, which was basically mountain climbers. I am going to try to get my ball inflated tonight, so we will see what happens.

Also, I plan on bumping up my weights tonight and seeing how that goes because I have not noticed any soreness either.