Still reading book and not understanding

Options
I'm only on rule 16 and I am so confused about the book and its terms..Cardio isn't good? 1500 calories is not alot? I don't understand how you lose weight then lol. And i'm not even understanding what hes talking about with marco nutrients...Will it all start to make sense or do i need to start over? I feel like I'm in college reading a nutrition book with all these terms i don't know..I want to do this strength training but already i'm confused..and has what i've been doing(1500 cal a day, walk/running) for nothing? ah..i need some guidance,

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep reading. It is a competely different thought process than just "exercise more eat less". You need to look at it as fat loss, not weight loss. With weight loss, you lose muscle along with fat - with fat loss, you lose fat and hopefully maintain your muscle. Read it all the way thru at least once, if you're still struggling, read thru it again and come back and ask specific questions.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm only on rule 16 and I am so confused about the book and its terms..Cardio isn't good? 1500 calories is not alot? I don't understand how you lose weight then lol.

Well cardio isn't good for weight loss. That's what they're talking about. Cardio is good for being able to live your life (walk up stairs, ride a bike) and they do state that if you can't do these things then you need to fix that.

Eating low calories is not good. It doesn't fuel your body so it can perform it's basic functions and starts eating your muscles. Which is a bad, bad thing.

Have you done their calculation? I eat at the figure for lifting days and minus 300 so I have a small deficit. I'm currently eating 1600 calories. I'll probably be upping that soon too.
  • igoharder92
    Options
    No i haven't done their cal yet only MFP's..thats around 1500 something. I guess right now it's hard to wrap my head around cause all i know it work out more eat less! But I want to become a believer once I finish the book and start my journey. It's just hard to think that I need to eat MORE lol but I'm no expert I'll end up doing what the book says (once i understand it) It's just a whole different look on fat loss.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    Definitely read through one more time if you're still having trouble. The whole idea and science behind the book's recommendations is that you will burn more fat/calories by training hard and building strong muscles. But in order to build muscles, you need enough calories and proper nutrition. Losing fat and building muscle is going to give you the strong, lean look most people want, as opposed to eating little and doing crazy amounts of cardio with a focus on the number on the scale.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    No i haven't done their cal yet only MFP's..thats around 1500 something. I guess right now it's hard to wrap my head around cause all i know it work out more eat less! But I want to become a believer once I finish the book and start my journey. It's just hard to think that I need to eat MORE lol but I'm no expert I'll end up doing what the book says (once i understand it) It's just a whole different look on fat loss.

I really is a whole different outlook. I still have at least 10 lbs to lose, but am eating at maintenance instead of below that because I committed to following the book recommendation for at least one month then would re-evaluate. It's been almost one full month for me and I gained a few pounds initially (to be exptected) but am now down 1 lb from where I started and most days I'm actually over my maintenance calories because I'm so hungry. I really recommend following the recommendations for at least one month, even though it may be hard, then re-evaluating based on what's happening with your body.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm still reading the book and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this as well. I've played around with upping my cals in the past couple of months, but sometimes it's hard for me to net 1700 cals after eating back exercise calories. Of course, I'm still doing mostly cardio right now so I'm sure that'll change when I switch to more weights.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we just have to surrender and trust the process.

Good luck
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I echo what Yanicka says.

If you do what you've always done - you'll get what you've always gotten.

SOMETHING made you grab the book to "try something different". So, try it. As written. Just try it.
  • mstawnya
    Options
    You two are absolutely right. A little background and some questions for you- Right now, I exercise 5-6 days a week. I generally take a class at the Y (RIPPED, Turbokick, Step class, run a mile or 2, and lift some weights a couple of times each week (I lift somewhat heavy dumbbells, but haven't ventured to the racks or big bars yet).

This is my plan for the next couple of weeks-

M: lifting & run
    T-RIPPED class
    W-lifting & run
    TH-RIPPED class
    F-lifting & run
    S/S Off

M-step class
    T-lifting
    W-yoga/off
    TH-lifting
    F-turbokick
    S-lifting
    S-off

Here are my questions-
    Right now, my calories are set at 1700 and I eat back most, if not all of my exercise calories (I'm at a good weight, just looking for more muscle). Should I up my calories to the strenuous exercise calories each day? Like today, I've eaten 2352 calories, but burned 700ish cals at the gym which was a net of about 1600. When the book says I should eat 2206 calories after a strenuous workout, does that mean I should net that amount or eat that amount period without taking my exercise calories into account?
    How necessary are the rest days if I'm used to a pretty full schedule?

Thanks all! I'm nervous and excited about starting this program. Hoping to finish the book this weekend and jump into it head first on Monday.
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    You two are absolutely right. A little background and some questions for you- Right now, I exercise 5-6 days a week. I generally take a class at the Y (RIPPED, Turbokick, Step class, run a mile or 2, and lift some weights a couple of times each week (I lift somewhat heavy dumbbells, but haven't ventured to the racks or big bars yet).

This is my plan for the next couple of weeks-

M: lifting & run
    T-RIPPED class
    W-lifting & run
    TH-RIPPED class
    F-lifting & run
    S/S Off

M-step class
    T-lifting
    W-yoga/off
    TH-lifting
    F-turbokick
    S-lifting
    S-off

Here are my questions-
    Right now, my calories are set at 1700 and I eat back most, if not all of my exercise calories (I'm at a good weight, just looking for more muscle). Should I up my calories to the strenuous exercise calories each day? Like today, I've eaten 2352 calories, but burned 700ish cals at the gym which was a net of about 1600. When the book says I should eat 2206 calories after a strenuous workout, does that mean I should net that amount or eat that amount period without taking my exercise calories into account?
    How necessary are the rest days if I'm used to a pretty full schedule?

Thanks all! I'm nervous and excited about starting this program. Hoping to finish the book this weekend and jump into it head first on Monday.

If you want my honest opinion, I would cut way down on your exercise. Do lifting 3 times a week and light cardio once or twice a week. All the exercise you are doing has the exact oposit effect of what you try to do when doing strenght training.

I would also eat at the levels the book give you for rest days and lifting days. Forget about eating your exercise calories (for now!!!) but this imply that you reduce your cardio alot.

Do that for one month to 6 weeks, don't freak out when the scale goes up. After that, take a picture and see if you like what you see.
  • mstawnya
    Options
    Okay. I'm going to trust you. What do you consider light cardio? Is it okay to run 2 miles on lifting days (I'm thinking a 10 min. warmup and cooldown)?
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    Okay. I'm going to trust you. What do you consider light cardio? Is it okay to run 2 miles on lifting days (I'm thinking a 10 min. warmup and cooldown)?
    Better to do a 2 miles run the day you do not lift.I know that for me, days when Ilift, I can barely open the door of the gym and walk to my car. LOL
  • mstawnya
    Options
    Finished the book and have a new plan in place for the first week:
    M-run 2 miles
    T-lift
    W-fitness yoga, run 2 miles
    TH-lift
    F-run 2 miles
    S-lift
    S-1 mile walk

I hope it's not too much. If it is, I'll ease off for week 2. Just trying to work in my mileage for the week. If the weather cooperates, I think walks with the kids would suffice and be easier on my body.
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    Good plan. Let us know how it goes
  • mstawnya
    Options
    Day 1-ran a mile to warm up, did Workout A and ran another mile because I felt pretty good. Went light today and I know I can increase my weights next time, but my quads are crying!!!!!
  • mstawnya
    Options
    You weren't kidding about the cardio burnout! Day 5-ran 1.1 miles to warm up, Stage 1 Workout 1 for the 2nd time, hobbled to the treadmill and squeaked out .4 miles. I'm so tired! And what's funny is that I feel like I really stepped it up with the weights today, but I'm not as sore as I was after the first 2 lifting workouts. Just tired!