Identify your obstacles

Options
colorlessgreen
colorlessgreen Posts: 173 Member
Okay, fess up -- has anyone missed a workout? Or are there factors in your life that you know could throw a wrench in your plans? I want to hear about it! I know we will all have moments during the month where something will come up and we might miss a workout. I almost missed mine this morning because I couldn't get my DVD to work on my boyfriend's computer, but fortunately I found Workout One on YouTube! Whew!

Replies

• kelzpop
    kelzpop Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've spent a great deal of time the past couple of weeks traveling between my parents and my house, doing hours of yard work at both places. Those days are going to kill me, cause I honestly don't feel like doing it. I had planned to start yesterday, but I spent 5 hours in the car, did a 2 hour photo shoot and an hour of yard work at their house. By the time I got home I was exhausted. So I started today. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it through the summer. But my theory on the shred is, even if it takes me longer than 30 days... I'll still get results and have the gratification of finishing it at some point.
  • colorlessgreen
    Options
    That's a good attitude to take. Honestly, I think one of my challenges is all mental; I have a tendency to be very black-and-white and perfectionistic in my thinking. I worry that once I miss one workout, I'll think, "Well, I'm not gonna get it done in thirty days, so now I can skip tomorrow, too...."

One of my friends mentioned doubling up workouts to make up for missed days. I don't know if I could do that, but it'd be good motivation not to miss any days, haha!
  • sarahldee
    sarahldee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I missed Monday day four. I went to the gym at lunch time and it was so tough 3 or 4 times tougher than usual. Which made me decide to skip shred and bootcamp that evening. I did level 1 Tuesday am and level 2 in the evening. I feel better after having Monday evenings rest. I think it's important if you miss a day just to make sure start again right away the next day.

And for me work and other exercise are my obstacles but mainly the fact I can't get out of bed... I'm terrible at it I always have been! The best time to do shred would be before work but I haven't managed it yet!
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started a little early so missed day 7 for me which was Monday - I had a wedding reception to go to after work and just couldn't fit it in.
    In all honesty though I felt better for it when I did yesterdays, like I could push myself harder , esp on the push ups.
    I may make Monday my regular rest day - it will depend on how tough level 2 is and whether I feel like my body could benefit from the rest.
    I will either double up to make up for the missed one , or add it on at the end, I haven't decided yet !
  • kelzpop
    kelzpop Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I also discovered other obstacles while doing it today - the kids and dogs. Seriously dog - do you have to try and sniff my face when I'm doing crunches?! Yes, I know I'm in the floor and that usually means free reign for you. And the 15 month old kept walking up to me while I was doing jumping jacks and bouncing off my leg then falling down and getting mad. And push ups, the 4 year old thinks it is open season for piggy back rides. Pretty sure he will be repeating "dude, get off me" for about a week now. All I can say is I'm glad I had the curtains closed today, cause I'm sure my workout looked like a 3 ring circus.

I usually wait until the youngest goes down for a nap, but today I wanted that time to do some other stuff. Bad choice on my part!
  • LMiller81
    LMiller81 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a few other work outs that I really enjoy and don't want to 'loose' progress on those (running and yoga), so I'm thinking that I might take 1-2 days off the shred each week, but make sure that I do those others instead. Hopefully that will give my body a chance to recover (those side lunges w/ raises - YUCK) and keep up on the rest!
  • colorlessgreen
    Options
    I also discovered other obstacles while doing it today - the kids and dogs. Seriously dog - do you have to try and sniff my face when I'm doing crunches?! Yes, I know I'm in the floor and that usually means free reign for you. And the 15 month old kept walking up to me while I was doing jumping jacks and bouncing off my leg then falling down and getting mad. And push ups, the 4 year old thinks it is open season for piggy back rides. Pretty sure he will be repeating "dude, get off me" for about a week now. All I can say is I'm glad I had the curtains closed today, cause I'm sure my workout looked like a 3 ring circus.

I usually wait until the youngest goes down for a nap, but today I wanted that time to do some other stuff. Bad choice on my part!

Haha, that's hilarious! My best friend's dog likes to give kisses during crunches. :)

I'm impressed by everyone's flexibility with customizing the workout to their needs--it's nice to hear that others need to take a day off here and there, but still get back on track. I think just knowing that will help me if I ever need to take a day off.
  • Wottie72
    Wottie72 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I missed Saturday night so I thought hey thats a rest day, I aim to do it 6 days a week that way if one's missed its not the end of the world.

I wait until the kids have gone to bed as my 14 month old will most definately get in the way and my almost 4 & 5 year olds would be going is it finished yet? Thankfully dont have anyone to moan about me exercising in the evenings (the advantage of going through a divorce) so the telly is all mine.
  • sweetcaroline04
    Options
    I also discovered other obstacles while doing it today - the kids and dogs. Seriously dog - do you have to try and sniff my face when I'm doing crunches?! Yes, I know I'm in the floor and that usually means free reign for you.
    My doggie gives me kisses during crunches, too! I think he's confused
  • sweetcaroline04
    Options
    I've missed 2 days but like what's been said, I'm completing all 30 days even if it takes longer than 30 days
  • VannaB
    VannaB Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I missed day 2 but I've been planning to do 2 workouts in 1 day to try and make up for it.
    Planning to do it within level one but the that means I will have to do it soon and its hard enough getting the one in.
    Every night I say I will do the workout in the morning before work... but I can't bring myself to getting up any earlier than I have to.
    Morning work out means out of bed at 5:30ish...
    I wish I was a morning person.
    I'm hanging in though, making my way through the distractions... kids, dog, etc...
  • likemascaraonprince
    Options
    My kids are my obstacle, too. I have a 3 yr old, 2 yr old, and 5 month old. Today was the only day I fully skipped but some of my other work outs have been sub-par b/c of toddlers climbing on me or the baby dropped his teething ring! I'm planning to make up for today on Saturday.
  • Candida1983
    Candida1983 Posts: 188
    Options
    I have three kids and my two oldest were on spring break a couple of weeks back. They were gone for the whole week with their dad, but I used it as an excuse not to do it because my routine was off. I usually do my workout after I get the kids on the bus, but they weren't going to school so I blew it off. Then I was eating crap all week and being horrible, so I felt guilty and ashamed and didn't want to log my food. :ohwell: I got back on track but have been struggling with the same things, and I'm basically sabotaging myself. Hoping that I can get it together and get myself into a constant routine. I did try on a pair of pants that is one size smaller than my size and managed to fit into them today, so I'm really excited about that. I can use that as motivation. :smile: