OK Seriously, Protein Sources (preferably no powders)

Options
mwilson57
mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
I must admit, I got tired of scrolling through all the topics to see if this has already been posted, so....

Is anyone able to reach their protein goal without using protein powder/bars/shots/etc?

I just joined this group two days ago and I've struggled with getting enough protein, I'd prefer not to have to buy protein powder/supplements/etc. Can anyone suggest how to reach the right macro ratios without using protein powders?

Replies

• WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I must admit, I got tired of scrolling through all the topics to see if this has already been posted, so....

Is anyone able to reach their protein goal without using protein powder/bars/shots/etc?

I just joined this group two days ago and I've struggled with getting enough protein, I'd prefer not to have to buy protein powder/supplements/etc. Can anyone suggest how to reach the right macro ratios without using protein powders?

I'm curious too! On most days I can just barely reach 100 g and my goal has me at 136. I know lots of people like Greek yogurt for protein (I'm lactose intolerant). Nuts, chicken, peanut butter...that's all I know. I've been seriously contemplating getting some protein powder.
  • DoodleDaft
    Options
    I use protein powder at least once a day but try to eat a lot of other protein too, in addition to what's been mentioned what about tinned tuna for a snack, hummous, lentils, quinona, steak, eggs, bacon, beans and pulses, cheese?
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Really interested in this topic also.. I barely reach my target 1 day in 10.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you don't want to buy protein powder? I have a really hard time without it. I use Now Sports unflavored, unsweetened Whey Protein isolate. I also have their egg protein powder.

I actually crave my protein shakes - they're such a treat. My fave lately is 2 TBS ovaltine malt + 1/2 banana + little ice + unsweetened coconut or almond milk and a pinch of xantham gum. Yum!

Otherwise, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lots of chicken and egg whites are going to be some staples. Edamame, fish, lentils, beans. But the supplement powder makes it a lot easier, and probably cheaper too.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Whew, I am not hitting my high protein numbers and I am drinking shakes daily. I honestly can't fathom not drinking them to get in what I do...but some great sources..chicken, beef, fish, greek yogurt, nuts, eggs, tuna, beans to name some high protein sources.