Deadlifts less than 95#

Options
sleepytexan
sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
Hi,

You do have to start out deadlifting less than 95#, right?

My gym does not have all plates at 17", so I'm currently deadlifting 75# using small 10 and 5# plates. (just finished 5th workout using NROL4W).

So, how do you deadlift using plates smaller than 17"? Do you stack 1 or 2 plates flat on the floor on each side and rest the barbell on them? I stacked plates flat on the floor, but it is so awkward putting the bar back down; it rolls and sometimes falls off the stacked plates.

Is there a secret to this, or am I underestimating what I could do? Do I go right up to using 2 25# plates on the bar?

thanks.

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie myself, but I don't think there's any set max weight to start with, but starting with a comfortable weight to keep form good is advisable. Anybody else want to add to this?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Right, the problem is logistics with deadlifts. The 17" plates make the barbell the correct height from the ground, but they are 25# each, so that would be a 95# lift.

My gym's lighter plates are smaller, therefore if you have 10s on there, the barbell is too low to the floor, so I'm wondering about how people do the flat plates stacked underneath to lift the barbell up to correct height.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options
    Could you start with a lighter weight bar? I've seen bars that only weigh15 lbs, plus the (2)25 lb plates would only be 65#, maybe ask at your gym if they have the lighter bars available?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Could you start with a lighter weight bar? I've seen bars that only weigh15 lbs, plus the (2)25 lb plates would only be 65#, maybe ask at your gym if they have the lighter bars available?

That would be a great idea, thanks. Unfortunately, we only have the 45# Olympic bars.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    Options
    Well, I'm out of ideas. The place where I went for the last three months had 3 different bar weights, but they looked exactly the same until you picked them up. So much so that they had them marked with colored tape, a different color for the 15, 30, and 45 lb bars. You could do the rack lift instead of the dead lift, maybe, if they have the racks somplace that you can work.

This group is kind of quiet. I just joined and really should be taking advice more than giving it, but I didn't see anybody else speaking up.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Well, I'm out of ideas. The place where I went for the last three months had 3 different bar weights, but they looked exactly the same until you picked them up. So much so that they had them marked with colored tape, a different color for the 15, 30, and 45 lb bars. You could do the rack lift instead of the dead lift, maybe, if they have the racks somplace that you can work.

This group is kind of quiet. I just joined and really should be taking advice more than giving it, but I didn't see anybody else speaking up.

thanks for your thoughts. Ya this gym only has Olympic barbells in the weight room, except for a 3D Smith machine, and while I initially started using it, I have since learned that a fixed bar is not the way to go.

Anyway, I posted this on another thread (thought I saw you on that one too?) and did get lots of good suggestions, such as towels on the plates, using the risers for a reebok step, foam blocks. I think maybe the people who read this thread may have already seen the other answers posted, or perhaps they don't do heavy lifting and didn't understand what I was talking about.

thanks though!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My gym's lighter plates are smaller, therefore if you have 10s on there, the barbell is too low to the floor, so I'm wondering about how people do the flat plates stacked underneath to lift the barbell up to correct height.

Yes you use plates underneath to adjust the height so that you get the same motion, technique and muscle memory until you're strong enough to do 95. If it takes you a few minutes to get a couple large plates stacked so you're stable, who cares?

I'm actually only using the bar itself right now (just started toay) and I got mine on a set of recycling bins for an approximation of the height. Doesn't look very powerful but it works for me. I'll probably add weights by my 2nd and 3rd workout. I did STRICTLY form today and was just getting used to the equipment. Truth be told I *could* probably do 95 if I really tried but I'm working past my intimidation still and I have a background of low back trouble so I'm playing it super safe.

I'm doing Starting Strength btw. Stick with the barbells/free weights, they're so much better because they force your body to use its own muscles to balance itself!
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do what you want to get comfortable but most likely if you are doing a program like starting strength, you'll be at or past 95 in no time!
  • jodidlyO
    Options
    You can also start with dumb bells. It won't be long before you can lift more than 95#