Hello - intro

Options
Juneaux12
Juneaux12 Posts: 22 Member
I just joined this group because I am a binge eater.

I just turned 33, and I am so tired of fighting this battle over and over without any positive results. I wake up
each day with resolve to do better that day, to not overeat or binge, and to stay within my calorie range.
Each day I fail. Well, the majority of the days I fail. I work out almost every day so that adds more calories that I can
consume, but I always end up overconsuming by the end of the day. I usually consume handfuls of bread products,
white flour, chocolate, or when there is nothing else in the house, I eat too much cheese. Mostly, my poison of choice is carbs.

I'm not really sure why I do this. I have a good life, a happy family and marriage, and I'm generally a happy person.
It is like my dirty secret that I sneak away and eat handfuls of crackers, bread or chocolate candy out of my children's Easter baskets. Usually doing a very low carb diet helps me control my urges, but I am miserable on those diets. I feel
horrible and the weight comes off - but slams back on before I can put the ice cream down when I slip up (which is
inevitable).

Feeling very sheepish and low today. I have to start somewhere. I have been on MFP for a while now, almost a year I think
off and on, but every week. I really need to get control of this!

Replies

• greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! You've come to the right place! I can relate to what you wrote. Carbs are addictive (highly processed especially) and I think they're most of our food (drug) of choice.

This group is very helpful, especially when I post regularly. I'm glad you're here!
  • Juneaux12
    Juneaux12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It certainly helps to have a place to go where people won't think I'm nuts for my eating habits.
  • 1leahsb
    1leahsb Posts: 12
    Options
    Nice to meet you! When I joined a couple months ago it was just nice to see I wasn't the only person out there who did this. As for the being a generally happy person, makes me think of a book I'm reading that you might be interested in. It's called Brain over Binge. Hasn't helped me so far but I like it. Good luck on your journey!
  • irvinedbs
    irvinedbs Posts: 30
    Options
    Hello there!

I've been in denial for a few years about my eating habits. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, but once I hit 30 my metabolism slowed down and my eating didn't. I seem to eat when I'm bored or when I've had a bad day in work, so it must be down to me suppressing how I'm feeling. Normally I'm a really positive person and rather upbeat, but when it comes to food I just can't seem to put the fork down!

One of the worst things about it, is the fact that I don't even get to take my time and enjoy the food. I don't taste it. It's just stuffed down me as quickly as possible. I am good for a week or 2 then all hell breaks loose. Literally. I can gain about 8lbs in a few days when I'm in the zone. I don't feel like I'm missing out on any foods when I'm being good as will have a nice low fat hot chocolate in the evenings (so I don't buy the biggest bar in the supermarket) or a slice of cheese (instead of the block). When I'm good, I log my food, when I'm not I don't. Tried mini binge logging once and it depressed me that much that I ate a cheesecake, so I don't do it now!

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys and hearing how you cope with things!

:bigsmile: x D
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you! When I joined a couple months ago it was just nice to see I wasn't the only person out there who did this. As for the being a generally happy person, makes me think of a book I'm reading that you might be interested in. It's called Brain over Binge. Hasn't helped me so far but I like it. Good luck on your journey!

I'm going to have to check out this book. I'm a binge eater. for the most part I have it under control, but then it will rear it's ugly head again...usually in the form of peanut butter toast. Though melted cheese on tortillas is another favorite binge food. I'll end up doubled over in bed, debating going to the ER it hurts so bad. :-(

Nice to meet you all. I just heard about this group today and hope it will give me the support I need.