Which exercises work for you?

Options
fourluvbugs
fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
Right now I'm running the C25K program to work up to running further and getting higher burns. I've also read a lot about weight lifting and definitely plan to start some as soon as my husband gets our weights back. I know we can't completely change our shape, but I really would love to have a smaller tummy and more definition in my waist once I get some of this fat off.

Have you found any exercise that you think helps with our trouble areas?

Replies

• AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I've 6 inches in my waist but I still have a long way to go to get to just the bare minimum of what is considered a healthy waist size.

I've been running and doing various Jillian Michaels dvds. I started P90X two months ago.
  • icklecyberfairy
    icklecyberfairy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I ran for a long time but really saw very little difference in my middle. My arms and legs got thinner and more muscular. ATM I am on day 4 of the 30day shred. So fingers crossed.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have been doing cardio - elliptical, treadmill, bike, or running outside - since November and lifting weights regularly. Nothing heavy. I discovered through reading that lower weight with higher repetitions is better for muscle (when one is dealing with a lot of fat which I was).

With my belly, it's a struggle. It's certainly smaller, my waist is slightly more defined now, but I know I need more. I decided to take up the 30 day shred again (haven't done it in a few years...).

Upon the suggestion from my husband, I'm doing crunches too and noticing it at least make my belly FEEL flatter, lol!
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 30 Day Shred.. I'm on Level 2 right now!

I've had some success also with just dancing around like a maniac, or doing some Zumba videos on YouTube. =]

My favorite machine at the gym is the Arc Trainer... so I like to do that when I can.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ive done alot of cardio and very little strength training and have lost a considerable amount in my legs and butt grrrrr. i know there has been progress in my stomach and arms too but its barely noticible. This week i decided to do more strength training and less cardio. im not sure if that will help any but its worth a shot
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    I was doing the 30day shred until I got sick these past few weeks. I lost most of the inches off my waist by doing that and abdominal twists with weights. Now that I'm better I'm hoping to up the ab twists weights and include more lifting.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Abdominal twists! That's awesome, I'm going to go look that up right now :).

Brenda - strength training is definitely necessary! :)
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been doing mainly all cardio (the Arc trainer is also my fave). Once in a while I will do weights if I am in the mood. I have noticed the lower "pooch" is shrinking FINALLY! I haven't seen much of a difference there until recently. But I think I need to start doing some weights again. I do a class at my gym called Body Pump that is awesome. It works the entire body and it has great music. Definately know when I had a good workout after when going down the stairs to leave and it feels as though my legs are going to give out. I recommend it to those of you who have the option to try it and want to do weights but not really sure what to do or not too excited about it.
    Quietasariot- If you do abdominal twists with a bar (on your neck and arms draped up over it), please pay special attention to your neck. One of the first times that I did them, though I was many years younger than I am now, I pulled my neck muscles pretty bad. They really help when done correctly, I most definately agree. :)
  • JacksonMomto3
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred from 2/15-3/23 I lost 6 inches overall, no pounds lost.

I started Ripped in 30 on 3/26; slacked off last week (Week 2) though, but did the halfway measurements/weigh in check, and I have lost 2 inches off my waist and 3lbs so far.

My kids are on Spring Break this week, so I am not going to do Week 3 of Ripped until they go back to school, so I am going to walk my dog in the evenings (1.6 mile walk) to get more cardio in me and see if that will help on the scale.

Once I am done with Ripped, I will start the ab workout, Jillian has.
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    all i do is walk. 2-3 miles, 3-4 times a week. it takes anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour and i do it at 4am when the neighborhood is dark and quiet and only 80 degrees (it's over 100 daily here at peak hours). i don't do aggressive, high impact routines or "feel the burn" exercises because i know myself. i'll hit it hard for a few weeks, then burn out and do nothing.

since i started walking 9 weeks ago, i have lost 25 lbs. i'm down 4 inches in my bust, 10.5 inches in my waist and 3 inches in my hips.

regarding diet, i allow myself anything i want, anything, in the produce department. and to keep it interesting, each time i go, i buy something i've never tried or heard of. just one. a lychee, a rambutan, tamarind, jicama - that's my special treat, the "opportunity" to experience something new, even if i end up not liking how it tastes. if it doesn't come out of the produce department, i don't eat it.

buckets of fruits/veggies/tofu and walking a few miles every other day is all i've done and my "problem spots" are solving themselves. i barely break a sweat, so it's easy for me to stick with longterm!