Eating back exercise cals

Options
aotto87
aotto87 Posts: 50 Member
I know this topic has been beaten to a pulp. I read all about "what you should do"...but I want to hear what people are actually doing, and what has worked best for them.

As long as you are calculating your activity correctly when coming up with your TDEE (which includes your exercise "lifestyle")...what number are you starting to eat back your calories? I have heard some people say anything greater than 450...

Please let me know your opinions on the matter...

Thanks in advance!!! :D

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I know this topic has been beaten to a pulp. I read all about "what you should do"...but I want to hear what people are actually doing, and what has worked best for them.

As long as you are calculating your activity correctly when coming up with your TDEE (which includes your exercise "lifestyle")...what number are you starting to eat back your calories? I have heard some people say anything greater than 450...

Please let me know your opinions on the matter...

Thanks in advance!!! :D

You must calculate your TDEE - 15% and know your BMR...the difference between the two is the amount that you start eating back once you have burned over the difference...

ie... cut 1800 BMR 1500 that means you would start eating back if you burn over 300 calories.

You never want to net less than BMR. And I also say if you have that burn and you are still hungry when you net BMR it won't hurt to eat more protein and net closer to your cut...
  • aotto87
    aotto87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Got it! Thanks so much!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM so i know what I burn, but to make it simple to follow my TDEE-15% what if i don't enter in those exercise burns - or enter them at 0 cal's burned in MFP.

The calculation is supposed to include in a certain deficit percentage AND your exercise right? So if i chose moderate level activity in my calculations, should i really eat the calories I burned back?

Or only if i do like a 10k where i burn 1000 calories in a day?
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am still so confused. I am losing and I can see a difference in my body (I do New rules of lifting for women). However, I am supposed to be consuming 1690 cals on non work out days. I just added in my cardio and it says I have 2157 left to eat for the day, and thats after breakfast. I feel like a pig and I am not doing the right thing when I see that number. Am I really supposed to eat that much? Today is my lifting day and I am also supposed to up that by 200 cals because of the lifting. I know my protein shake afterwords will take care of that, but I still have that 2157 to eat today... Should I really????
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I am still so confused. I am losing and I can see a difference in my body (I do New rules of lifting for women). However, I am supposed to be consuming 1690 cals on non work out days. I just added in my cardio and it says I have 2157 left to eat for the day, and thats after breakfast. I feel like a pig and I am not doing the right thing when I see that number. Am I really supposed to eat that much? Today is my lifting day and I am also supposed to up that by 200 cals because of the lifting. I know my protein shake afterwords will take care of that, but I still have that 2157 to eat today... Should I really????

I know 2157 sounds like a big number- but in reality it isn't that large. I eat 2500 minimum every day and have been losing inches right and left and I'm mostly sedentary. I have friends who are 5'2 125lbs who routinely eat 3000 a day and they aren't packing it on.

Perhaps it would soothe your mind to go up slowly- add a few hundred a week- keep the shock to a minimum and 'ease into the pool' as it were :) Cutting down on cardio can ease us into eating more as well. If you love doing cardio then be prepared to eat- if you're doing it because that's how 'people lose weight' then stop or slow way back. You will still lose weight.

If MFP says your NET is below your BMR then yep- keep eating! If you keep it consistently fed, your body will reward you and thank you profusely lol

Hope that helps :)
  • juicemoogan
    Options
    Just want to make sure im doing this right..

Heres my #'s
    TDEE - 2685
    BMR - 1650
    TDEE with 15% cut - 2282

Typically Im eating between 1800 - 2200 cals a day.

Lately i have started Thai boxing. My classes are 2 hours long and burn 1045 calories - 3 - 5 times a week.
    My activity level is set at moderate.

On these days, how much should i be eating - because my net cal's are super low after that.

Its been about 2 weeks that ive been eating more. i went up about 3 lbs, but I've lost 2 inches around my chest, and 1.5 off my belly..

Help is appreciated.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Heres my #'s
    TDEE - 2685
    BMR - 1650
    TDEE with 15% cut - 2282

Lately i have started Thai boxing. My classes are 2 hours long and burn 1045 calories - 3 - 5 times a week.

On these days, how much should i be eating - because my net cal's are super low after that.

Its been about 2 weeks that ive been eating more. i went up about 3 lbs, but I've lost 2 inches around my chest, and 1.5 off my belly..

Help is appreciated.

You want to NET at least your BMR number.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Heres my #'s
    TDEE - 2685
    BMR - 1650
    TDEE with 15% cut - 2282

Help is appreciated.

You want to NET at least your BMR number.

Awesome on the inches!!!
  • juicemoogan
    Options
    Thanks for your Help!! :)