Half Marathon Training Advice!!

Options
maura1110
maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
I have been training hard for my first half marathon on April 21st (so about 2.5 more weeks until race day). I have been following my training plan and completed an 11-mile long run last week (my longest distance so far). I felt a lot of muscle soreness after that because I did a 10 mile run only 2 days before, so I took 5 days off before running again.

Then last night, I did a regular 6 mile run. I'm very comfortable with this distance, did not push myself at all or feel any pain/discomfort during or after my run.

Then this morning when I woke up, my right knee was in so much pain! It hurts to walk! It almost feels like its in the back of my knee and it hurts when I straighten my leg out or walk. It's not swollen or anything.

It's so weird because I felt no pain during or immediately after the run but woke up with pain the following day. Has this happened to anyone, or does anyone have any idea what could have happened? Also, can I afford to take a few days off from training when I just took 5 days off before this AND my race is less than 3 weeks away? Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, I have no idea what to do. Thanks!

Replies

• onlyhalfcrazy
    onlyhalfcrazy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am also a runner and have had a few injury issues. The way i look at it is running is something i want to do long term so I need to take care of these injuries so they dont put me out of the game prematurely. Get it checked out. If you have a good doctor they will give you good advice that will pay off in the long run. Good luck.
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Are you still in pain ?

What is the condition of your shoes ? Worn out shoes can cause knee and hip pain. I hope you iced that knee area and have been resting. Your body is also telling you to get rest. Your race will be fine if you take a few extra days off. If it is not better by the end of the weekend then get to your Doctor to check it out.

Good luck and let me know how it is going.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Doesnt sound like you were following a plan. You would never run a 10 miler..then an 11 miler within days.
    Should have been 1 long run once a week...from 6 to 8 to 10 to 12...with intervals of 5, 7, 9 in between on the other weeks. You are supposed to now be in taper.....
    Rest!