A lot to lose..

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
I have been stalled on my weight loss since November. I have lost inches but only about 5 pounds in 5 months. I'm 5'11", and 240 pounds. I have lost 27 pounds since July and want to lose about 60 more (possible additional after that). I notice most of you have less than 20 pounds to lose. I guess I'm wondering if I'm in the right place. Does this work for those of us that aren't close to goal? (I searched 12 pages for similar question but couldn't find anything.)

Replies

• paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have about 40 pounds to lose, so I am hoping so too!!! I discussed this plan with my trainer yesterday and he seems to think it will, with weight lifting 3 times a week and spin class 2 times per week and eating 1950 calories a day! We'll see!!!!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I have about 40 pounds to lose!! I've been eating more for the last 3 weeks, going on my 4th week. I feel great and so much stronger. I haven't weighed myself in the last week (I have a love/hate relationship with my scale) but my clothes definitely feel looser. I'll be doing my measurements this weekend!
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wonder this too.
  • SARBelgians
    SARBelgians Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been stalled on my weight loss since November. I have lost inches but only about 5 pounds in 5 months. I'm 5'11", and 240 pounds. I have lost 27 pounds since July and want to lose about 60 more (possible additional after that). I notice most of you have less than 20 pounds to lose. I guess I'm wondering if I'm in the right place. Does this work for those of us that aren't close to goal? (I searched 12 pages for similar question but couldn't find anything.)

Don't get to hard on yourself....you are losing inches...that is a WIN!

I started at 252, currently 232. I've had good weeks and bad weeks...gains, no losses, slight loss. I found the best thing for me is drink lots of water (10+ glasses), eat back most of my exercise calories, net between 1450-1800 calories. I try to net toward 1600-1800 on most days. I have 1-3 spike days a month. I changed my macros to carbs to 40%, 30% protein & 30% fat. MFP has it really carb heavy in their default programming. I usually do walking as my cardio....occassionally JM videos.

I'm 5'8", 34 and somewhat active...sort of.

Friend me if you'd like!

Jillian

15449148.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's actually BEST for a person w/a lot to lose. Think about it. The more you have to lose, the longer you will have to eat at deficit. The longer you eat at deficit, you risk hitting a plateau. When people hit plateaus, what do they typically do? Go further into deficit. It's a slippery slope, and, especially if you started off hardly eating anything, you can't go any further down,w/o starving. If you do a metabolism reset, or at the very least start w/a reasonable deficit, you have much more leeway on your journey. A person starting from a higher deficit has the options of being able to lower cals when hitting a plateau, if they so desire, or better still, planning ahead, and including a "maintenance" week ever so often to keep their bodies remembering exactly what maintenance is, and thus avoiding a plateau. Makes the journey a much more pleasurable experience when weight loss is looked at w/long term goals, versus "let me slash as many cals as I can so that I can get the weight off faster". It really just doesn't work that way. There's a reason why "The Biggest Loser" only runs for 16 weeks (or however long). It's only a short term solution, not really something you can keep up for life.

Some recommended reading...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/why-eating-less-and-exercising-more-can-backfire-203395

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/the-starvation-experiment-208077

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/faq-how-exactly-do-i-go-about-eating-more-200576

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/31prvrbs/view/faq-finding-true-maintenance-200567
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

*waves* HI! :D

I'm 5'6 and 260lbs and I'm aiming to get down around 175 or so. I want to be LadyBuff :)

I can tell you yes, this does work for us larger women. I'm only 5'6 but built like an amazon- people often mistake me for 5'10 lol This absolutely works for us too- Kiki gave you some awesome links so I won't double on the info because she knows tons more than I do- just wanted to let you know from a personal perspective that yes- it does work!

Also- I'm not angry, crabby, exhausted, lethargic or as moody as I was on starvation diets. I workout and still have energy for tons more stuff and it doesn't feel so stressful.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I was just a little concerned as I felt like the minority :blushing: I don't have time to read the links now (I'm working) but will check them out later today!
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have 44 more to my first goal and then the last 15 to lose. So 59 total! I am 5'6 also. I was on a 1540 cal a day diet and working out 5-6 times a week. Intense cardio and strength training. All went well and then has been at a standstill for over a month no inches no pounds. I always kind of had an idea that I should be eating more but of course that went against everything we are always told. I am looking forward to seeing progress again.

I Started Turbo Fire and did the 5 day inferno plan which ended a week ago. I've been eating more since. I feel a lot better. I am sleeping better. I enjoy not feeling deprived or feeling how to work something into my day's worth of food without going over a small calorie amount.

Any of you ladies feel free to friend me. Its nice to see others on the same journey :smile:
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Snubbleup
    Snubbleup Posts: 66
    Options
    I've been wondering about this, too. I have about 70 pounds to lose and I was stalled for about 4 weeks but after increasing my calories I've started to lose again (slowly). I'm a newbie to exercise and I'm working toward making myself stronger so I can do more and have more energy.
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    Hi there!

I have 114 pounds to loose... I think you are at the righ place, because you will loose pounds for ever :)

Welcome!!!
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've still got 100-110 pounds to go to hit my goal of 160-170. I'm 5'9 and just recently started. I think it will be much easier to reduce my calories from 2600 than from 1600 to keep the weight loss going as I lose weight.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. :)
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I am about 70-80 away from goal, and yes so far eating way more has finally been getting the pounds off. I struggled for a good 4 weeks eating at BMR and nothing was going down, only up. This week I jumped to TDEE-15% and the weight has flown off so far. I have lost the 2 pounds I gained while "resetting" and an additional 2 more so far.. :) I am definitely no longer eating less than I should be