My story

Options
Hello!
I started my weight loss journey about 7 months ago. So far with diet and exercise I've lost about 5lbs.
I was diagnosed with an enlarged pituitary gland and high prolactin about 1 year ago. It has made me gain quite a lot of weight very quickly and made it very difficult to take it off. I'm hoping to start meds soon to lower my prolactin levels although I know from previous experience that the meds can make you pretty sick for a while.
As far as weight loss goes this site has been very helpful, I also follow Ayurveda which you should definately check out. It's a wonderful approach to not only eating better, but also exercising, reducing stress, and helping to manage the anxiety that can arise with having pituitary problems.
I'm hoping people who join this group will find a supportive and enjoyable atmosphere to help with their weight loss.
:heart:

Replies

• shellbee381
    Options
    Hi...I'm so glad I finally found someone else who has a similar disorder as me! Not that its good but at least we can support each other. I have a thickened pituitary stem that has caused me to have Diabetes Insipidus as well as elevated prolactin level. At first I lost 10 lbs in a month but now that Im taking medication for the Insipidus I GAINED 15 plus and cant seem to budge any more than 4 lbs. I'm stressed and sad that Im never gonna lose this weight! I would like to add you as a friend and maybe compare food diarys and exercise. Maybe I am not exercising enough but its so hard when Im always so tired. Thanks for listenign and sharing!
  • borpy
    borpy Posts: 38
    Options
    I had a similar problem, last year I started bromocriptine and I gained 44lbs in two months and I'm still trying to work it off. My doctor told me that for people with high prolactin you need to work out at least 3 times as much as people with normal levels. My levels are still very high( I went off the bromocriptine, but I am going to try again). my doctor has said that eventually the meds will even things out but you have to listen to your body and make sure.
    Ask your doctor if weight gain is a common side deffect, if so, how long does the side effect last? And is it worth it to stay on this medication, or should you try a new one.
    I know for me in order to lose weight I can't exercise too strenously, steady even walking for longer amounts of time can be better becasuse our metabolism is not the same. going for a run for an hour is not as helpful as walking for two hours. Our bodies fires are a little slower to burn fuel.
    I also try to stay away from meat and dairy, the hormones in meat and dairy products can make your imbalance worse, especially when you've just started medication and your body is in flux trying to normalize. Try not to eat too much soy either as it can also mess with your hormones.
    And don't try to mame chamges all at once, your body and your mind need time to adjust to each change, going slow means maintaining your new healthy life.
    I hope some of this is helpful.
  • shellbee381
    Options
    Thanks for the information...I am going to have to change my diet quite a bit I guess (carbs are my life!) I guess more fish and veggies would work? And more nice long walks ....my dogs will love me for that! Any recipes or meal ideas would be great if you have any. Good luck to you also on finding the right mix of meds.