• oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    aryastark8 wrote: »
    I read three great books recently (all different genres):
    -"Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese - is one of my favorites now
    -"Big little lies" by Liane Moriatry
    -"The Host" by Stephanie Meyer

What did you like especially about The Host? To me it felt almost like part 2 of a trilogy, a lot of wandering around and biding their time until finally the book was over. I liked the end but skipped the whole middle part. :disagree:

• aryastark8
    aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    oORosadaOo wrote: »
    I read three great books recently (all different genres):
    -"Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese - is one of my favorites now
    -"Big little lies" by Liane Moriatry
    -"The Host" by Stephanie Meyer

What did you like especially about The Host? To me it felt almost like part 2 of a trilogy, a lot of wandering around and biding their time until finally the book was over. I liked the end but skipped the whole middle part. :disagree:

I was actually a bit disappointed by the ending, because it felt like an unnaturally forced happy ending. Maybe it should have ended with Wanda dying. There were several things I liked about this book. First, the whole setting was quite amazing: I was fascinated right from the first page (usually it takes me awhile to "get into" the book, and the first few pages are rarely gripping - but not in this case). There were many very emotional moments I enjoyed :smiley:. There was also this impossible situation of 2 couples, with 2 women in the same body, and many interesting ethical and philosophical questions: like what makes you you, can you fall in love with a "soul" regardless of the body? Can you fall in love with a soul of an alien? What would have happened if Wanda was in a different body (say of an older woman)? What is the right solution to this whole situation? There is also this aspect that we sometimes don't empathize with people we perceive as different (like the souls didn't quite empathize with humans at the beginning, and vice versa), but once we get to know them better, we all have something in common (and it was quite amazing that this happened, seeing the situation). Maybe the book was a bit longer than it should have been, but I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down.
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you liked The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, you might want to check out "Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubin.

The best thing that I finished recently was Cress by Melissa Meyer - it's the 3rd of 4 and Ms. Meyer has matured into a better writer.

I'm currently listening to another one I anticipate being one of my favorite books this year Blue Lily Lily Blue (The Raven Boys Book 3). If you haven't read this series yet, I highly recommend the audiobook version
  • oORosadaOo
    Options
    I was actually a bit disappointed by the ending, because it felt like an unnaturally forced happy ending. Maybe it should have ended with Wanda dying. There were several things I liked about this book. First, the whole setting was quite amazing: I was fascinated right from the first page (usually it takes me awhile to "get into" the book, and the first few pages are rarely gripping - but not in this case). There were many very emotional moments I enjoyed :smiley:. There was also this impossible situation of 2 couples, with 2 women in the same body, and many interesting ethical and philosophical questions: like what makes you you, can you fall in love with a "soul" regardless of the body? Can you fall in love with a soul of an alien? What would have happened if Wanda was in a different body (say of an older woman)? What is the right solution to this whole situation? There is also this aspect that we sometimes don't empathize with people we perceive as different (like the souls didn't quite empathize with humans at the beginning, and vice versa), but once we get to know them better, we all have something in common (and it was quite amazing that this happened, seeing the situation). Maybe the book was a bit longer than it should have been, but I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down.

I wish there was a like button for this comment! :smile:

• Agatefairy
    Agatefairy Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel by Neil Gaiman

Has anyone read "The Shining Girls" by Lauren Beukes?
  • imarockstarxoxo
    Options
    "The Art of Racing in the Rain" I forget the author's name, but it's an amazing book, especially if you are a dog lover. It's a story that is portrayed through the eyes of a dog and you experience life with his family throughout his life.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here.
    This year has been an odd one for me. Many books were rather so-so. I enjoyed them (some quite a bit) but they didn't wow me in any way.
    The last really good book I read was back in July when I read Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland. That was a really good read.
  • oORosadaOo
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just finished Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen, and it was fantastic!

Like her others (Garden Spells, The Sugar Queen) it's full of magic (similar to Chocolat by Joanne Harris) and lovable characters. The author's affection for her characters oozes from every page. I must find her other books! :heart:
  • KiraJade88
    Options
    The Paradise War by Stephen Lawhead. I couldn't put it down, and immediately went and bought the sequel. ^_^
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The last book that kept me completely mesmerized in the OMG-what-the-hell-is-going-on mode was "One Step Too Far" by Tina Seskis. Total page-turner, highly recommended.
  • oORosadaOo
    Options
    I just finished Popular by Maya van Wagenen and it was fantastic! Not at all only for children or YA.
  • martrhod
    martrhod Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just read one of the most amazing books. It's called Moloka'i by Alan Brennert.

It's about a 7 year old Hawaiian girl in the 1890s who is diagnosed with leprosy and exiled to a separate island away from her family, friends, life in Honolulu. I HIGHLY recommend it. I LOVED it. It will definitely be a book I return to read over and over.

• martrhod
    Options
    I also read this book and loved it. Definitely recommend. I'd love to visit this place. Last time I checked there was still a survivor there who gave tours.
  • martrhod
    Options
    mwazwi wrote: »
    I really loved Ken's Book "Pillars of The Earth." Couldn't put it down.
    I'll have to add the one you mentioned to my Reading List.
    "A Dangerous Fortune" by Ken Follett.

I haven't found anything from him that I haven't enjoyed. :wink:

• martrhod
    Options
    I loved this book too! I read it about 25 years ago and it still stays with me. I read the sequel recently but did not enjoy it as much.
  • martrhod
    Options
    finchest wrote: »
    What's the last great book you read -- other than the Hunger Games?

The kind of book that you couldn't put down, or that you wanted to recommend to every person you know?

It's ok if it was a long time ago! GREAT books are hard to come by :)

For me, it was probably "The Book Thief" by Marcus Zusak or "City of Thieves" by David Benioff -- both the kind of books I would recommend to anyone. (Similar titles merely a coincidence!)
    I also really loved "Theophilus North" by Thornton Wilder, but I'd recommend that to someone who already loves and appreciates classics.

Here are some of my most favorites--ones that I want to recommend to everyone.
    "A Woman in Amber" true story of a girl from Latvia during WWII.
    "Lost Horizon" I re-read this every once in a while.
    "The Glass Castle"
    "Pillars of the Earth"
    "Gone With the Wind"
  • oORosadaOo
    Options
    martrhod wrote: »
    I also read this book and loved it. Definitely recommend. I'd love to visit this place. Last time I checked there was still a survivor there who gave tours.

Thank you both for the recommendation, I put it on my list of books to read! Have you read Shark Dialogues by Kiana Davenport? Fantastic book!
  • mazed13
    mazed13 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    "A Dangerous Fortune" by Ken Follett.

I haven't found anything from him that I haven't enjoyed. :wink:

Ken Follett's books are great, just finished the 3 book series "Fall of Giants", "Winter of the World", and "Edge of Eternity".

A few others I'd recommend: "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins
    "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr
    "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TFIOS was truly an amazing book.