Uggghhh

Options
Victoria2448
Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
My tournament is next weekend and my right thumb is sprained!!!:mad:

Not sure how I will ge through this....Just had to vent a bit.

Replies

• jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Tape it up and take lots of Ibuprofen?
  • Victoria2448
    Options

That's the plan...it's tough to do weapons and techniques when yur thumb hurts. I really don't want it to become chronic injury.
  • jfinnivan
    Options
    I understand. I'm testing for my third degree next month (pre-test in two weeks), and I pulled a muscle in my leg. It's now become a race to heal the injury before the test. I've been actively preparing for this test for over a year, and I can't believe I got this injury now. The worse part is, I don't know how it happened.
    Good luck with your thumb!
  • Victoria2448
    Options
    I understand. I'm testing for my third degree next month (pre-test in two weeks), and I pulled a muscle in my leg. It's now become a race to heal the injury before the test. I've been actively preparing for this test for over a year, and I can't believe I got this injury now. The worse part is, I don't know how it happened.
    Good luck with your thumb!

Oh I am sorry...I know that feeling all too well. Is it a hamstring? Those take so long to heal. Have you tried going to a sports med qualified deep tissue massuese...that can do wonders!
    I am also fighting an IT band issue...among others..LOL
  • jfinnivan
    Options
    It's not a hamstring. It's a muscle in the inner thigh of my left leg. It's really an odd injury. I can do lots of activities, like elliptical and spinning without pain. I can walk, but as soon as I break into a trot, the pain gets pretty intense. It seems to be a single muscle that is injured. I was taking it easy in class last night, then we did some loose sparring, and I instinctively threw a kick that was unbelievably painful. I need to increase my use of heat and anti-inflammatories to see how fast I can heal it.
  • Victoria2448
    Options
    That does sound painful..I would definitely look into a good deep tissue massage. Also foam rolling helps alot.
  • jfinnivan
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think we have a foam roll at my house. I'll give it a try.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It's not a hamstring. It's a muscle in the inner thigh of my left leg. It's really an odd injury. I can do lots of activities, like elliptical and spinning without pain. I can walk, but as soon as I break into a trot, the pain gets pretty intense. It seems to be a single muscle that is injured. I was taking it easy in class last night, then we did some loose sparring, and I instinctively threw a kick that was unbelievably painful. I need to increase my use of heat and anti-inflammatories to see how fast I can heal it.

I know you won't like me for this, but doing friction massage on it across the fribres (so, as if you were going to draw a line around the circumference of your knee) of the muscle will help align scar tissue that's developing

If it isn't forced to align properly it can heal in odd directions and cause pain when its pulled by muscle contractions

- you may want someone else to do this massage for you though. I've studied these things and can do them on others, but am still not game to do it on my own injuries... :laugh:
  • jfinnivan
    Options
    Based on your post, I'm looking into this. I'm actually seeing my doctor tomorrow. Maybe she'll recommend massage therapy.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Definitely hate when something like this happens! I actually pulled a muscle in my rib cage 4 days before my first fight ever, and it was the most painful thing trying to still train, and stay in shape. It still hurt a lot leading up to the fight, but once I was in there the adrenalin took over, so hopefully adrenalin is your friend too!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. The last tournament I participated in, I injured my knee right before the tournament. I went anyway, but wound up having to bow out. Ugh. I hope you can find a way to work around it!
  • Six6xiS
    Six6xiS Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately injuries are part of the combat game. I think it is very rare for any fighter to go into a fight at 100%.
  • Victoria2448
    Options
    Unfortunately injuries are part of the combat game. I think it is very rare for any fighter to go into a fight at 100%.

Surprisingly the first time I was injured in class was...a month ago when my partner jammed and broke my toe...and now this thumb. I've been lucky!

So yeah I am entering in this thing with multiple owies..:laugh: Makes me wish it was postponed...so I could get better. Oh and get this...I have a big test the next weekend. My Master is trying to kill me..LOL
  • jfinnivan
    Options
    I agree, injuries are part of the activity. I've broken a toe, a finger, and thrown my back out over the years. Nothing too serious, but the older you get, the longer it takes to recover.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Same here, caused a stress fracture in one of my metacarpals (hand bone), have had bruised ribs, fat pad impingement in my knee, tendinopathy in my achilles and extensor hallucis, stress fracture in my ankle, not to mention the number of bruises

- pretty sure if they ever do an autopsy on me they'll find amazing bone remodelling in my tibias and ulnas!
  • Victoria2448
    Options
    Well I did compete last weekend...and didn't do as well as I could have or should have. The injury held me back and I was very disappointed...I practically gave Grand Champion away to a lady who I am better than.

I did manage 4 medals...2 -3rds (weapons) a silver(technqiues) and a gold (forms)

Our school had 5 grand champions out of 8 categories and came out 2nd overall...so that is awesome!!!

I beat myself up pretty bad after, but now I am over it...testing this weekend!:noway:
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that...I guess it happens to all of us at one time or other. Better luck next time!
  • jfinnivan
    Options
    Well I did compete last weekend...and didn't do as well as I could have or should have. The injury held me back and I was very disappointed...I practically gave Grand Champion away to a lady who I am better than.

I did manage 4 medals...2 -3rds (weapons) a silver(technqiues) and a gold (forms)

Our school had 5 grand champions out of 8 categories and came out 2nd overall...so that is awesome!!!

I beat myself up pretty bad after, but now I am over it...testing this weekend!:noway:
    You still went and competed. That's what really counts. Are there any videos of the event?
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options

That's the plan...it's tough to do weapons and techniques when yur thumb hurts. I really don't want it to become chronic injury.

Which weapon are you competing with? A long weapon maybe easier on your thumb than a short one.
  • Victoria2448
    Options

Which weapon are you competing with? A long weapon maybe easier on your thumb than a short one.

Sword and staff....it's my right hand so I'm screwed..LOL I've been resting all week, hopefully testing doesn't do me in...I'm hoping for a kicking test or something like that.

I did post some video on my fb page...