Having trouble - need advice

Options
(I originally posted this in the weight loss forum. Jen8np kindly recommended I post it here and said this group gives awesome advice! Sorry if you're seeing a double post.)

I know you must hear it all the time, but it seems I just can't lose weight! I could really use some advice. Here's my story.

I'm female, 168.4, 5'4, 26 yrs old. I started dieting in Sept 2010 using a calorie count website. Eating (what I didn't realize at the time was an unhealthy amount) 1250-1350 calories, I lost around 30 pounds in 4 months (I went from 190 to 160). At the time I only worked out around 30 mins, 3-4 times a week. Then, life got in the way and I stopped dieting. Since then, between Feb 2011-Jan 1st 2012, I gained weight but yo-yoed between 167-175. I haven't seen below 167 since Feb 2011.

NOW, since January, I had been eating a minimum of my BMR, usually between 1550-1650 daily, and I was working out 4-5 times a week. I continued to yo yo between 172-168 but kept going up and down. I got so frustrated that I bought a bodybugg (figuring maybe I was burning more or less than I thought). Well, if you consider the bodybugg accurate, on days I work out (which I'm doing almost every day now), I burn between 2250-2550.. but generally it's about 2,350 (which is more than I thought I was burning). I do a mix of cardio and strength training. Upon realizing how much I burn, I tried upping my calories. I now eat around 1,650-1,800 cals a day depending on my workouts. (I usually have a 600-750 daily deficit.) I'm drinking at least 12 glasses of water a day. I'm not on any unusual medication. I'm a vegetarian but I eat healthy - and I have a food scale so I know my counts are pretty accurate. And yet, I can NOT get below 167.8!!! The past 10 days I've bounced between 167.8 and 168.6, and then this morning I'm back up to 169.8. I've been seeing this trend since January. What should I do?? Should I be eating more to try to reduce my deficit further? Honestly, though, it feels like I'm eating SO much right now. It feels like I'm eating more than I was when I wasn't dieting! Should I eat less? I know I really shouldn't eat below my BMR... but it worked for me in 2010... or maybe I just need to go to the doctor? I had my thyroid checked a few years ago but I guess I could check it again.

Anyway - I'm so sorry I wrote a novel! I am just so lost. I hate feeling like I'm doing everything right and yet the pounds won't come off. I'd do anything to see 166 on the scale. Thanks for any thoughts on the matter :)

Replies

• alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump, sorry no answers....
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    (I originally posted this in the weight loss forum. Jen8np kindly recommended I post it here and said this group gives awesome advice! Sorry if you're seeing a double post.)

I know you must hear it all the time, but it seems I just can't lose weight! I could really use some advice. Here's my story.

I'm female, 168.4, 5'4, 26 yrs old. I started dieting in Sept 2010 using a calorie count website. Eating (what I didn't realize at the time was an unhealthy amount) 1250-1350 calories, I lost around 30 pounds in 4 months (I went from 190 to 160). At the time I only worked out around 30 mins, 3-4 times a week. Then, life got in the way and I stopped dieting. Since then, between Feb 2011-Jan 1st 2012, I gained weight but yo-yoed between 167-175. I haven't seen below 167 since Feb 2011.

NOW, since January, I had been eating a minimum of my BMR, usually between 1550-1650 daily, and I was working out 4-5 times a week. I continued to yo yo between 172-168 but kept going up and down. I got so frustrated that I bought a bodybugg (figuring maybe I was burning more or less than I thought). Well, if you consider the bodybugg accurate, on days I work out (which I'm doing almost every day now), I burn between 2250-2550.. but generally it's about 2,350 (which is more than I thought I was burning). I do a mix of cardio and strength training. Upon realizing how much I burn, I tried upping my calories. I now eat around 1,650-1,800 cals a day depending on my workouts. (I usually have a 600-750 daily deficit.) I'm drinking at least 12 glasses of water a day. I'm not on any unusual medication. I'm a vegetarian but I eat healthy - and I have a food scale so I know my counts are pretty accurate. And yet, I can NOT get below 167.8!!! The past 10 days I've bounced between 167.8 and 168.6, and then this morning I'm back up to 169.8. I've been seeing this trend since January. What should I do?? Should I be eating more to try to reduce my deficit further? Honestly, though, it feels like I'm eating SO much right now. It feels like I'm eating more than I was when I wasn't dieting! Should I eat less? I know I really shouldn't eat below my BMR... but it worked for me in 2010... or maybe I just need to go to the doctor? I had my thyroid checked a few years ago but I guess I could check it again.

Anyway - I'm so sorry I wrote a novel! I am just so lost. I hate feeling like I'm doing everything right and yet the pounds won't come off. I'd do anything to see 166 on the scale. Thanks for any thoughts on the matter :)

Sorry you are so frustrated- I would be too!

Personally, I cannot lose weight if I'm over a 15% deficit. I have to keep it closer to 400 cals a day vs 600. It's only 200 cals but BOY does my body notice the difference!

Have you lost any inches? My weight has been the same for two or three weeks now but I've lost another six or seven inches.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I would suggest eating 15% minus your avg calories count on your bodybugg. Also make sure to read the topic on the forum about what to expect when you up calories. You may want to consider a metabolic reset which there is a link on the group homepage that goes over it.

Based on what you wrote, you are in starvation mode and your body hold and adds weight the moment you eat above the low threshold that it is now used to...you have to break that pattern by eating...that is the only way...you will see gain in the beginning, but it will level out then go down...again read those articles and keep us posted.
  • susanslew
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice!! I've thought about a metabolic reset but I'm worried about losing all that time. I realize I'm not losing weight right now, so really I SHOULD take the time to set my body up so it runs properly. But, both of my sisters are getting married in a few months and I just can't be the overweight single sister anymore! It's emotionally draining. I'm not looking to lose a lot or do it in an unhealthy way. I'd love to be around 145 (which is at the high end of my BMI). I realize weight loss isn't a sprint and I can't expect to lose 2 pounds a week like I did in 2010 when I was eating around 1300. I just hate the idea of spending a month+ at maintenance when I'm willing to work out hard and eat at a healthy deficit to lose whatever I can!

Sorry! I'm complaining way too much, and probably sounding vain using weddings as my motivation. But it's more so that I feel like I've wasted the last 3 months counting/weighing every calorie, eating/cooking fresh food (not processed), busting my *kitten* at the gym, and I have nothing to show for it. Anyway - I appreciate your advice and will try eating 15% less than my TDEE, and maybe contemplate trying maintenance for a few weeks.

In response to gemiwing - I unfortunately don't have a body tape measurer. I went to 2 stores this morning to try to buy one but no luck. Perhaps I'll try a fabric store tomorrow. My clothes fit around the same, slightly looser -- but I think that's b/c I've been watching my sodium intake closely and drinking more water so I'm less bloated.

Thanks, again!!
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Based on what you wrote, you are in starvation mode and your body hold and adds weight the moment you eat above the low threshold that it is now used to...you have to break that pattern by eating...that is the only way...you will see gain in the beginning, but it will level out then go down...again read those articles and keep us posted.

Wow... your story and this advice sound like you're describing me!! I've been at a standstill for over a month now and I am definitely frustrated too. I have been decreasing my calories back to what I did when I started this new lifestyle and haven't seen any changes. But I'm now thinking that I need to up them. :explode:
  • susanslew
    Options
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one! It's so frustrating to work so hard for nothing - but I know this is a lifestyle change, not just about losing weight. I just wish it was as simple as cals in vs. cals out!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Exactly ladies a lifestyle change is what the forum is about...not a diet fad. It is about getting back to fueling so our body will function/burn efficiently. During the process you do lose weight, but not like the fad diets. But fad diets is just that a fad...fleeting...the weight comes right back on because you reset your metabolism so low that you start to gain as soon as you eat more.

The metabolism reset...yes there is possibly some gain in the beginning, but then your body starts to burn higher...you revved back up the metabolism then you do a small cut to get a lose. At that point you cut the 15% and every 3/4 day you eat maintenance...your body will not feel deprived and the weight will keep coming off.

AND if you are LIFTING and doing some cardio (NOT A WHOLE LOT...the kill yourself burning a zillion cals), your body will be transforming underneath, so as the muscle you build and tone grow, the fat wears away...you would be amazed...if you could just forget about that scale for a while to focus on setting your metabolism back on the right track...

But I know, I know I know...it is hard...you want the weight off yesterday, we have summer coming up...but like many have said...cutting cutting cutting and cardio caridio cardio isn't doing it...so my thought when I was battling in my mind was the other stuff didn't work, I feel soooo much better fueling my body, so I am going to keep at it. I could never go back to starving again...shoot I now feel like I am starving at times eating 1900 cut...lol. So, there is no way to go back.

Ladies I am right here on this journey with you...sharing what I am doing as I go...I tell you, for me, before I cut my calories I would go UP first and would have to have a solid gain before I EVER cut my calories again...