Question about hunger?

Options
twinmomtwice4
twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
Over the last 3-4 weeks, I've increased my cals slowly. Went from 1400 to 1500 to 1600 and I'm now at 1700 (my TDEE - 20% is 1711 but I like round numbers...I'm anal that way).

Now that I'm at 1700, over the last few days I've noticed I'm hungrier more often, which is strange because I feel like I'm eating every 2-3 hours. Usually my breakfast is around 300 cals and it'll hold me over until my mid-morning snack but I'm finding that I'm hungry before that. Yesterday I ate a light string cheese and an apple for a mid-afternoon snack and I was hungry an hour later.

Is this a good sign that my metabolism is starting to speed up? It feels strange to be hungry when I'm eating this many calories.

Replies

• mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this as well. I upped my calories from 1500 to just above 1800 and I feel like I'm always hungry too.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I have found the same thing happening to me and wish I knew why. It seems the more I eat, the hungrier I am. And it's not just a little hungry, I feel ravenous at snack times even though I just ate a high protein 500 calorie meal two hours before.

Now that I've dropped my calories back down to 1600 a day (long story regarding month long plateaus...), I don't have half the hunger issues I was having when I was eating 2400 calories a day.
  • giag09
    giag09 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bumpers!!! i tend to be more hungry too ! but i am mainting my current weight maybe gained a 1 lb but sometimes i think i could eat alittle more but i worry bc i have calories left at the end of the day but no carbs or sugar left
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    I have found the same thing happening to me and wish I knew why. It seems the more I eat, the hungrier I am. And it's not just a little hungry, I feel ravenous at snack times even though I just ate a high protein 500 calorie meal two hours before.

Now that I've dropped my calories back down to 1600 a day (long story regarding month long plateaus...), I don't have half the hunger issues I was having when I was eating 2400 calories a day.

Yes, that's exactly what's going on with me. It's not like a little tiny bit of hunger pains, it's like a ravenous hunger!

That's interesting that you're not as hungry now that you've dropped your calories. I wonder what that means.

Just when I think I've got it all figured out...LOL
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    bumpers!!! i tend to be more hungry too ! but i am mainting my current weight maybe gained a 1 lb but sometimes i think i could eat alittle more but i worry bc i have calories left at the end of the day but no carbs or sugar left

I haven't weighed myself in about a week, maybe more Just going by how my clothes feel and they're a little bit looser and I feel lighter, if that makes sense. Like, not so sluggish and bloated, kwim?

I very rarely have carbs left at the end of the day too...usually for me I need to eat more fat and protein to meet my macros. A tablespoon of peanut butter or a hard-boiled egg easily takes care of that for me.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I noticed this the past few days as well. I usually never wake up to a rumbling tummy..but I am sure am now..and during the day I am feeling my stomach growling..came as a surprise as I am eating alot!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    This is perfectly normal and yes- it's a wonderful sign. It means your body's hormones are resetting properly to cue you when to eat.

It goes away after about a week. Every time I've upped my cals I get ravenous for two or three days then it levels out but ONLY if I KEEP EATING! Otherwise my body gets confused and doesn't believe I will keep feeding it that amount- if I don't keep eating my body confuses my increase for a binge and nothing has been gained.

Keep fueling yourself- don't give up :)
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    This is perfectly normal and yes- it's a wonderful sign. It means your body's hormones are resetting properly to cue you when to eat.

It goes away after about a week. Every time I've upped my cals I get ravenous for two or three days then it levels out but ONLY if I KEEP EATING! Otherwise my body gets confused and doesn't believe I will keep feeding it that amount- if I don't keep eating my body confuses my increase for a binge and nothing has been gained.

Keep fueling yourself- don't give up :)

Thank you for your response!! That's what I was hoping was going on!! Not giving up by a long shot!!!
  • gemiwing
    Options
    Thank you for your response!! That's what I was hoping was going on!! Not giving up by a long shot!!!

Glad to hear it! By your ticker it looks like you have at least two people who are counting on you to keep going and keep going strong!

You're doing great!!
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Damn... I gave up after 4 weeks. Guess I needed to give it longer. This time I'll up the calories but in smaller portions. I think the jump I made was too drastic on the system.
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    I'm glad I read this, love the info!
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Yes me too! glad to know I'm doing the right thing by keep on eating : )
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    Damn... I gave up after 4 weeks. Guess I needed to give it longer. This time I'll up the calories but in smaller portions. I think the jump I made was too drastic on the system.

I remember one of the leaders of this group said it takes at least 4 weeks (maybe 6) to start noticing a difference. So I just kept that in mind. I'm going on my 4th week now but too afraid to weigh myself...LOL! My clothes feel looser though so I'm feeling good about it.

I upped my calories in small increments too. So maybe just jump back in and increase in small increments.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options

Glad to hear it! By your ticker it looks like you have at least two people who are counting on you to keep going and keep going strong!

You're doing great!!

Thank you!!! :smile:
  • gemiwing
    Options

I think you make a really good point! I upped my cals slower at first- honestly it was mainly out of fear lol. I made a bigger jump toward the end and I do think if I were to do it all again I would go up slower the entire time.

I think my body was just sortof in shock- no food, no food, HOLY CRAP LOOK AT ALL THIS FOOD!! "quick! turn on the stomach! ramp up digestive juices! get the CNS ready to handle all the old activities we used to do- like sweating and growing hair! GO GO GO GO!!'

LOL :D
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I don't recall feeling hungry, but I always made sure to hit my protein ratio...so I was eating about 135gr and up. I actually just changed my ratio to 35% protein so I am getting in more like 166 now.

I couldn't eat a string cheese with an apple because I would be hungry. It is something about an apple that makes my tummy rumble with hunger. I tend to eat it with a protein drink or with a meal instead.

I will tell you, I am finding that as I increase (1200-1350-1500-1800- now at 1900) as my body adjusts after a while I feel like it is almost not enough. My TDEE is 2254 so I am contemplating moving up to 2000. I don't know...I haven't weighed for a while due to a challenge, but if there is no movement on the scale I am going up:-)
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    I couldn't eat a string cheese with an apple because I would be hungry. It is something about an apple that makes my tummy rumble with hunger. I tend to eat it with a protein drink or with a meal instead.

I don't what it is about apple either.... but no matter when I eat them, I get really hungry very soon after. I don't know if it's the sugar spike or what. Think I'll start having it with either my breakfast or lunch and swap to a protein drink as a snack instead.
  • witrixie2011
    Options

I remember one of the leaders of this group said it takes at least 4 weeks (maybe 6) to start noticing a difference. So I just kept that in mind. I'm going on my 4th week now but too afraid to weigh myself...LOL! My clothes feel looser though so I'm feeling good about it.

I upped my calories in small increments too. So maybe just jump back in and increase in small increments.

One of my biggest problems is that I weigh myself every day. I know I shouldn't but the OCD part of me won't let me give that up. I keep trying to tell myself to take pictures and measure but I haven't quite gotten the courage to take that next step.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

One of my biggest problems is that I weigh myself every day. I know I shouldn't but the OCD part of me won't let me give that up. I keep trying to tell myself to take pictures and measure but I haven't quite gotten the courage to take that next step.

I put the scale under my bed. I AM NOT WEIGHING until next Thursday!...You talk about a person addicted to the scale...you can't get any worse than me...lol
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, so please keep that in mind. But I have learned that if I don't get enough fat in my meals I get hungry quickly. I have been reading (listening to actually) Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Tabues. It supports this idea, and talks about how low fat high carb diets are making everyone fat. Its very interesting and I do believe its correct (very dry book though). I would try to incorporate more fat, it helps with satiety.