Strained neck muscle lifting? Chalean Extreme

Options
sedosher
sedosher Posts: 142 Member
I also posted this in the main forum, but thought I might get some responses here. :)

I am on my second week of Chalean Extreme. Which has 3 heavy lifting days and 2 cardio days. Last week after my first lifting day I noticed that I felt like I had a lump in my throat when I would swallow, right in the front in the middle, about where my adam's apple would be. At the time I just thought it was from allergies. However as it got worse and my upper back, between my shoulder blades started hurting too I wondered if it was from lifting. After about 4 days it went away.

Well last night I completed the first workout again and today I am feeling like I have a lump in my throat again after I swallow. Only this time it is a sharper pain and feels like it is radiating to my right shoulder blade. I do not think this is anything serious, but it does bother me and is semi-painful.

There are several exercises that I catch myself lifting my shoulders up and therefore I think I could be straining my neck. Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would recommend is to check your form. Video tape your workout and then check that against a trusted example of a good workout. I videotape every single time I do squats- they're a lot that can go wrong and I know I would figure out how to do it!

Stretching is important too but I assume you know that already :D
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am able to see my reflection while I am exercising, but it definitely isn't the same as it would be to watch it afterwards.

I gave in and went to see a doc. I work at a hospital that has an employee clinic. She thought it was irritation in my pharnx caused by drainage. I'm not totally convinced since it happened on the same day two wks in a row after having completed the same exercise. But she gave me some meds so we'll see if they work. She also thought maybe I shouldn't try to "be superwomen" lifting weight and to try "taking a walk with some 3 pound weights." I just laughed and smiled. haha Of course I'm going to continue on with my plan and just try to pay better attention to form and hopefully next week will be different. I might even skip the workout that is possibly causing this next week just to see if it is an exercise in that workout doing it. :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am able to see my reflection while I am exercising, but it definitely isn't the same as it would be to watch it afterwards.

I gave in and went to see a doc. I work at a hospital that has an employee clinic. She thought it was irritation in my pharnx caused by drainage. I'm not totally convinced since it happened on the same day two wks in a row after having completed the same exercise. But she gave me some meds so we'll see if they work. She also thought maybe I shouldn't try to "be superwomen" lifting weight and to try "taking a walk with some 3 pound weights." I just laughed and smiled. haha Of course I'm going to continue on with my plan and just try to pay better attention to form and hopefully next week will be different. I might even skip the workout that is possibly causing this next week just to see if it is an exercise in that workout doing it. :)

LOL Yeah, I've gotten the 'little lady' talk before from some medical folks. :) The 'oh now why would you want to get all bulky honey? Go to a cardio class and do that instead'. UGH lol no way.

I hope it goes away for you- pain is no bueno! Are you possibly contorting to look in the mirror? That was my hardest thing and why I switched to video taping- I don't have to break correct form to see myself anymore. I just watch the tape later. Hope you get feeling better soon!!