Calorie Burn Question

Options
I've seen that many folks are recording calories burned during workouts (I'm afraid I would become obsessed with it). My questions are: Do you continually adjust for fat lost and muscle built? Also, isn't this program supposed to create a continuous burn and how do we account for that?

Replies

• Wouga
    Wouga Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I record my calories burned only because I wear a HRM during workouts and it makes me feel like I've accomplished more to look at my log and see a good chunk of calories burned. As far as accounting for everything, I don't really worry about it, I figure I paid Jillian to worry about all that for me when I bought the set. I *try* to follow the diet plan and I do the workouts like she tells me to, the rest should fall into place. The recording of calories burned for me is simply a motivational tool so at the end of the day I can look at one page and say I didn't eat bad things, I was under my calories goal, and I busted my butt for at least half an hour.
  • formerpyt
    formerpyt Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks Wouga - I don't have a HRM (heart rate monitor, right?), so I'm taking the "all I can do is all I can do" approach. I have somewhat of an obsessive personality (to the point of having to stop weighing myself for a loooong time), so I was wondering whether I should open the "can of worms" called calories burned. If we burn 250 one day and 175 two days later, can we figure in the "continuous burn" and the amount of muscle vs. fat, etc. etc. etc.

We're all trying. I appreciate you're honest input.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Like Wouga, I count my calories burned DURING the workout.

I also wear a HRM (yep, HeartRate Monitor) during all my workouts. It's useful to get the calories burned to see if you are eating enough, too much and just to see how your fitness level is doing.

I record my Exercise Cals in the diary here but at this point, do not necessarily "eat them back" all the time. I also use them as a Motivational tool to keep me going. It's interesting to note how changing the weights in JMs workouts changes your calories burned and encourages you to do MORE (hopefully)!

There is also the much debated topic here on MFP about whether to eat those exercise calories and how much of an impact it has on your rate of weight loss as well as your overall health as you lose weight and improve your fitness. Most feel that you should but I think it's up to the individual.

Generally, the subject comes up when a person hits a stall in their rate of losing......this is where knowing these numbers could come in handy for you.

I do NOT account for the "continuous burn" that is supposed to occur as a result of her workouts. Not sure how you do that.....

Meanwhile, good luck, work hard, and have fun!!