30s Daily - Friday, April 6

Options
Welcome to our daily thread!

We post here for motivation and support. Feel free to share your successes and your failures. Really, you should feel free to share whatever is on your mind. Just be respectful and expect respect in return.

[Anyone can start the daily thread, just make the new subject and copy and paste the intro. Thanks in advance for your help.]

Replies

• ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Hooray for Friday! Planning to get out for a run this weekend for the first time weeks. We'll see how it goes, I'm not sure what to expect after increasing strength with lifting but doing almost no cardio for the last 6 weeks!
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    After my run on Wed I have a shin splint in my right leg. The old me would just bag exercise totally today, but the new me is going to get on the recumbent bike at the gym instead :)

I woke up STARVING today, not sure why. Could be PMS. Anyway, I just had second breakfast, lol, but it was just some instant oatmeal. Now to fill up on some water!

Happy Friday!
  • AmandaK3
    AmandaK3 Posts: 80
    Options
    Happy Friday! It was so nice to sleep in this morning. Being a Monday to Friday 9 to5er has its perks when long weekends roll around.

Last night I discovered the most amazing food...deep fried pickles. WOW, perfect food with beer. I am now claiming that it's because of the 3 pickle spears I ate, the 4 pints of beer I had had have given me NO hangover. :) I'm not much of a lush so I'm a light weight when it comes to drinking.

Anyways, must find a nice "oven baked" version of fried pickles.

As for workout plans today, I'm going for a nice walk once the ice on the streets melt. We had a really wild rain/snow storm yesterday, then it was sunny and nice so it started to melt. Now it just need to finish so it's not so trecherous.

I've been following this too so I'll have to do my friday at some point. :)

http://itsfitnessbaby.com/1777/
  • lissa0040
    lissa0040 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think of making a group goal next week? In another group I am in we all tried to walk/run/jog 10miles this week. Since our group is growing I wonder if anyone would be interested in shooting towards a goal as a group this upcoming week?
  • SaraGrace82
    SaraGrace82 Posts: 232
    Options
    I love the idea of a group goal! A distance goal is nice since you could make it an" earn it how you may" goal. So if it was like 10 miles people could walk/run/swim/bike/elliptical or really anything that gives you a distance.
  • SaraGrace82
    Options
    Ellie - When I was weight lifting lot's and then started up running, I was amazed at how strong my legs felt. Honestly, in the first few minutes it felt like flying! I hope you have the same experience. :-)
  • lissa0040
    Options
    I love the idea of a group goal! A distance goal is nice since you could make it an" earn it how you may" goal. So if it was like 10 miles people could walk/run/swim/bike/elliptical or really anything that gives you a distance.

Yay! What do you think we should make the goal? Should pick out a few things for people to choose from or make it a distance thing?
  • Theocian74
    Theocian74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been dancing on the kinect for exercise. I think its lots of fun. I'm not quite ready for 10 miles, but im not adverse to trying when i lose a couple pounds.

Food today seemed on track, at least in portion size.

Very emotional day...but under control with diet.

It's been a good day.
  • SaraGrace82
    Options
    What if we did a time goal? So work out for X minutes weekly?
  • ellie78
    Options
    I thought I was making it through easter without all the temptations this year as I don't have any family plans but low and behold I just got home from work to see that my Dad sent me a gift package from Mrs Fields cookies. Not that I don't appreciate the thought, but man those cookies are so tempting!

I would be up for some type of weekly challenge, I've been wanting to add cardio back into my routine so minutes, miles, whatever is good with me.
  • Theocian74
    Options
    X minutes sounds good....a time goal

Do you guys exercise every day? I'm starting with 3days a week.

Got on the scale for fun and discovered I'd gained 4 lbs. yikes....maybe i should wait a couple more days.

I haven't drank much water however today...so i might have some retained.
  • ellie78
    Options
    I'm doing 3 days a week right now because that's what the program I'm doing calls for. I've gone up and down depending on what my goal is. Last spring I started running to train for a race and did 5 days. I tend to get a little excessive with my exercise so I try to keep between 3-5 days and no more.

Don't worry too much about the gain. Your muscles bloat up some while they are repairing, especially if you're starting up with a new exercise. Just keep up with the water, it really does help :smile:
  • shorty313
    Options
    I run 3x week, for about 30-35 minutes. I also lift 3x a week. I'm up for a challenge!
  • lissa0040
    Options
    A time goal sounds good to me too. I started out doing 3 days a week but this week I am doing 5 days a week. I had a train wreck of a day today after a close to perfect week. I just could not pick myself up and then my husband (usually supportive) wanted Chick Fila for dinner. I would have been fine but I decided to have waffle fries. Ugh. Luckily my breakfast and lunch were low enough that the dinner didn't put me over the top. I definitely lost out to emotions today. Tomorrow is a new day I can't let one bad day ruin all the progress I've made this week. Now the challenge is going to be keeping it together over Easter. I don't have any delusions of eating perfect but I need to at least get in an hour workout to not go over on calories.

How much time is reasonable for everyone? I know we are all at different levels so let's think about what is doable for everyone.
  • SaraGrace82
    Options
    How about 60 or 90 minutes of exercise? Less? More?

Theo - My tag line in my profile is "Will exercise for treats." That pretty much sums up my exercise philosophy. When I did Weight Watchers a few years back I was super strict and never ate my exercise points, but then we went on vacation to Costa Rica. I took the 10 days off and ate (mostly) what I wanted but we did tons of outdoorsy things like white water rafting, hiking, and lots of swimming. When I came back I had lost 4lbs. That got me thinking that maybe eating my exercise points (or calories) wasn't such a bad idea. I see much steadier loses when I try to eat some (and occasionally all) of my extra earned calories. All that is to say - I love food - not kidding, seriously love it. So I exercise a fair amount so I can eat. :-) Plus I really like working out as hard as I can. I do about 45-60 minutes a day, everyday except Fridays. On Sundays we go on long hikes. My ideal life is one where athleticism and curry meet.
  • shorty313
    Options
    i think 90 min is a good goal, we can increase from there if it seems too easy. Time is easier to tally than mileage.
  • lissa0040
    Options
    Just to clarify... is 90 minutes for the entire week?
  • Theocian74
    Options
    Easter is coming tomorrow, and I already plan to host the family and friends party. I planned the food before I started calorie counting. I think it will be fairly hard not to overheat. I'm thinking of having a filling breakfast and maybe a meal replacement drink as a snack before the feast. At least my sis is coming and their family is on Weight watchers.
  • crystalkiss
    crystalkiss Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would love to participate in anything that is just x # of minutes. I can't really run that well because of my bad ankles and knees. But maybe a certain amount of time doing any type of exercise would be ok,

Anyhow, looking forward to Easter tomorrow. i know it will be a bit of a challenge with all the good food, but i have decided that as long as I control my portions and stick to just one dessert (i won't deny myself dessert) than i should be fine.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Blueyz82
    Blueyz82 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hey all!

This week was a horrible work out week for me! Between a migraine for 2 days and working longer hours due to Easter, I only got in 2 days of exercise! UGH! I start back into it full gear on Monday! I would be up for a challenge! I work out 4-5 days a week (usually) at 45 minutes minimum each day...Well, I can barely keep my eyes open...Happy Easter everyone!