Just Starting Out

Options
tabulator32
tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
I have always wanted to be a consistent runner but have never made it past being able to jog a block or so while walking the dogs.

Just a few things about me:

Today, I come in just under two hundred pounds on the scale for the first time since I was in high school. I want to give it another shot. When I was at 235 lbs. (my regular weight for the last several years) I was still somewhat active, taking walks and a bit of yard work. I have worked in an office environment for the last 14 years. Even though the doctor's chart says I am "obese," anyone that has seen me would strongly disagree. Even when I told someone who asked that I was around 200 lbs yesterday, everyone stopped and stared and said "Where?!" (Maybe they're just being polite.)

I have always been able to walk forever and keep a good pace. I just want to take it to the next level for more efficient workouts and I think my lighter weight will allow me to do it with less risk of injury.

I don't generally purchase consumable fitness products aside from the occasional vitamins and omega-3 oil so I am not the type to peruse the aisles at GNC. I do try to get all or most of the nutrition I need from eating natural foods.

I have wide feet and have problems finding comfortable shoes in which to run. I recently discovered Vibram five-fingers and they are awesome to wear out and about. I know people report having issues at first running with them but I want to give it a shot and do it safely.

Ok, enough banter from me. taking the above into consideration, any tips, hints and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, guys!

Replies

• renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi Tabulator!

I am so glad I went minimal a little over a year ago. I don't believe that being heavier means that cushioned heels will help in any way. Keep your knees bent and remember to land midfoot or forefoot - avoid heel to toe running and the heel strike at all costs. Less impact that way. That is the one thing -probably the only thing- that all studies (pro and con "barefoot" running) agree on. The minimalist shoes make it easier not to wind up running "on your toes".

Since you are new to running, it shouldn't be difficult to do the "barefoot" thing. The usual advice is to not increase your distance more than 10% a week. Be patient.

I love my vibrams, but now wear softstar runamocs (winter) so I can wear socks when it is near freezing. There was a transition time between the vibrams and the runamocs - the vibrams have more support than they claim. I have heard other people say so, too. Be cautious when transitioning between minimalist shoes of different sorts, would be my advice.

I don't do supplements either. Sometimes I juice, but not always. I would much rather eat a steak that do anything with protein powder... (although when I run distances over 2 hours I use gels). But then, I run for my mental and physical health - I am not a racer.

I run on easy trails near home, and hike in the surrounding wilderness. I want to try running out there, but have to be careful. The nature here is riddled with moors - filled with "pot holes", where even the sheep break bones now and then. So - in some ways, I am also just starting out.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight and advice, renkath!

:smile: