Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

"You're too amazing" is the new "It's not you, it's me"

JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
Just some intel for the ladies... In the last week I've had 3 guys write me something like this, so last night I asked one of my guy friends what gives. And he explained it to me.

When a guy says you're so amazing that he already knows he can't make you happy (so he won't even try), this is *not* your cue to send him 20 texts the next day explaining how down to earth you are and how of course he can make you happy. It's his way of saying he's not into you, but you're such a wonderful woman he doesn't want to hurt your feelings by saying "I don't like you *that* way).

Just thought I'd let you know.

(and, guys, if that's not always true, feel free to jump in and share your thoughts... after all, this is just one friend's opinion)

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Wow.. I think that one is worse than "It's not you, it's me."

Jerks. :grumble:
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    I just tell 'em it's not for me. Sorry. Less confusion that way.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    That's a really lousy line on so many levels. But then again, pretty much all lines or actions are when things cease.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    If a guy said that to me I'd be turned off by his lack of confidence anyway. Of course, that's what I would get for always taking things at face value :/
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    I would say, "Oh, I'm so glad you said that. I was going to tell you the exact same thing! I AM too awesome for you and you could probably NEVER satisfy me in any form or fashion. Let's be friends!"

:flowerforyou:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member
    It is not something I would ever think of saying.
    It sounds to stupid to expect anyone to believe.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    bane! This hurts so much - its like when you're unemployed and willing to try anything and McDonalds tells you that youre overqualified to work there- when you know they really just dont want the hassle of having to pay you.

or something.

I would rather they just quit calling.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Not surprised at all.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Who comes up with *kitten* like that?
  • JanieJack

Honestly, me too. People say they hate that, but to me a man's silence communicates clearly. Though a part of me wishes he could tell me why he poofed, I know that even if I ask I won't get a straight answer.

The few that voluntarily told me why things didn't work out, it's always about kids... I don't want more and they do.

(and, yes, I’m struck by the irony that I get all the guys who want kids and my girls who want to have babies get all the guys who don’t want children. Makes no sense to me)
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    my bf who was dating for 7 months (out of the blue) told me that hes breaking up with me bc I could do so much better then three weeks later he was in another relationship (though that didnt last)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Sometimes I wonder if they're hoping for a certain reaction when they say stuff like that, kind of like how a lot of women will pick a fight with a man just to see if he cares enough to fight back.

The last guy I dated exclusively pulled this stunt where he wanted me to break up with him. You know how they do it ... pretty much constant unacceptable behavior. So I called him on his BS, and he said to me "I just know I am not good enough for you." I agreed with him and wished him the best. He called me a week later to apologize and said he wanted to see me again. Men ...
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    I've said it before, but for a time the book "He's Just Not That Into You" was my literal dating bible. Somewhere in the book it said that a guy would rather do ANYTHING than tell you he's not into you -- so anything other than him tripping all over himself to win your affections means he's not into you...which includes "you're too amazing" and other similar statements.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    I've said it before, but for a time the book "He's Just Not That Into You" was my literal dating bible. Somewhere in the book it said that a guy would rather do ANYTHING than tell you he's not into you -- so anything other than him tripping all over himself to win your affections means he's not into you...which includes "you're too amazing" and other similar statements.

You're too amazing......not to kiss! :heart:
  • Learning2LuvLindsay
    Learning2LuvLindsay Posts: 1,142 Member

^^^I agree with this! There are times when I wish I hadn't read the book because I hope the guy is the exception to the rule. Then the dumbbutt does something really stupid and makes me realize that darn book is always right!
  • JanieJack
    so anything other than him tripping all over himself to win your affections means he's not into you

Exactly! A man who really loves you pours on the attention. A guy who poofs then reappears, who doesn't want to take pictures with you, who doesn't respond to your texts and such is not into you. Even if, when you are together, you have an amazing time. Even if he's always trying to convince you he's not looking for anyone else. He’s really only doing that because nothing else yet came along.

I still hang out with such guys when I don't have something better to do. Most of my guy friends are that way, and they’re fun, great guys! But I always keep in the back of my mind that one day they're gonna meet some woman who knocks them off their socks. And when they do, you’ll know it. And so will the world. And if you don’t realize this about men, you will be devastated. Heck, I *know* this about men, and it still hurts a little sometimes.

:wink:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member

Honestly, me too. People say they hate that, but to me a man's silence communicates clearly. Though a part of me wishes he could tell me why he poofed, I know that even if I ask I won't get a straight answer.

Not me. There is nothing worse than just having a guy disappear. I would much rather have him tell me I'm too good for him -- at least that shows he cared enough to try to spare my feelings in some way. It's lame, but it's better than some of the alternatives.
  • tfbrave77
    tfbrave77 Posts: 29 Member
    I have been getting a lot of "I'm too busy to date right now" excuses lately. I had been taking them on their word until one who no more than 2 weeks after I asked and got the line she began dating some other guy. Now I wonder if they have all been their way to brush me off. Oh well.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,307 Member

Not me. There is nothing worse than just having a guy disappear. I would much rather have him tell me I'm too good for him -- at least that shows he cared enough to try to spare my feelings in some way. It's lame, but it's better than some of the alternatives.

I have been "dumped" by ladies before after a couple of get togethers via a cold shoulder and I would put that at on par with some BS line.
    Just once it would be nice to get an honest discussion about whatever was wrong or a polite retreat but I guess I am dreaming about that.
  • JanieJack
    I would much rather have him tell me I'm too good for him -- at least that shows he cared enough to try to spare my feelings in some way.

I can see that. It’s just that when I got this kind of a message 3 times in a week, I wondered if perhaps my posts were giving the wrong impression. If all the men think you’re too good for them, then you’ll never get to keep one ;-)

But now that I know it’s just a polite way of saying he’s not interested, I can deal.