Finding your magic number (calories)

Options
Nenabobena
Nenabobena Posts: 79 Member
I just read a post at coachcalorie.com that shows you how to figure out your that magic (calorie) number for weight loss on your own (I've found that the TTE calculators are all off and give you different numbers)

Basically it tells you to start at 2000 calories, then if you are experiencing weight loss to up your calories by 500, then if you are still losing weight, to up your calories by 500 again (crazy!) until you experience weight gain... after you find the intake of calories that makes you weight gain, then you reduce your calories by 500 per day. Here is the exact quote:

"Once you find the calorie intake that causes you to add weight, start to subtract 500 calories per day for every pound you want to lose per week. If you want to lose 1 pound per week, then subtract 500 calories per day. If you want to lose 2 pounds, then subtract 1000 calories per day."

Everyone is different so I like the idea of finding your own number on your own... Here is the link if anyone is interested in reading the whole article. I hope it helps!

http://www.coachcalorie.com/how-many-calories/

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I get the theory but my concern is the huge 500 cal jumps that apply to everyone- I'd rather have a personal TDEE that I can tweak by single calories if I want. I don't see it as magic- I just see it as math. 15-20% off my TDEE- bam, weight loss.

I'm also concerned about the 1000 cal deficit option- I work so hard in my weight training.. I really, really don't want to lose any more muscle than I have to y'know? The 1000 deficit could leave you far below your BMR if you aren't careful.

I AM glad you found something that you think will work for you- and that's a good thing :)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Those numbers just seem drastic and will come at the cost of muscle loss. Whatever we do, it must be maintainable. TDEE calculators are a starting point where you can increase up or down slowly but not send your body into shock by a drastic cut. A lot of what I have read says, never to do drastic cut of 500, but 200-300 from maintenance cals. Let us know how it goes.