Shortened periods from weight loss/diet change?

Options
ragekage21
ragekage21 Posts: 106 Member
Hi everyone!
Awesome group, by the way. Love that it's here for questions that might not be as well-received on my profile :)

Here's my question: Since January, I've lost almost eight pounds and have upped my exercise from nil to several times a week in most cases. Usually, my period is quite regular--25 day cycle, lasts 3-4 days--without any sort of birth control (I've never been on it). The past two months (March and April) my period has come on time...but barely lasted a day. Last month it "came back" about a week later, so I'm not sure if this month it will do the same. I also can't discount stress as a factor, since work has been NUTS right now.

My question: is this normal? Have you experienced significantly lighter periods during the beginning stages of weight loss, when your body is getting readjusted to a new way of life?

Thanks for any reassurance or suggestions you can give :)

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what might be going on. Exercising can do it, but usually it involves really heavy exercising and losing a lot of weight.
    Is the period heavy but shorter or lighter in general? Ever since I started exercising, mine generally does last 3-4 days, with the middle 2 days heavy and the bookend days light. But it hasn't slowed significantly like you.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    To be honest, my periods are not regular at all unless I'm on birth control pills. I have noticed a correlation between my weight and my hormones though. When I was on the pills, I was hungrier, and now that I'm off them, I have more energy and am less hungry. When I stopped taking them, my period completely stopped for three months. I spoke with my doctor about it and he said that since I'm not trying to have kids, he's not worried about it as long as I feel ok.

If you feel weak or if you find other symptoms like hair falling out or your skin looking a little gray, you should get things checked out or maybe eat some extra food, but if you are feeling fine and it's just your period acting weird, it's probably not a big deal.

My period is always weird unless I doctor it up with medication, and it's not worth the side effects to do so.