Group in a rut....

I need some help. We are a small TOPS group, in a small town. We seem to be in a rut lately. We have about 5 people who come pretty regularly and will stay after weigh ins most of the time. In the fall we had an open house and got 6 new members. Of those 6, only 3 have kept coming back, but maybe just once a month. We have about 20 on our charter, but having problems getting them to come to the meetings. We've sent out survey to see what members would like to see, if a different day would work better, etc but didn't really get any different feed back from it.

Has this happened to any of your groups? What did you do to turn it around? We've had several members suggest another open house, but I feel like we need to get our "regulars" coming consistently first.

Looking forward to everyone's ideas and input! I recently became treasurer and looking forward to making this group be all it can be. I've been apart of TOPS since March 2011 and know that the group is what you put into it and we can't MAKE members come. But I'd like for them to WANT to come.

Replies

• MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    You need at least four members to have a group; at least to start one.

My last group had about 5 members when I had to leave because of my schedule and moving (when I started attending 2 & 1/2 yrs ago there was 30-ish). They keep meeting, keep weighing in and supporting each other, which is the important thing. Since there are so few members, they've been going on a lot of field trips ie a spice shop or Bob's Redmill, because it's easier to coordinate with so few people... driving and traveling issues etc.

Are there enough members coming each week to have a meeting, ie the regulars, did you say five or eight?

We're in a big city and that happened. The group has had a couple open houses and moved to a different location with lots of churches around that members were involved in, they thought they'd get new members in that area but it didn't happen.

Hang in there! ... and keep on dropping those pounds!!!
  • allishaFaye
    allishaFaye Posts: 53 Member
    our group has 47 members and i dont think we have had it once that all the members have stayed.. alot weigh and leave. but we usually have a good 20. :) jsut keep going and being positive and you will succeed! best of luck!!
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    We have 25 members (18 TOPS and 7 KOPS). We usually have about 19 and the stay for the whole meeting. I think 76% is awesome. Most are retirees, I am the spring chicken at 51!
  • magtize
    magtize Posts: 42 Member
    We have 37 members of which 10 to 15 stay for meetings.We average about 15 to 19 weigh in a every week.
    We put articles in the paper about what our chapter is doing.Also have speakers come in and talk about healthy living,foods and exercise.We have fund raisers and get word out that way.Check out TOPS.org lots of good ideas in there to keep meetings interesting.Good luck
    Elaine
    Co leader of TOPS