Okay... confused about the whole 'starvation mode' thing.

Options
So,

On the main boards there is a big back and forth about calorie deficit. but one of the things mentioned is that if you're obese/have more than X number of pounds to lose you can have a large deficit without an issue.

Is this true? Currently I am following MFP's numbers as much as possible, but can I go lower? and if so, by how much? Without exercise MFP gives me 2100 calories at losing 2 lbs per week... can I lower that without causing an issue?

What have you guys found to work for you for a deficit?

Thanks,

Replies

• LouisAA1978
    LouisAA1978 Posts: 275
    Options
    i asked the directer of my gym the same thing about eating to few calories i said as long as your losing weight dont feel weak and are not hungry then its fine to go low but i had to start eating more cause i hit a plateau i didnt lose for 2 weeks and i upped my cals and started back losing you know your body best but if you get hungry and have the calories eat i did alot of research online before i did up my cals though
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    As long as my weight loss is as expected based on my calorie deficit and I am not hungry, I will stay between 1150 and 1300 calories. I also work at making these quality calories.

I think the concept of "starvation mode" will apply more to people with less to lose, but I am only on day 65....time will tell.