struggling to eat more

Options
smith176
smith176 Posts: 27 Member
I've been eating around 500 - 700 calories per day for a while now, and after losing a few pounds, my weight loss has now come to a complete stop. MFP tells me that I need to be eating at least 1200 calories, but I really struggle to even reach 1000... 700 calories fills me up, so eating any more just makes me feel sick from being so full. Should I be gradually increasing my calories to make this easier or are there some simple tips to help up my calorie intake? I'm also terrified that eating more will make me gain back the weight that I've lost... will eating more really help aid my weight loss?

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You must read what to expect when upping which is at the top of topics. Also read he topic on TDEE and calculate your BMR and TDEE to determine the cals you should work up to

Try eating more calorie dense food such as nuts, peanut butter, olive oil, avocado, greek yogurt, coconut oil, protein shakes.

Yourbody is in starvation mode...you have been eating under your BMR and your metabolism slows to conserve energy. Not providing your body the proper nutrients is damaging.

You will get used to eating if you continue to up your intake ovet time. Eat 6 small meals and start early.
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    About a month ago, I was netting a couple hundred under my BMR (about 1400 daily) and exercising 6 days a week. I was slowly gaining weight every day..... I figured I wasn't working out enough (even though I used to do no exercise at all) and eating too much. I asked the MFP community for help and they told me I was starving myself. Even though I was eating 1800 calories a day and burning 4-500 thru exercise, I was pushing my body into conservation mode (I hate the term starvation mode). My body was fighting back trying to hold on to anything it could to survive and thus I was slowly gain. Not because I was eating in excess... but because I was eating in such a deficit.

Now I've learning that i really do need to eat more to loose. I upped my calories about a month ago and now I'm trying to net a couple hundred above my BMR (about 1650 daily) and I take more rest days than I think I should and the weight is starting to come off.

Just be aware that you might gain before you start to loose again. The body works in mysterious ways and sometimes you just need to give it enough time to try to figure out what you really want it to do.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It does get easier to eat more.

I was full at 1200 and I couldnt imagine eating more. I had health trouble caused by the low calories (it can bring on gall bladder attacks not nice) so I was forced to increase calories. Gall bladder pain was a great motivator to get past the milder discomfort of eating more.

I went up cals (1400)and felt overfull for a couple of days and then it was fine, my body adjusted and now I am at about 2000 cals a day still losing and feeling great. I can't imagine surviving on 1200 now let alone less than that.

Perservere for your health sake, your body needs the extra energy and nutrients desperately.