portioning your food, cooking just for you??????

Options
mfisher16508
mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
Eating is hard, I dont know why but it is sooo cumbersome tht some days its just easier to mix up a protien shake because I dont want to make too much food.
So I am going to tell you how I have taken to portioning my food before I freeze it (meat) ect and what I buy that comes in handy and then could you please tell me how you portion yours, what you buy that makes your eating easier, what you pack for work ect...cause I know I need more than protein shakes.

Feel free to check out my diary as well.

What I do:
I portion out my ground meat into 1/2 cup portion cups with the lids from ziploc or whoever and then freeze them
Chicken breast: I usually just buy the tenders boneless skinless and freeze them one by one, lol..
Frozen veggies: 1/4 cup in a baggie or portion cup

What I buy that makes my life easier:
those chicken of the sea tuna cups that are ready to eat....perfect for work
instant mashed taters in the single serving cups
the green giant just for one frozen veggies (but not the ones with the cheese sauce they were yucky)
the single servings of fruit in the cups, no sugar added...ect ect you get the drift.....

how do you do it?

Replies

• beckybernardo
    beckybernardo Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a really good idea and you are getting it figured out...
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm following the guide that the nutritionist gave me, which calls for a 1/4 cup , but no more than a 1/2 cup at a meal. I haven't real cooked anything yet, but I have done instant mashed potatoes. I'm now up to canned Tuna and Chicken or deli meats.
    Tomorrow will be interesting, because we are going to a family dinner, which I'm looking forward to, because I get to see everyone. I know there will be some things I can eat, but it will be off a smaller plate.
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    thats what I do too, the turkey that I put in the 1/2 cup portion cups fills half, its like 1-2 oz uncooked, I weigh it before I put it in. I eat off the smaller plate as well, today I had turkey and a few bites of mashed instant taters....and I was full. I am lackin in the water dept today though, and its hard to get caught up.
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    I should clarify.....what I meant was how do you portion your food pre cooking, like when you buy meat at the grocery store, how do you do it...do you eat what you cook for your family ( I do sometimes, unless it involves noodles, I cant tolerate noodles at all)

do you make many meals ahead of time, I am thinking about making 3 frozen dinners for work. I dont know.
  • tena_moran
    tena_moran Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When my family feels like "mexican food" - I go to the Mexican Mkt and buy the healthest ready made food: spanish rice, fresh beans, (not refried), and the chicken ect... THEN... when I get home I take my 1/2 cup lil containers and layer the food in them.
    beans first, then rice, and chicken on top * I put some of the juice from the chicken in so it won't be dry when I re-heat it.

This is such a treat when I have it for lunch at work. ; ) yummy!

The small tuna cans are good for single servings, as well or the small greek yogurts.

I find portioning my meals out before hand eleminates the mess I get into when I am hungry and over serve myself!