Rough week

Options
Well this week has been the week of change. Not only is the weather getting warm (I am in AZ so this is not a good thing), two friends are moving away, my husband started a new job, I am back as a part-time stay-at-home mom and business owner, every possible legal thing that I have to do is due this month (long story, but it include probate, guardianship, conservatorship and taxes) and well I am just having a really hard time with it all. Oh yeah and my hormones are NOT helping me.

Needless to say I am struggling with my food. I am 8-weeks post-op, which means I am allowed more foods, well I haven't seen my doc but I have taken it upon myself to add in caffeine, diet soda and a little bit of carbs (mostly healthy carbs with a few exceptions). I feel like a failure. Here I am 2 months out and I am already screwing up. How can I make this long-term? Exercise has been non-existant because I have been so very tired and because of a back problem (I can't walk very far without issues). Mostly it is lack of motivation. I should be so happy, and really I usually am, that I have lost 35 pounds, but like so many of us I am scared I will end up right back where I started....

Hopefully this is just a rough week and I will get back on track soon.

Replies

• PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Everyone is afraid to end up where they started. I know I was and still am. I'm 18 years post op. I recently gained 35 lbs and have got to get a grip on it before it gets out of control.

I can't really advise you on what you eat or don't eat or should eat or shouldn't eat. But, I can tell you what my doctor had me do all those years ago.

I was not allowed any soda. And the reason for that was that the fizz in it made the stomach pouch swell. the only way I could enjoy it was to put it through the blender first to remove any possibility of it having the fizz.

My stomach pouch was the size of my surgeon's thumb when I had my roux en y gastric bypass done. I was allowed one ounce of baby food for six weeks. After that, I was allowed one ounce of soft food like mashed potatoes and gravy. No rice. Rice swells in your stomach. He had me eat often and very slowly. It would take me 30 minutes to eat a meal of one ounce. I'm talking really slow. I learned very quickly that if I ate fast or didn't chew well, it would come right back up.

I lost over 200 lbs in the course of two years dropping from 330 to 112. He had explained to me that my weight would be way too low for a while and he wanted me to weigh 160 at my age and height. He was right. When my weight finally leveled out I was exactly 160 lbs for about 15 years.

Last year, I broke my arm and some of the medicine my orthopedist had me on made me eat like a wild banshee. I gained 35 lbs and it has just got to go. And now is the time. If you think I can be of help or support to you, you are welcome to friend me.
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me is if it's a breakfast then I make 'good' choice for that meal. I don't think too far ahead, just one meal at a time. Exercise is tough especially when your calories are low, but if you don't want alot of excess skin or to lose muscle then you have to exercise. I walk, I'm not fast, but I try to walk everyday and allow myself off one day a week.

I'm 8 weeks post op too. There are lots of 'what ifs' but don't give up on yourself! It might even be a good idea to check in with the doctor for a follow up visit.

Hang in there!!! I don't discuss my journey with anyone except you guys here. It is so great to have people to talk to and know we're all taking the same journey.

You can do, you are 35 pounds down in a short time! Hang in there!
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    When are you supposed to see your doctor again. The post above mentioned that and it is a good idea to check in with him or her when you are unsure of anything at all.
  • cjthumper
    cjthumper Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in Arizona too, in the Peoria area.

I had my RNY on December 13, 2011. Best decision ever! Don't know who your doctor is, but keep up with your routine visits, and if they have a support group, join it or go to it. I have gone to one every month so far, and it is a great place to hear about people like you and learn that you are not alone.

Also, please feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I don't have many friends on the site, and having someone from my home state would be helpful.

All I can say is what they told me throughout my process - the surgery is only a tool, not a magic wand. You still need to be an active participant in these changes.

You can do it, we all can!
  • jmurphyaz
    jmurphyaz Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have a scheduled appointment next week and am looking forward to touching base with the nutritionist. The funny thing is I know what to do and not to do. I thought the fear of surgery would shock me into shape--at least keep me from making bad choices so early on. Food is a friend of 34 years, so breaking that "friendship" has been tough.

I missed the last support group that was scheduled and there is another one in a week I believe, but it conflicts with work. I got freaked out when Peggy mentioned the stretching out of my pouch, so no more soda for me! And I am going to quit eating off plan until I talk to the doc and nutritionist next week. I know I need to listen to them and stop being so stubborn!

Thank you all for your support and understanding. It is nice to have a support system that doesn't cast stones and understands the ups and downs of this addiction.
  • PeggyWoodson
    Options
    I am so sorry I freaked you out. But I know exactly where you are coming from with the fears you have. I always tell new gastric bypass people. They fix your stomach not your head. I had my GB in September. November and Thanksgiving came around and I prepared dinner as I normally would have. Gathered with all my children and grandchildren and got everyone served and went and fixed my plate. Got to the table with it and sat down. All three of my daughters, almost in unison, said Moooooommmmmmm!!! ;You know that real whiny Moooommmmm that sounds like a song. I looked at my plate and there was no way I could have eaten what was on there. I totally forgot the surgery for a moment and fixed a normal plate. My girls laughed at me so hard. I had to go back and get another plate. I put 1 teaspoon of everything on my plate and couldn't eat all of that.
    So keep in mind. Your stomach is fixed but your head sure isn't. Again, I'm so sorry for freaking you out. It is just that that was one thing my doctor was strict about.
    It was a long time before I could drink colas.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm 3.5 years out from gastric bypass and at goal weight. I have kept off all 200 pounds I have lost. The biggest lesson I had to learn was to forgive myself. Forgive myself for gaining weight, forgive myself for having surgery, and forgive myself along the way when I messed up. You have to forgive yourself and move on from here. You know you need to learn healthy habits if you want to get to goal and stay there. Period.

Personally, I stay away from soda. The overwhelming majority of people I know in real life who drink it post-op never got to goal or have gained back a ton of weight.

Exercise: I did none until the 7 month mark. Now I stay active. My surgeon tells us you can lose without exercising, but to keep it off you must exercise.

You can do this!!
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better today! I was out of town for the weekend, so sorry to be late to reply. I go back for the 2 month check on the 18th - is that when your is? Maybe we can do lunch or coffee!!
  • jmurphyaz
    Options
    Thank you Laura. I know forgiving is sometimes the hardest Part!

Susan - yes let's do coffee. My appointment is on Tuesday. I am in Tempe so Scottsdale is a quick trip on the 101 :)
  • jmurphyaz
    Options
    Oh and Peggy. No worries. Thank you for freaking me out. That seems to be the best for me because I get a bit obstinate about things until they are shocked into my brain :)