Body Fat %

Options
12by311
12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
I am 5'7, 164, current bf% 27.4. It was 29% in October. So it's down 2 from then without really trying. I can't remember what I weighed then.

I am trying to figure out what my realistic goal should be for my body fat %. Anyone have any pointers??

Replies

• ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Your body fat % can keep changing even if your weight doesn't. If you don't want to lose any more weight, you can keep your calories high enough to stay the same but keep strength training more and let your body fat change. If you do want to lose weight, obviously you can do it that way too. I think the "healthy range" is 18-25% (I'm not sure if I'm right on that) so maybe aim for something in the middle of that? But mostly, if you feel comfortable, then you're probably just fine :) 27% ain't bad!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    For most women it is hard, and not really recommended to dip below the 16% or so level (the exception is figure competitors/athletes/bodybuilders who sometimes go as low as single digits, but that is a VERY temporary state)

The numbers for men and women vary greatly in order to factor in our hormones, breasts, ovulation, etc.

For women:
    Athletes are usually around 14-20%
    "Fit" women are 21-24%
    Average is 24-31%
    Obese is 31%+

(based on ACE standards)

~Kiki
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.

I believe I am going to shoot for around 24%!