Do you eat the calories it adds when you exercise?

Options
Nektariosmom
Nektariosmom Posts: 69 Member
Hi, I am new to MFP. Only one week into it. I was wondering, for the women who have lost weight already, are you consuming the calories it adds when you add in exercise and are you still losing weight? I feel like I am eating too much when I do eat those calories on top of my 1200 calorie allotment because it adds on as much as a whole extra meal for my day. I haven't lost any weight yet but I usually don't until the second week of a diet. What is your experience?

Replies

• sehrler
    sehrler Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So many people say to do that, but I never tried it--if I hit a major plateau I guess I would give it a shot but not eating them works for me, so I'm sticking with what works for my body. I just can't get it out of my head that "all that hard work will go down the drain" if I eat them back! Silly I know, but it's just how my mind is programmed to think I guess.
  • student37
    student37 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't try to eat back any extra calories. It is good for me to see what I eat and what I actually use. I have to admit that Easter weekend kicked my butt. I put 2 pounds back on...major bummer. Just means I will have to work harder.
  • Nektariosmom
    Options
    Ohhhh, now I feel bad. I was eating nutter butters when it said I could eat 400 more calories! Shoot. lol
  • nyama1
    nyama1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do not add the calories because it will be added lbs for me.I think of it as a challenge.
  • deebelky
    deebelky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    if i add the calories i do not lose weight either. maybe i don't work out as hard as some of those that actually do eat the calories--i don't know. but, i think it's an individual thing. some people are really passionate about it though and will tell you to eat the calories!
  • skichick1968
    Options
    I never ate calories to compensate for working out & since I'm at the gym all of the time, I've discovered I wasn't eating enough! So now I try to be close & I'm finally losing.
  • Nektariosmom
    Options
    I find I am starving if I don't eat more than my 1200 calories so I have been exercising every day for a week just so I can eat more. Today was bad. My stomach felt so empty all day. I wonder if my body is adjusting to this healthier eating and exercise and I will stop being so hungry, Thanks for the advice.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I dont starve myself, but I rarely eat my exercise calories. I have them "banked" just in case I didnt measure my portions correctly... or the calorie burn was not as high as MFP says it is.

I am losing slowly, but then as my doctor says, any loss of weight is good. Keep plugging at it and we'll get there!
  • LadyJos
    LadyJos Posts: 29
    Options
    The extra calories added is to help you build muscles. It's important to add weight training to your workouts. If you are working out say 3 days a week incoporate weights on the 1st and 3rd day. If no weight training then best to stick to your specified calorie, but keep in mind you still need to tighten muscle. Hope this helps.