Applying for air ambulance now I'm a bit fitter!

Options
About 3 years ago I applied to join the air ambulance team here in Cornwall, UK. At the time I was what I considered average fitness & weight for my size. Part of the assessment was to run a mile in 9 minutes. I did a little bit of training & as that went well I happily (but nervously!) turned up for the physical. We had a clinical scenario on which I scored really high, did the required lifting tests then headed for the run only to discover that we were expected to run on a wet, muddy playing field which had a slight incline on it! Brilliant! I was one of only two women who applied & my colleague gave up half way round, got nebulised then went home! So - I came in with a time of 9:38 & nearly collapsed!! I went on to complete the swim assessment but of course that was worthless...

Since then I have been travelling & have definately gained a few pounds! (I didn't own a set of scales before MFP!) Last year I was the first woman to join the motorbike response team & have ticked along quite nicely. Last week, the Trust advertised for the air ambulance again, and naturally I was interested! The fitness test is the same - only this time I've been running for a few weeks using Couch to 5k! As a test of how much work I have to do, I ran hell for leather for a mile a couple of days ago and was delighted to come in at 8:42!

I'm not sure I want to actually join the team, though as it will mean not riding the motorbike - & I love that! (Apparently you don't actually get to 'drive' the helicopter!) I am going to apply though - if only to turn up to the physical assessment & storm the run!!

Replies

• tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Good luck, if you didn't take it already. The aeromedical services seem to be a lot more demanding than where I am. I doubt any of the prehospital RNs or flight paramedics I've met could pull that off.